Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

🧹 The most accursed household chores?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.
View Poll Results: What's your most dreaded household chore?
Mopping floors
12.50%
Mowing the lawn
6.25%
Taking out the trash
0%
Wash the car
0%
Bathing pets
0%
Clean refrigerator
12.50%
Change air filters on furnace or air conditioner
0%
Clean blinds
6.25%
Shampooing the carpets
6.25%
Other
56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-19, 04:22 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 160 Posts

What's your most dreaded household chore? Vacuuming? Laundry? Bathroom? Garage? Attic? Pruning trees?

I just finished cleaning my oven so I'm going to vote oven cleaning by a landslide. Took two days of cleaning and still didn't get all the racks. Oh, and talking about paying more and getting less, you can add oven cleaner to the list.

Stupid tiny can ran out before I could get to the door. Had to go back to the store and purchase another can for that, and it still ran out again before I could do a complete job on the racks.

I guess its the Hazmat suit I have to don, or getting down on all fours, but I hate cleaning the oven. Thank God its not that often. Kitchen does smell all lemony now though. The second can was lemon scented.

POLL
Old 08-21-19, 04:24 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3595 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 89 Posts
Cleaning vomit at 3am
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 08-21-19, 04:26 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Otherwise I really enjoy home chores from laundry and dishes to lawn mowing and window cleaning, vacuuming and bathroom cleaning. I find they are relaxing and always provide a sense of accomplishment.
Old 08-21-19, 04:33 PM
noisebeam
Al

I use the self clean on my oven which works well, just few minutes of post cleaning with standard cleaners.
Oven cleaner is basically lye in a suspension for easy stick on application. No need to pay for a name brand.
I use lye to make pretzels so I have it around the house - similar to oven cleaning it will remove the worst baked on crud on any metal (not aluminum!) pot or tray. It will also burn holes thru your flesh.
Old 08-21-19, 05:10 PM
hazetguy 
Custom User Title

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 124 Posts
Performing exorcisms. All the head spinning, levitating, puking, the screaming, ugh, it becomes rather tiresome after a while.
Old 08-21-19, 06:37 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 160 Posts
Tending to the Tiki idol.
Old 08-21-19, 07:11 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7083 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Cleaning vomit at 3am
Dog diarrhea...

Cleaning a toilet...

The list of chores presented... no problem.

How about replacing the wax ring on the toilet... after removing the toilet, because your kid dropped in a toy that blocked it.

Jeeze, running a vacuum cleaner is a piece of cake.
Old 08-21-19, 07:24 PM
noisebeam
Al

Yep, It is not the routine chores that are bad, it is the maintenance and messes.
Kid threw up last night at 3am all over the hallway and half the bathroom. I think a drop made it into the bathtub. Job ends with a load of laundry.
Old 08-21-19, 07:33 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 4061 Post(s)
Liked 533 Times in 334 Posts
I'm gonna go with... ANT BATTLE. Go to the cabinet for some chips, everything is fine. Go back to that same cabinet like an hour later, IT'S A GALDURN INVASION.

I don't know if this happens to other folks in other places, but as soon as summer starts to really heat up, those dumb ant bastards are making ridiculous, overly complicated incursions into my house.

They get so thirsty July-September, they'll come in the house just to drown in the cat's water bowl.

A few weeks ago, they successfully breached the freezer. The freezer. All of the "successful" troops that made it inside froze to death, of course. But I guess that's a win for ants?
Old 08-21-19, 07:39 PM
noisebeam
Al

I've had massive ant invasions - paths from one side of the house to the other. Turn my back and they are all over the pantry getting into any gap to carbs they can. Started to store some stuff in the freezer/fridge. This was for weeks, every summer.

Then I attacked back. Filled a small jar with sugar water outside near where the ants were coming in. The ants swarmed it after a few hours. Then I put a few nuggets of Amdro into it. Next morning they were all staggering around. Next day they were all gone. I had to repeat about a week later (all I did was re-hydrate the sugar poison), but now I am ant free for over 6wks. Not a single one indoors!
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 08-21-19, 09:12 PM
02Giant 
Home School Valedictorian

Bikes: 13 Orbea Orca 02 Giant Cypress 88 Mongoose ATB 79 frame-built to 80 spec. Schwinn Traveller

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Dog diarrhea...

Cleaning a toilet...

The list of chores presented... no problem.

How about replacing the wax ring on the toilet... after removing the toilet, because your kid dropped in a toy that blocked it.

Jeeze, running a vacuum cleaner is a piece of cake.
Dog diarrhea by far for me.

Very early one morning I stumble through the house to the kitchen, turn on a light, in complete amazement I had made it through the mine field unscathed.

Old 08-21-19, 09:24 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 184 Posts
Water well and plumbing repairs in general at 3AM .. muddy dirty and when have asleep an adventure. Because out here there ain’t nobody to fix anything but yourself
Old 08-22-19, 03:46 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Toilet seals on a concrete slab floor. Actually it's the two hold-down bolts that break. So the last one got a piece of plywood under it braced with an oak 1"x1" over it held down with similar oak on the vertical wall beams but not fastened to one another. . . . just holding it to the floor.

