Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Dishwasher time

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Dishwasher time

Old 09-18-19, 05:48 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts
Dishwasher time

My Kitchenaid is 18 years old. Canít believe itís lasted this long.

We may buy that brand again, but thought Iíd ask if folks have a preference. I read that some Bosch models are pretty good.

Any thoughts appreciated.

SB
Old 09-18-19, 06:46 PM
cb400bill

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Schwinn Voyageur, Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 155 Posts
Just buy a Bosch. Whatever model that you can afford. You will not be sorry.
Old 09-18-19, 07:41 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Do 'em as you use 'em
Likes For Zinger:
Old 09-19-19, 01:27 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7091 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
Just buy a Bosch. Whatever model that you can afford. You will not be sorry.
Seem to be the quietest on the market. We had one (have since moved) could hardly tell it was on. It just worked. Used steam for final dry... did not have that coil heater at the bottom that melts plastic things.
Old 09-19-19, 12:51 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts
Bosch it is, ordered with delivery on Sat.

Thx to all.
Old 09-19-19, 02:25 PM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Do 'em as you use 'em
After 25 years of not even once using the dishwasher since we bought the house, we replaced it with a 54-bottle, built-in wine cooler....
Old 09-20-19, 11:55 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 160 Posts
Let it grow mold and get more.
Old 09-20-19, 10:28 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
We replaced a 25 year-old Whirlpool with a Bosch, and then replace the Bosch after 3 years with a KitchenAid. Nice to have a dishwasher again that washes dishes and doesn't breakdown every 3 months. Only issue we've had with the KitchenAid is the plastic axles for the wheels broke on the middle rack. It was a $45 part to replace them with stainless ones, and now a class-action suit will reimburse us for that cost.

We always laugh that someone took the Bosch from the end of our driveway before the appliance company was able to pick it up. Those poor souls thought they just scored a deal...
Old 09-21-19, 03:10 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Looked in the mirror, what did I see?
The same old dishwasher...
Looks just like me.
Old 09-21-19, 08:04 PM
bobwysiwyg 

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Looks just like me.
Old 09-22-19, 02:21 AM
genec
genec

Looks just like me.
I have to admit, that is pretty much the situation these days.

We DO have a dishwashing machine... but pretty much the only time it is used is to sterilize bottles on bottling day.

I use PBW, and the super high heat setting, and after the bottles cool down, each bottle gets a quick dip in a starsan solution before air drying, upside down, (on a rack, from the dishwasher) and then being filled and capped.

I mean, so the maching IS handy.
Old 09-22-19, 04:52 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS *NEW BIKE*, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I have to admit, that is pretty much the situation these days.

We DO have a dishwashing machine... but pretty much the only time it is used is to sterilize bottles on bottling day.

I use PBW, and the super high heat setting, and after the bottles cool down, each bottle gets a quick dip in a starsan solution before air drying, upside down, (on a rack, from the dishwasher) and then being filled and capped.

I mean, so the maching IS handy.
I vote for a DW with sterilization mode...especially if there is or may be a baby in the house...works for baby stuff too, not just self-medipreservation.
Old 09-22-19, 08:29 AM
02Giant 
Home School Valedictorian

Bikes: 13 Orbea Orca 02 Giant Cypress 88 Mongoose ATB 79 frame-built to 80 spec. Schwinn Traveller

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 55 Posts
I am a fan of LG. Was Maytag until Whirlpools' acquisition.

Old 09-22-19, 04:11 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I go out to eat now and then because I think the dishwasher is charming. She certainly is busy.
Old 09-23-19, 09:12 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
We recently remodeled our kitchen, including the flooring, and replaced a 15 year old GE dishwasher (it worked fine but the racks were beginning to rust at the points and the wheels on the lower rack were breaking) with another mid-level GE. It leaked around the door from its first run. We called the tech in under warranty. Since it was a brand-new model, a new door gasket had to be ordered. It took a couple of weeks to come in and to get the tech back to install it. It leaked. Another gasket was ordered and, guess what? It leaked, too. Mrs. Altair got significantly irritated and started hounding GE. They sent out a tech and he ordered a NEW dishwasher. Guess what? He ordered the wrong color and only noticed it after tearing into the carton of the new unit. Finally, another unit was delivered (they moved us up in the model range - stainless steel tub with a different design for the door/tub interface) that doesn't leak. It's super-quiet - you have to be careful about not opening it while it's running, it's that quiet. I still check under it every now and then to make sure it's not leaking.
Old 09-23-19, 06:25 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Altair 4 View Post
We recently remodeled our kitchen, including the flooring, and replaced a 15 year old GE dishwasher (it worked fine but the racks were beginning to rust at the points and the wheels on the lower rack were breaking) with another mid-level GE. It leaked around the door from its first run. We called the tech in under warranty. Since it was a brand-new model, a new door gasket had to be ordered. It took a couple of weeks to come in and to get the tech back to install it. It leaked. Another gasket was ordered and, guess what? It leaked, too. Mrs. Altair got significantly irritated and started hounding GE. They sent out a tech and he ordered a NEW dishwasher. Guess what? He ordered the wrong color and only noticed it after tearing into the carton of the new unit. Finally, another unit was delivered (they moved us up in the model range - stainless steel tub with a different design for the door/tub interface) that doesn't leak. It's super-quiet - you have to be careful about not opening it while it's running, it's that quiet. I still check under it every now and then to make sure it's not leaking.
Sounds great.

