Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Not ordering fast food through a machine!

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 09-24-19, 01:38 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 189 Posts

Walked into our local McDonalds to get some fast junk food and there was only a box with a touch screen to order my food! Heck with that I want to talk to a human. Left , went to Whataburger and spoke to an actual human. I know everything is going this way and Iím old but so what! My Iron Maiden tickets are e-mobile and Iím not sure they will even be valid! The tickets shows up on my smartphone so I guess the venue will scan them. But Anyway there were several people ahead of me trying to figure out how to order food from a box with a touchscreen! I know it isnít that hard but still it is just annoying. Everyone walks around like zombies with their faces planted in their smartphones. I am slowly becoming a zombie myself. I need some aspirin for my aching head.
Old 09-24-19, 01:52 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The Schlotsky's in the Austin airport tried to use self-order terminals years ago. It was a miserable failure. They had maybe 6 of them in a row and people would walk right past them to the one person standing at the counter to order.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 09-24-19, 10:03 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7126 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 178 Posts
It was bad enough having to talk to a clown to get food...
Likes For genec:
Old 09-24-19, 10:12 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
It was bad enough having to talk to a clown to get food...
I remember when Jack in the Box blew up their clown. Now Iím feeling old.
Old 09-25-19, 12:35 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't eat McDonalds except for their breakfast sandwiches which isn't very often. Working rare night shift, I stopped one day for breakfast after work and our local joint isn't just touch screen. It's around a freakin 42 inch TV screen vertical. Good grief, I had to move back 15 feet to read the dang thing. I gave up and walked to the counter. Took 10 minutes for anyone to come and take my order. That was my last visit to McDonalds, not that I stop very often anyways.
Old 09-25-19, 01:01 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 56 Posts
I'd much rather talk to a person, too.
Old 09-25-19, 01:28 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
I'd much rather talk to "no one". I'd much rather not talk at all. You may call me weird but communicating with human beings is getting harder and harder each and every day. And let's be honest here, what you call "talking to a human" is just saying hello and ordering your food right? You are not really planning to chat with this person and really get to know him/her, are you? You will regret it, 9 times out of 10 anyway. I am in my late thirties and as i age, i realized that i want the least human contact possible, other than my familiar social circle. I am not pushing this as an ideal on how to live your life, it is just my simple and older brain can not understand all the new social cues, all new political/social world views, racial biases, all those new genders, special pronouns, and all that jazz. And i sense that people are getting angrier by the day. It is getting harder and harder to communicate with human beings without hurting someone. I always have been an honest and unreserved person and in these modern times of political correctness, this is deemed to be the worst choice of self expression. I am not criticizing what the world has become (well at least not in this forum) but i'd rather order my food through a machine (which won't make any humanly mistakes by the way) instead of forcing myself to talk to someone just to get food in my mouth. That is just me.
Likes For Newspaper_Nick:
Old 09-25-19, 01:33 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 182 Posts
^^^ +1000 ^^^
Old 09-25-19, 01:38 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 3063 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 298 Posts
Depends on the restaurant and employees. Some places have employees that are so dumb or indifferent I'd rather use an electronic interface. Especially the typical Popeye's, KFC or Grandy's. Those three in particular have declined so badly in service that the employees are downright annoying. I seldom even set foot in those places anymore.

But some of my favorite nearby fast food joints have low turnover so I've seen the same employees for years and I kinda enjoy chattering with 'em. For some reason the Braum's nearby has low turnover, unusual for a fast food joint with young employees. So I eat there about once a week, especially after a long bike ride and burning off 2,000+ calories.

And the Waffle House has a wonderful manager/cook, a 30something gal with clover tats on her arms and a bundle of curly blonde hair and an Earth Mother personality. I can't even remember her name -- probably Flo or Alice, something like that. I dunno. She calls me honey. She probably calls everyone honey or sugar. Always makes me smile. The food is nothing special but she is.

As a kid in the 1960s-'70s I spent several years in New York near the city and we often ate at automats like Horn & Hardart. All coin-op, walls and walls of food behind little glass doors. You could see and hear employees busily refilling the cubby holes, but it was mostly self serve. Worked fine.

