Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clip in the middle of hubs

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 05:13 AM
Wharf Rat

Bikes: Miyata 610, Miyata 710, Cannondale SM500

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

I see these on some older hubs. Looks like some sort of clip right in the middle. Can someone tell me what they are?
Thanks
Old 06-18-19, 05:46 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The clips cover a small hole that was used to add oil. Grease is basically a soap-like carrier with oil added. The pre-synthetic greases would loose the oil and harden over time. You would periodically add oil through the port under the clip to "refreshen" the grease. Also, there were some cases where cyclists preferred to use oil over grease, such as track racers and time trialists. Way back in the 1890s, during the first bicycle boom, one of the hot topics of debate was whether it was better to oil or grease hubs,

Last edited by T-Mar; 06-18-19 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-18-19, 07:04 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
there were some cases where cyclists preferred to use oil over grease, such as track racers and time trialists.
I've always found it curious that Campagnolo's Record road hubs had an oil port in the hub shell, but the Record track hubs did not. They both had a small port in the dustcap, so I guess that's how you were expected to add oil to the track hubs.
Old 06-18-19, 07:31 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
It’s where you add speed.
EVERYONE knows that....right?
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 06-18-19, 07:32 AM
T-Mar

As an afterthought, I guess they should be referred to more generically as a lubrication ports, as some cyclists did use them to inject grease.
Old 06-18-19, 07:37 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I've always found it curious that Campagnolo's Record road hubs had an oil port in the hub shell, but the Record track hubs did not. They both had a small port in the dustcap, so I guess that's how you were expected to add oil to the track hubs.
I always liked the two piece plastic dust caps that were introduced on New Dura-Ace (7400 series). The lubrication ports could be opened and closed, and they are so much easier to remove and install than metal dust caps.
Old 06-18-19, 11:42 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat
I see these on some older hubs. Looks like some sort of clip right in the middle. Can someone tell me what they are?
Thanks
They're called oil clips, but they are just for aesthetics, not for oiling anymore. They look ... right. Campy hubs without them, like the nuovo tipo, look naked, like something is missing.
Old 06-18-19, 11:53 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Way back in the 1890s, during the first bicycle boom, one of the hot topics of debate was whether it was better to oil or grease hubs,
Given the content of many a thread here, the wheels of debate are among the best-lubricated and longest-running.....
Likes For madpogue:
Old 06-18-19, 12:00 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Given the content of many a thread here, the wheels of debate are among the best-lubricated and longest-running.....
They were reportedly so good, that some people were known to draw fake oil hole covers on plain hubs.
Old 06-18-19, 12:56 PM
Wharf Rat

Bikes: Miyata 610, Miyata 710, Cannondale SM500

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I would’ve never guessed that’s what they were for. Thanks for solving that mystery for me.
Old 06-18-19, 01:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you spot those on camera lenses, they're for refreshing the bokeh.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-18-19, 02:26 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^ Important. Nothing worse than the smell of stale bokeh....

Who knew that, back when we used what are now "C&V" 35mm cameras (before they were C or V), that one day there would be a high-falutin' word for "the stuff that's intentionally out of focus"?

(Gets me thinking - if I mount my 45-year-old 10.5cm F2.5 full manual AI-hacked lens on my D750, can I call the out-of-focus background "bokeh"?)
Likes For madpogue:
Old 06-18-19, 03:43 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
It’s where you add speed.
EVERYONE knows that....right?
Yup!, Speed Juice Ports!
Old 06-18-19, 04:36 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Yup!, Speed Juice Ports!
Maybe also, "Intimidation Ports", because if you see someone (or better yet, their mechanic) putting some oil in on the starting line of a race, you know that guy means business.
Old 06-18-19, 05:00 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
"Back when" there was a new guy in the club who fancied himself an Expert on the TT and endlessly slagged on and on about how we simply had no clue on how to set-up for the event.
Considering that this was in the day before dedicated funny bikes existed and the total prep for a TT was:

1) Bury stem
B) Fit straight-block on race wheels
III) Attach mechanical stopwatch holder to bars (don't forget to wind the watch)
4) Have at it

I was informed that the only way to be competitive was to replace bearing grease with Oil, which he dutifully pumped into the oil port on his Campag hubs before the start.
At "3-2-1 Go!" he slipped his rear wheel on the held start having never tested it's QR security in a big gear launch and promptly fell over in a heap to DNF while leaking oil onto the road having gone nowhere. An impressive demonstration of paying rapt attention to the less than marginal while totally ignoring the completely Essential.

I still laugh about that many years on, he is forever known as "Slippery_Sam" to us.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 06-18-19 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 11:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^ Important. Nothing worse than the smell of stale bokeh....
Did Sigma include bokeh calibration with their USB Dock?

Who knew that, back when we used what are now "C&V" 35mm cameras (before they were C or V), that one day there would be a high-falutin' word for "the stuff that's intentionally out of focus"?
I blame/thank Mike Johnston for creating the bokeh craze in the US. As a writer/editor for Photo Techniques in the '90s, Mike wrote about the Japanese concept of boke, changing the spelling to bokeh to help Americans with the approximate pronunciation. For years, even to most Japanese folks, boke just referred to one's dotty, forgetful or foolish uncle ("fuzzy" headed, like fuzzy out of focus areas). Johnston basically conveyed the concept of bokeh as a description of the subjective *quality* of the out of focus areas, so there was good, bad and middling bokeh.

