Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Flying for business, got a question...

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 10-02-19, 12:33 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts

I have some business in LA that I have to fly out for in a month. Booked flights and come to find that the airline does not allow a free carry on or checked bag. They allow a purse and/or a laptop bag, and that's it. The fees for a carry on or checked bag are $40 and $50 respectively. For the two of us the price for the luggage will approach the cost of one of the round trip tickets. The trip is a two day turnaround, so I think we can make it work with one bag.

I was wondering if anyone who travels often knows:
Can you send a package for yourself to the hotel ahead of time and have them hold it?
I am honestly considering just packing a box with a change of clothes for each of us, some toiletries and shipping them. I can ship them back before we leave and basically have nothing but ourselves to board the plane.
Old 10-02-19, 12:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9598 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 681 Posts
The answer would seem to be hotel-specific.

If the hotel is near the city's post office that accepts General Delivery mail, you could go that shipping route.

BTW...What airline is this? Want to know who to avoid.
Old 10-02-19, 12:53 PM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I don't know if you'd be saving much money, if any, by shipping...
Old 10-02-19, 12:55 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I don't know if you'd be saving much money, if any, by shipping...
A Flat Rate box is $15.

TBH it would probably even be cheaper to just stop somewhere when we land and buy an outfit for the meeting and just leave it. Something Old Navy would work fine.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 10-02-19 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 12:58 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
The answer would seem to be hotel-specific.

If the hotel is near the city's post office that accepts General Delivery mail, you could go that shipping route.

BTW...What airline is this? Want to know who to avoid.
Spirit. It was booked by the owner of the company and we were more than disappointed to find that they didn't go ahead and pay for the luggage up front. At the time of booking it was considerably cheaper. The moment they hit the "buy" button that option was over. I honestly wouldn't have known till we got to the airport if it hadn't been by the advice of a friend who travels often. It says NOTHING anywhere on the confirmation details about this.

/grumble

I will call the hotel this evening and see what their thoughts on it are, and/or may check to see if there is a mail center or post nearby. I know from tour blogs that you can send packages ahead to the local post office to be held for you...can't recall what the service is called.
Old 10-02-19, 01:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9598 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
I know from tour blogs that you can send packages ahead to the local post office to be held for you...can't recall what the service is called.
It's called General Delivery. When I rode across the country 20 years ago I had someone mail me film to predetermined towns. Thing is that if you are in a city with multiple post offices I believe only one accepts general delivery mail. But I could be wrong.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is-General-Delivery

Or you could wear two sets of clothes.

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-02-19 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 01:42 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
It's called General Delivery. When I rode across the country 20 years ago I had someone mail me film to predetermined towns. Thing is that if you are in a city with multiple post offices I believe only one accepts general delivery mail. But I could be wrong.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is-General-Delivery

Or you could wear two sets of clothes.
In a city the size of LA that could be problematic.

I actually halfway considered wearing two sets of clothes, but considering the grief I already put up with being an amputee with TSA figured it may not play out well.
Old 10-02-19, 01:55 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Your underwear has two sides, no?

Spoiler
(this was from an email I got from my director once. Really)
Old 10-02-19, 04:09 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2279 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
The fees for a carry on or checked bag are $40 and $50 respectively. For the two of us the price for the luggage will approach the cost of one of the round trip tickets. .
That cost approaches the value of my entire wardrobe.
Old 10-02-19, 07:06 PM
skidder
Cereal Killer

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
I usually fly Southwest if possible; no baggage fee for one bag. I think Spirit Airlines only flies into/out of L.A. INternational. Are you staying near the airport or somewhere else? If somewhere else, look on Google maps and see what's around your hotel, maybe a retail store (Target, etc) and go into those when you arrive for casual clothes and toiletries. Buying them at your location can be cheaper, and lots of times I'll just leave them when I check out of the hotel (might keep an extra shirt or two and wear it onto the plane, maybe some toothpaste and soap, too). That way I don't have to pay any baggage fees.
Likes For skidder:
Old 10-02-19, 07:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 9733 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 247 Posts
What is the restriction of laptop bags?

There are quite a few laptop bags that are laptop sized, and about 8" thick. Big enough to toss in a change of clothes and toiletries, if you don't go overboard.
Old 10-02-19, 07:18 PM
CliffordK

Spirit. It was booked by the owner of the company and we were more than disappointed to find that they didn't go ahead and pay for the luggage up front. At the time of booking it was considerably cheaper. The moment they hit the "buy" button that option was over. I honestly wouldn't have known till we got to the airport if it hadn't been by the advice of a friend who travels often. It says NOTHING anywhere on the confirmation details about this.

/grumble

I will call the hotel this evening and see what their thoughts on it are, and/or may check to see if there is a mail center or post nearby. I know from tour blogs that you can send packages ahead to the local post office to be held for you...can't recall what the service is called.
Regular sized jet, or Alaskan Puddle Jumper?

Big or small company?

Inform the airline that your company is going to blacklist them unless they give you one standard sized carry-on per ticket.

Also inform the company that you are reporting them to the Better Business Bureau for deceptive marketing practices.

I'm not sure how to reach the maximum internet followers. I fear BikeForums FOO isn't the way to reach the maximum number of eyes.

Perhaps you could get a company like Washington Post or the New York Times interested.
Old 10-02-19, 07:35 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3598 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
What is the restriction of laptop bags?

There are quite a few laptop bags that are laptop sized, and about 8" thick. Big enough to toss in a change of clothes and toiletries, if you don't go overboard.
That is what I do. Fits under the seat in front of me. No other luggage.
Old 10-02-19, 08:00 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Banned.