Longest run yet without having to replace the seal and toilet hold-down bolts. I guess the wider platform plywood also has some give in it that soaks up the weight that was breaking the bolts.

Wasn't my idea to take credit for but it works.

Last edited by Zinger; 08-22-19 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-22-19, 04:16 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube, M Alloy Pro, Sprint 76; Amp Research B4; Colnago Crystal; Klein Pulse; Litespeed Catalyst, Fondriest Squadra Corse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 56 Posts
I'm thinking, "painting the house exterior" and cleaning the chimney flue - though since we got external insulation, I don't have to paint the house ever again!

Interior painting is a pain in the hole also, only because you have to move everything around into other rooms and cover carpet etc.

I know, it's not really "household chores", just a once-in-5-years thing, but it still makes a big difference to your house.
Old 08-22-19, 04:33 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7083 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle View Post
I'm thinking, "painting the house exterior" and cleaning the chimney flue - though since we got external insulation, I don't have to paint the house ever again!

Interior painting is a pain in the hole also, only because you have to move everything around into other rooms and cover carpet etc.

I know, it's not really "household chores", just a once-in-5-years thing, but it still makes a big difference to your house.
Ahhh yes. Painting the house... the never ending task. If it isn't outside... it's the inside. I've actually gotten pretty good at painting a straight edge without tape.
Old 08-22-19, 05:43 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
When it comes to exterior painting I have a steep pitch and don't like standing on the top rungs of ladders so I straighten a hoe so the blade runs parallel to the handle and do a lot of scraping with that. I like to get to it early for less of that and lay it on thick. And adjustable roller extensions are mandatory for me.

But on a steep pitch roof it's shingling that's the chore. That's where I pay for the help at it.

As far as plumbing goes Sharkbites and Pex make plumbers of us all.
Old 08-22-19, 05:57 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 302 Posts
Doing my taxes, and filling out stupid intrusive census forms every 10 years.
Old 08-22-19, 06:22 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 205 Posts
Cleaning up cat throw up is the worst for me. That said, I HATE yard work of any kind. I know every neighbor I've ever had has wondered "How is it that he has the energy to ride that bike for 100s of miles but he's too tired to cut the grass?".
Old 08-22-19, 08:05 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn Willy

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 231 Posts
On the poll list, shampooing the carpet. We've owned our own Hoover upright carpet cleaner for years. Cleaning the stair case with that thing is a major pain.

Luckily, my wife really does the house cleaning duties other than cleaning the carpet. That's because I'm the house plumber, HVAC man, yard man, appliance repairman, and car repairman.

My least favorite job out of all of those is pulling up toilets or unclogging drains. It's all filth and most of it ain't your own filth.
Old 08-22-19, 08:27 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
As Zinger noted.. Annual exterior painting. Our western roof peak is 34 f’ing feet high on a 9/12 pitch roof. Facias, chimney chase, trim, ugh. I’ve a 32’ extension ladder and even that’s not enough ‘cause 4’ soffit overhang.
Old 08-22-19, 08:58 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
As Zinger noted.. Annual exterior painting. Our western roof peak is 34 f’ing feet high on a 9/12 pitch roof. Facias, chimney chase, trim, ugh. I’ve a 32’ extension ladder and even that’s not enough ‘cause 4’ soffit overhang.
You paint the exterior of your house every year?

I hate to do any chore that requires me to climb up ladders or on the roof. I'm mildly afraid of heights. This past month I had to climb on the roof to cut away some over hanging limbs. Not fun.
Old 08-22-19, 11:26 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm alone so any filth is my own filth. Cleaning is no big deal.

Mowing is the one I don't like. Constantly needing done, constant rain creating a complete mess that the mower can't mow through. Going away wrecks havoc too. 11 day bicycle trip around Lake Ontario and I came home to a jungle. That was July 29th. I've only had time because of rain once to mow since then and it's a jungle now.

It doesn't help that I have a 45° slope on the front of the yard down to the road and when I was 6 years old, I still remember dad slipping and his foot going under the mower deck. I stand on the side of the mower and just let the mower fall down the slope. I've slipped once in this position and fell next to the mower no problem. The problem is, the bar you hold onto to keep the mower running is useless. When you slip and fall, instinct isn't to let go, it's to grab a hold of something and when you're holding the mower, it's now flipped up with the blade exposed to anyone and you're on the ground still holding onto the dang bar.
Old 08-22-19, 11:44 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Posting in BF.
/thread
Likes For skijor:
Old 08-22-19, 11:48 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: Trek 620, Jamis Satellite Sport, Raleigh Sport

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 59 Posts
I don't mind anything maintenance-like, for example changing furnace filters. Beyond that, I don't like any cleaning, except kitchen cleaning. Not sure why, but I've always enjoyed using and keeping a clean kitchen. I like to cook, and other kitcheny things.
Old 08-22-19, 11:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9593 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 674 Posts
Unloading the dishwasher.

Vacuuming.

Pulling weeds.

Mopping up the pools of blood.
Likes For indyfabz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.