I still preferred real restaurants with waitresses who call me honey, but a good automat cafeteria can be just fine.
Old 09-25-19, 03:10 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick View Post
I'd much rather talk to "no one". I'd much rather not talk at all. You may call me weird but communicating with human beings is getting harder and harder each and every day. And let's be honest here, what you call "talking to a human" is just saying hello and ordering your food right? You are not really planning to chat with this person and really get to know him/her, are you? You will regret it, 9 times out of 10 anyway. I am in my late thirties and as i age, i realized that i want the least human contact possible, other than my familiar social circle. I am not pushing this as an ideal on how to live your life, it is just my simple and older brain can not understand all the new social cues, all new political/social world views, racial biases, all those new genders, special pronouns, and all that jazz. And i sense that people are getting angrier by the day. It is getting harder and harder to communicate with human beings without hurting someone. I always have been an honest and unreserved person and in these modern times of political correctness, this is deemed to be the worst choice of self expression. I am not criticizing what the world has become (well at least not in this forum) but i'd rather order my food through a machine (which won't make any humanly mistakes by the way) instead of forcing myself to talk to someone just to get food in my mouth. That is just me.
Is the cook still human? Mistakes will still be made.

I wonder how long though, before the "cook" is a robot, (machine, anyway) and each fast food joint is just occasionally visited by a service person?
Old 09-25-19, 04:30 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 72 Posts
I like to be able to ask questions because I go infrequently enough to not know what I want. I went to a Taco Bell a month or two back that had both the machine and a person working the counter. The cash register at the counter was down, so the person had to take you to the machine and help you through that if you had a credit card or take you to the food window and shout your order to the drive through person if you had cash. I don't like that these machines are cash only. I also prefer a real person, so, if one of the kids is still hungry or if they are going to get a frostee or whatever as a special treat I can send them up with a buck or whatever and have them buy it themselves so they can learn how to order things and get change in a low stakes environment. Machines take that away.
Old 09-25-19, 04:49 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS *NEW BIKE*, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
My career path required I interact with people everyday, often on a minute to minute basis--they were essential...I like it, despite needing occasional alone time (like everyone). Traveled to Huntsville last weekend for the AllYouCanEat and was delighted with a couple of servers who were just plain nice folks...it's Wednesday morning and they still bring a smile to my face. Makes me want to be better and to be that person for someone else. I realized then (career), and try to be cognizant today, that my interactions with others trickle down. Keep smiling.
Old 09-25-19, 05:37 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Walked into our local McDonalds to get some fast junk food and there was only a box with a touch screen to order my food! Heck with that I want to talk to a human. Left , went to Whataburger and spoke to an actual human. I know everything is going this way and I’m old but so what! My Iron Maiden tickets are e-mobile and I’m not sure they will even be valid! The tickets shows up on my smartphone so I guess the venue will scan them. But Anyway there were several people ahead of me trying to figure out how to order food from a box with a touchscreen! I know it isn’t that hard but still it is just annoying. Everyone walks around like zombies with their faces planted in their smartphones. I am slowly becoming a zombie myself. I need some aspirin for my aching head.
Might be time to visit the self-serve bordello.

Another great Hondo thread, I love these. Folks, during the past year, this guy has been consistently creating great Foo threads that generate many responses. And people don't argue on Hondo threads, I have noticed, another plus.

Epic rant, and I agree with pretty much all of it. And I would add that people are getting stupider by the day too, and as average people's basic social skills deteriorate, I can't interact with them much anyway. All that "please" and "thank you" stuff from my parent's generation suddenly makes sense, once you see what happens when people stop using it.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 09-25-19, 06:32 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
All that "please" and "thank you" stuff from my parent's generation suddenly makes sense, once you see what happens when people stop using it.
I recently got out of the hospital after a brief stay recovering from some surgery. The nurses seemed surprised by all the "please"s, "thank you"s, and "yes ma'am"s. My wife commented to one of the secretaries at work (we work in different offices at the same place of work) about how polite I was, and she was like, "he's like that all the time to us" and that got me thinking a bit about my behavior. It's not like I'm not polite to my peers/superiors, but I've just learned over the years that it's the administrative staff (and nurses) who get the most crap shoveled at them and yet these are the people that can get the most done to help you (or not if they think you don't respect them), so they always get an extra level of politeness. Same with waitstaff and other service people. As someone who sits solidly on the spectrum, that can be exhausting, so I like to do interactions online (it also allows me to carefully edit and re-edit my comments because I'm paranoid about how they could be misconstrued) when it's easier (and part of the reason I don't own a cell phone is that it cuts down on the number of interactions I have to have in a day), but there are some times (like eating out) that I really prefer face-to-face contact. I also don't like doing self-checkout at a store if I have more than 3-4 items.
Old 09-25-19, 07:10 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by himespau View Post
I recently got out of the hospital after a brief stay recovering from some surgery. The nurses seemed surprised by all the "please"s, "thank you"s, and "yes ma'am"s. My wife commented to one of the secretaries at work (we work in different offices at the same place of work) about how polite I was, and she was like, "he's like that all the time to us" and that got me thinking a bit about my behavior. It's not like I'm not polite to my peers/superiors, but I've just learned over the years that it's the administrative staff (and nurses) who get the most crap shoveled at them and yet these are the people that can get the most done to help you (or not if they think you don't respect them), so they always get an extra level of politeness. Same with waitstaff and other service people. As someone who sits solidly on the spectrum, that can be exhausting, so I like to do interactions online (it also allows me to carefully edit and re-edit my comments because I'm paranoid about how they could be misconstrued) when it's easier (and part of the reason I don't own a cell phone is that it cuts down on the number of interactions I have to have in a day), but there are some times (like eating out) that I really prefer face-to-face contact. I also don't like doing self-checkout at a store if I have more than 3-4 items.
I find I tend to get more smiles, better service, by treating all people as humans, and applying "please and thank you" whenever possible. Other family members have noticed "people do stuff for you..."
(Hell, I once worked in the service industry... I get it. )