(Gets me thinking - if I mount my 45-year-old 10.5cm F2.5 full manual AI-hacked lens on my D750, can I call the out-of-focus background "bokeh"?)
Why not? My 105/2.5 AI Nikkor is one of the best lenses I've ever owned, sharp even wide open with generally good bokeh. But most Nikkors show what the Japanese called nisen-bokeh, with rather harsh edges, often doubled or tripled, a result of over-correction in pursuit of optimal sharpness, contrast, etc. The best Nikkor bokeh I've seen is with my old pre-AI 180/2.8 ED. The 85/2 AI-S is very good too. Most of my Nikkors show that nisen-bokeh. Older Canon FD and pre-FD lenses often had more pleasant bokeh. But if you ask Olympus fans, Zuikos were pre-injected at the factory with the best bokeh, then the bokeh injection port was sealed so only Maitani could reach it again.
Old 06-19-19, 12:45 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat
Thanks
Holes are for grease injection. Slide the cover to the side and pump the hub with grease until the old contaminated stuff shoots out both sides. Hubs are now good as overhauled.

Anticipating the concerns of fussy and pedantic C&V individuals here, I will respond in advance that yes, the extra grease in the hub shell will add 0.2 Watts of extra resistance, until the surplus oozes out over time.

And yes, purging with grease will not clean out 100% of the old. The horror. Maybe only 95% clean. Repeat the purge and now only 5% of 5% remains. Clean enough now?

The old Campagnolo Record freewheel hubs were the best wet weather hubs ever made. No seals. But since it only takes a few minutes to clean out the internals of these by grease injection, they could last forever. These are the hubs I used on my rain bike.
Old 06-19-19, 04:56 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I obviously need to inject some speed juice into my bokeh ports.
If only I could find the right nozzle.
Old 06-19-19, 05:10 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Holes are for grease injection. Slide the cover to the side and pump the hub with grease until the old contaminated stuff shoots out both sides. Hubs are now good as overhauled.

Anticipating the concerns of fussy and pedantic C&V individuals here, I will respond in advance that yes, the extra grease in the hub shell will add 0.2 Watts of extra resistance, until the surplus oozes out over time.

And yes, purging with grease will not clean out 100% of the old. The horror. Maybe only 95% clean. Repeat the purge and now only 5% of 5% remains. Clean enough now?

The old Campagnolo Record freewheel hubs were the best wet weather hubs ever made. No seals. But since it only takes a few minutes to clean out the internals of these by grease injection, they could last forever. These are the hubs I used on my rain bike.
What type of attachment would one use for use on a standard grease gun to use this method? Sounds a lot easier than taking the cones apart. Joe
Old 06-19-19, 05:47 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

But most Nikkors show what the Japanese called nisen-bokeh, with rather harsh edges, often doubled or tripled, a result of over-correction in pursuit of optimal sharpness, contrast, etc. The best Nikkor bokeh I've seen is with my old pre-AI 180/2.8 ED. The 85/2 AI-S is very good too. Most of my Nikkors show that nisen-bokeh. Older Canon FD and pre-FD lenses often had more pleasant bokeh. But if you ask Olympus fans, Zuikos were pre-injected at the factory with the best bokeh, then the bokeh injection port was sealed so only Maitani could reach it again.
You want bokeh? Try the single coated pre-war Zeiss Sonnars, notably
the 80/2.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 06-19-19, 06:21 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
They're called oil clips, but they are just for aesthetics, not for oiling anymore. They look ... right. Campy hubs without them, like the nuovo tipo, look naked, like something is missing.
Perhaps someone (VO?) should come out with a retrofit kit. Or at least a decal.

Old 06-19-19, 06:33 AM
T-Mar

Circa 1989, SunTour licensed Wilderness trail Bikes' Grease Guard technology which used a Zerk-like fitting to inject grease into hubs, bottom brackets, pedals and headsets. It was used on their top of the line ATB group, XC Pro. Unlike the traditional hub lubrication ports, the grease Guard hubs had two ports, directly adjacent to the bearing races.
Old 06-19-19, 07:24 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer

About 7 years ago when I got back into riding I only had my vintage Trek 760 with campy hubs hanging in my garage. It had been hanging there for 20 yrs or so. When I asked one of my old biking buddies if I could borrow his cone wrenches he told me to do exactly what you said instead. He lent me his grease gun with Phil Wood grease and told me to squirt away. I had never thought of that......
Old 06-19-19, 12:28 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Grease injection is a major timesaver, plus avoids the risk of mis-adjustments on bearing setup.

I never disassemble pedals anymore for cleaning. Fussy setup and a million little ball bearings. If they are set up reasonably, I just blast new grease in from the outside of the pedal (usually a hole in the dustcap). The old stuff gets pushed out towards the inside for cleanup.

If the pedals do not have an injection port, then I remove the dustcap and drill one.