We had a Bosch that had a stainless steel interior, and a front panel that allowed us to install a maple front that was made by the same cabinet maker of the rest of the kitchen stuff. The handle was discreetly recessed up at the top of the panel, and all the controls were on upper thick door edge. No lights, no buttons, no controls were visible when looking at the cabinet from the kitchen area. The counter on top was granite... which no doubt helped keep it quiet. I could never tell when it was on... got into the habit of loading it at night, and turning it on a bit before we went to bed. If the house was absolutely quiet, you'd hear a soft low wooshing noise. Joked about having an "open/close" sign for it so we'd know the status. Otherwise, I'd never open it until morning. It was a great machine. But then we only really used it when we had big dinner parties... music friends... over to jam with the wife. Otherwise, we had a tendency to just wash by hand.

These days, different house, bit noisier GE machine... not bad mind you, just not totally silent... You know it's on. And we still only use it rarely. (like when I bottle... as I mentioned) Somehow, in our minds, it really is a luxury, that we really don't use.

Now clothes washer... oh man, THAT IS a different story.
Old 09-23-19, 10:49 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

My laundry pair are rebuilt and run like brand new.
Old 09-24-19, 03:38 PM
dagray 

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
My dishwasher quit. She didn't even leave a forwarding address.

That said I replaced my Maytag with another Maytag as I had gotten over 10 years of use on the last one.
Old 09-25-19, 12:21 PM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Wow. You guys are funny. We replaced our Amana with a Whirlpool, if I remember correctly. I was just happy to have a machine help out at home !!!
Old 09-25-19, 01:16 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 11958 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 81 Posts
Bought a Kitchen Aid just a couple of months ago before the sale ended. Managed to get a good middle of the road machine at $450 off. I can't tell when it's running, even when it the same room without looking at the lights. The only time I hear noise is when water is vented into the kitchen drain and that noise I'm hearing from the sink drain itself. I'm afraid that the Bosh was out of my budget as a retire living on a fixed income.

My old dishwasher was more than 20 years old and we feared that it was the source of a minor leak. It wasn't. That's another story for another thread but tomorrow my house is being torn apart in search of the leak which is probably the master drain pipe from under the sink and naturally the place that it appears to be leaking from is in the wall behind the sink cabinet.
Old 09-26-19, 01:05 AM
genec
genec

My laundry pair are rebuilt and run like brand new.
Old Speedqueen, eh? Built like a tank?

We got a fancy Maytag... 5cuft. No spindle. Lots of fancy settings... yet my wife insists on "wash." (she wants all the bells and whistles, then doesn't use them... )
Old 09-27-19, 04:22 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 89 Posts
Like RGMN, my wife and I replaced a slowly dying Kitchenaid that was just shy of 22 years old with a Bosch. Didn't clean the dishes worth a spit so it was replaced with another Kitchenaid 3 years later. Been 8 years and it is quiet as a church mouse when running, and as others have said, we can't hear it running. Again, like RGMN, the rollers on the baskets were poorly engineered as they used a lesser plastic. My guess it was a cost saving measure without a thorough product test cycle. Spent $45 for new ones. Dealer said Whirlpool was well aware of the issue and they have plenty more in stock!

Curiously enough the Kitchenaid we had in our first house died at age 22 as well, and the one I grew up with was pushing 30 by the time I moved out of the house. Of course, my dad had fixed the old school plastic timer and water pump during that time.

Will say the Kitchenaid refrigerator suffers from wrong plastic syndrome like the dish washer. Bought them at the same time in 2010.
Old 09-29-19, 06:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by dagray View Post
My dishwasher quit. She didn't even leave a forwarding address.

Old 09-29-19, 07:46 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
Again, like RGMN, the rollers on the baskets were poorly engineered as they used a lesser plastic. My guess it was a cost saving measure without a thorough product test cycle. Spent $45 for new ones. Dealer said Whirlpool was well aware of the issue and they have plenty more in stock!
Check to see if you are covered by the Burch v. Whirlpool settlement. They will fix or pay for the fix the rollers if you are covered as part of the class.
Old 09-29-19, 08:14 PM
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
My New Bosch is a few months old. It does a better job of washing than the old noisy GE. It's almost silent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.