Ironically, I do not say "please" on my boat, when issuing an order. IE "Trim that jib."

My wife has taken me to task for that. She is no longer "crew," just merely a "passenger..." as in "would you like another cocktail, ma'am?"
Old 09-25-19, 07:29 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 238 Posts
McDonald's is committed to eliminating human employees where possible. They recently bought an AI company to automate drive throughs.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mcdo...e-thrus-2019-9

The population of the earth keeps increasing, but jobs keep slipping away to automation.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-25-19, 09:08 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 9458 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 582 Posts
It seems pretty obvious this is to save on payroll, but my neighbor is certain they're doing this so fat people will order more fries, not feeling judged by the cashier.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-25-19, 09:37 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Banned.

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
It seems pretty obvious this is to save on payroll, but my neighbor is certain they're doing this so fat people will order more fries, not feeling judged by the cashier.
Ask your neighbor, who in the heck gives a darn about being judged by a fast food cashier over food choices or anything else for that matter? One person in a zillion perhaps?
Old 09-25-19, 09:46 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Banned.

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick View Post
I'd much rather talk to "no one". I'd much rather not talk at all. You may call me weird but communicating with human beings is getting harder and harder each and every day.
Thank Goodness Technology can be counted on to come the rescue of those in need of a little help.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-25-19, 09:47 AM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I don't have a problem talking to cashiers or anyone else.

My wife and I will not use these Kiosks, we'd much rather wait in line a few more minutes.
We think the more we use the Kiosks or self check outs the faster we help reduce the amount of jobs there are.

We don't get a discount for ringing ourselves up, so why should they get to reduce headcount and payroll. Even if there was a discount, we'd still use the cashiers.

This is just our opinion, YMMV..
Likes For smullen:
Old 09-25-19, 10:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9618 Post(s)
Liked 1,115 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Thank Goodness Technology can be counted on to come the rescue of those in need of a little help.

I wonít use the screens. I donít usually go to places that have them, but I encounter them at Sheetz c-stores when Iím traveling in PA. Used one once last year because I wanted something warm to eat and it was my only option. Quite annoying. Couldnít figure out how to order what I wanted so settled for something else.

I also will not use self checkout at grocery stores.
Old 09-25-19, 10:44 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 9458 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Ask your neighbor, who in the heck gives a darn about being judged by a fast food cashier over food choices or anything else for that matter? One person in a zillion perhaps?
Your people skills aren't very good. Do they require you to order through the machine?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-25-19, 11:01 AM
himespau 

Some places essentially do that by not staffing the counter.
Old 09-25-19, 11:37 AM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3610 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 96 Posts
With one exception I've never ordered anything in a real store using a screen. The exception is workplace cafe, but in that case you place the general order and pay on screen, but there still is a lot of interaction with the person preparing the food and customizing the order (how do you want the burger cooked, which salad for the side, hold the mayo, which sauce in the stir fry, more beans, less potatoes, etc.)

I have moods where I don't want to interact with anyone, but I generally welcome the opportunity as it feels better for the community and every once in a while I am surprised at a connection or perspective.

It goes both ways too, those in service are often treated poorly. Make an effort to make the transaction at least neutral if not positive.
Old 09-25-19, 12:24 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 11978 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 83 Posts
Eventually they will replace the cashiers in the supermarket with automated lines and touch screens. Some will refuse to use them but others don't care and will flock to the computers because they believe it saves them time.

They also believe the myth that it keeps their grocery prices down instead of just enriching the owners more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.