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 129 Posts
Spirit. It was booked by the owner of the company and we were more than disappointed to find that they didn't go ahead and pay for the luggage up front. At the time of booking it was considerably cheaper. he moment they hit the "buy" button that option was over. I honestly wouldn't have known till we got to the airport if it hadn't been by the advice of a friend who travels often. It says NOTHING anywhere on the confirmation details about this.
Doesn't the company reimburse you for travel expenses? Baggage fees are a cost of travel by air, just like hotel fees and per diem for food. The company is trying to save money by booking on Spirit, which is infamous for nickel and dining its customers every way they can. The company will save even more money if you dress or act like a hobo in order to avoid baggage fees.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-02-19, 08:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Banned.

Big or small company?

Inform the airline that your company is going to blacklist them unless they give you one standard sized carry-on per ticket.

Also inform the company that you are reporting them to the Better Business Bureau for deceptive marketing practices.

I'm not sure how to reach the maximum internet followers. I fear BikeForums FOO isn't the way to reach the maximum number of eyes.

Perhaps you could get a company like Washington Post or the New York Times interested.
Why I am sure the Washington Post and NYT will be shocked, shocked to be informed that airlines have baggage fees and are not always upfront with providing their customers the fee schedule. They might also be horrified to learn that there is a cost for getting a low fare ticket on cheapskate airlines like Spirit Airlines.
Old 10-02-19, 08:26 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Big or small company?

Where I appreciate your sarcasm and wit.....I don't travel by plane much at all. Particularly since having my amputation they treat me like my leg is made of cocaine with an extra bomb storage. It's effing ridiculous. Aside from that, I had no control over who the boss booked with....and no, I don't get reimbursed for this one.
Old 10-03-19, 07:56 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 58 Posts
Honestly, what was your boss thinking sending you across country on business and expecting you to wear the clothes on your back for the duration of the trip? You show up for various meetings wearing the same clothes day after day? That is not a very good reflection on your company. I would approach him or your HR dept and let them know there needs to be some changes.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 10-03-19, 07:59 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
Honestly, what was your boss thinking sending you across country on business and expecting you to wear the clothes on your back for the duration of the trip? You show up for various meetings wearing the same clothes day after day? That is not a very good reflection on your company. I would approach him or your HR dept and let them know there needs to be some changes.
Lol, HR Dept....haha, demand changes. I like the cut of your sail buddy.
Old 10-03-19, 09:06 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Spirit.
The wife and I used them for vacation once, NEVER again. Unless there is no other choice. Remember Peoples Express? At least they where upfront about what you didn't get with the fare.
Old 10-03-19, 09:43 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
The wife and I used them for vacation once, NEVER again. Unless there is no other choice. Remember Peoples Express? At least they where upfront about what you didn't get with the fare.
Yup, I flew them once long ago to Vegas IIRC. It was an experience between the goats, chickens, pigs, Mongolian pilots already wearing parachutes and that guy Indy sitting behind us. Thankfully he found an inflatable raft and everything came out ok.
Old 10-03-19, 10:16 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 123 Posts
The UPS Store has a luggage shipping service:

Pack and Ship Luggage

I use one of their small boxes when credit card bike touring. I'll ship the box to my hotel, and place a return ship label inside the box.
Old 10-03-19, 01:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Banned.

Lol, HR Dept....haha, demand changes. I like the cut of your sail buddy.
Does your HR department reimburse you for legitimate travel expenses or not? Do they pay for the hotel and a reasonable reimbursement for meals? How about rental cars or whatever you need to use for transportation to and from the airport in order to conduct business?

If not, you work for a real crappy organization that won't pay the cost of doing business and treats its employees like dung and you should seek employment elsewhere if at all possible.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-03-19, 08:22 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Does your HR department reimburse you for legitimate travel expenses or not? Do they pay for the hotel and a reasonable reimbursement for meals? How about rental cars or whatever you need to use for transportation to and from the airport in order to conduct business?

If not, you work for a real crappy organization that won't pay the cost of doing business and treats its employees like dung and you should seek employment elsewhere if at all possible.
I love when people make blanket judgements with no other information.

Move along, these aren't the droids you are looking for.

#minorinconvenience
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 10-03-19, 08:59 PM
CliffordK

I love when people make blanket judgements with no other information.
You haven't been very forthcoming with information.

If it is a large company, then they may be able to leverage their buying power.

If it is a small company, then there isn't much to leverage. Small sole proprietorship?

It sounds like this airline is counting on snagging customers once... they learn their lesson, and never return. Not a good way to run a business, and they'll vanish within a few years, or have to undercut their own prices until they can't even buy fuel (or spare parts )

They may get a few same-day commuters (although some companies also charge premium prices if there isn't a layover).

If it was me, I'd explore options to not give the company a penny more than absolutely necessary (including shipping luggage).

And, yes, as mentioned, there may be ways to get the story out. Most big papers do have travel sections. Consumer Reports may rank airlines. And, any or all forums you feel are relevant. An AP article could get widespread distribution.

To me, hidden costs that pop up after you click "BUY" which are not disclosed, or easy to find, and are not typical of the industry is FRAUD, and should be treated as such.

As mentioned, the Better Business Bureau does collect and publish complaints.

There are also companies like YELP that do ranking. Hmmm.. lots of ratings on Yelp. Some like them, but 1 1/2 stars (with a minimum of 1 star) doesn't give one a lot of confidence.

Reading the Yelp Reviews... some state that even with added fees, prices are low. Others suggest that pre-selecting seats (for a fee) is a benefit to prevent getting bumped (or separated if you are traveling together).
Old 10-03-19, 11:39 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2279 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts

If it was me, I'd explore options to not give the company a penny more than absolutely necessary .
The problem is with JF's employer being too cheap to pay for legitimate luggage charges on a business trip for which they booked the cheapest carrier. That's really a standard expense report item that they should just expect.
Likes For DiabloScott:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.