Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Why I love good old fashion NEWSPAPERS...

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 10-13-19, 05:49 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7123 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 178 Posts

Now I don't mean old fashion in any political sense... I just mean paper... the paper version of the daily news.

For one, you can quickly scan all the stories on a page, determine what you might want to read.

An ad, or cookie discaimer, or request for donation will never suddenly pop up on you.

Your page doesn't suddenly reformat.

You can actually see a couple of paragraphs at a time.

The paper will never suddenly start making sounds, from an ad you didn't look at.

And of course, you can wrap your dead fish in it when you finish.

It's Sunday... I gotta go get a paper.
Likes For genec:
Old 10-13-19, 06:38 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 56 Posts
And it doesn't disappear when the DRM server goes down or the publisher gets bored and wants to work on something else.

I'm right there with you. I brought my paper in from the curb a couple hours ago.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 10-13-19, 06:50 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 302 Posts
Dog, coffee, newspaper, and slippers. Maybe some bad pastry too. Recipe for a traditional Norman Rockwell-esque Sunday morning.
Old 10-13-19, 06:52 AM
gear64

Bikes: Univega Gran Premio, Miyata 1000, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro, Trek Alpha 4900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
They are sometimes heavily sleeved in ads though. I got tired of pulling those sleeves off the various sections and discontinued. My choice is traditional newspaper in digital format on tablet. It's just a hyperlink to continued stories and I can clip stuff I want to save long term.

To clarify not the pay gate version on the web, but a digital replica of the paper version.
Old 10-13-19, 06:54 AM
genec
genec

We have often taken two papers... a local, and a Sunday... a larger paper such as LA Times or Seattle Times.

For a while, we took three papers.

My wife complained that she just didn't have time to read it all. So she canceled them all. I read all my news from the net, listened to radio and watched a couple of news programs to get my info fix.

Recently, she admitted that she missed the Sunday paper... which often went more in depth on the stories of the week, and carried larger social sections. We are taking the Sunday paper again.

I still go to the net to get cross stories and BBC et. al. But I love my newsPAPER.
Old 10-13-19, 06:55 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
Dog, coffee, newspaper, and slippers. Maybe some bad pastry too. Recipe for a traditional Norman Rockwell-esque Sunday morning.
Amen! Thanks Norman. Heck, I don't even need slippers.
Old 10-13-19, 07:45 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Now I don't mean old fashion in any political sense... I just mean paper... the paper version of the daily news.

For one, you can quickly scan all the stories on a page, determine what you might want to read.

An ad, or cookie discaimer, or request for donation will never suddenly pop up on you.

Your page doesn't suddenly reformat.

You can actually see a couple of paragraphs at a time.

The paper will never suddenly start making sounds, from an ad you didn't look at.

And of course, you can wrap your dead fish in it when you finish.

It's Sunday... I gotta go get a paper.
These are good reason to love the Sunday paper. The lack of BS popping up is probably better for your Blood pressure too. Another reason to like it is, you can clip an article out, and save it for posterity. You know you will always have it.
At a place I used to work, we would read the paper, and drink coffee before we got busy. I miss that.
Old 10-13-19, 07:47 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 60 Posts
Whenever I travel, one of the first things I do after I roll into town is buy a local newspaper and read it front to back. It can really help you to understand the issues and people of the town you're staying in. It also helps you in the tavern that evening in order to bring up a local subject and discuss it with the patrons.
Old 10-13-19, 09:22 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 9443 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 578 Posts
Kindling. 🔥
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-13-19, 10:02 AM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I mainly miss it when spray painting.
Likes For roadfix:
Old 10-13-19, 10:02 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 238 Posts
I had a 5 day a week subscription to the local paper right up to 3 years ago.

I changed or the newspaper's content changed, but I found less and less I wanted to read in it. Too bad, as I had been a subscriber on and off for decades, and I even threw that paper as a paper boy in the 1970s.

My best usage for the local paper now is to use it as protective material while painting or working on some sort of project. I still have a small pile in the garage for that.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 10-13-19, 12:51 PM
FBOATSB 

Bikes: Old Schwinns

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
I get town papers in the mail every week whether I want to or not. I guess the advertisements pay for it. After I read them they go straight to the kitchen credenza for draining, wrapping, whatever. We never run out.
Old 10-14-19, 12:25 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 160 Posts
To keep this on topic (ie related to bicycles) - newspaper works far better than any electronic media in cold or wet weather to stay warm. (Watch the pro bike races when they go over mountain passes. No, not highlights of the leaders but the real footage showing the small team domestiques who crest the passes long after the hotshots. They don't get hand-ups of nice team jackets. They pull out a sheet of newspaper and stuff it under their jersey, just like was done 200 years ago.)

When it comes to important stuff, like staying away from hypothermia on a mountain descent, newspapers rule, smartphones suck.

Ben
Old 10-14-19, 12:28 AM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 145 Posts
Since i get no on-site advertising/third-party ad tracking with my subscriptions to the washington post, le monde and the atlantic monthly (ios only) i like the ease of use in getting each digitally on either my MacBook, iPad or iPhone. For those that do it also means keeping the trees needed and not being involved with the pollution created by the wood pulping industry for newspapers.

eta....i dress appropiately for the rides i do so no need to stuff something under my clothes.... and those that don't recycle their paper products aren't too smart.

Last edited by clemsongirl; 10-20-19 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-14-19, 04:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9618 Post(s)
Liked 1,114 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
To keep this on topic (ie related to bicycles) - newspaper works far better than any electronic media in cold or wet weather to stay warm.
Just don't use the circulars if it's raining. From an aborted tour last year where it rained the entire time and was cold and I forgot to pack my rain pants.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-14-19, 04:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9618 Post(s)
Liked 1,114 Times in 689 Posts
BTW...I do the NYT crossword puzzle in ink every day.
Old 10-14-19, 07:56 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Since i get no on-site advertising/third-party ad tracking with my subscriptions to the washington post or the atlantic monthly (ios only) i like the ease of use in getting both digitally on either my MacBook, iPad or iPhone. For those that do it also means keeping the trees needed and not being involved with the pollution created by the wood pulping industry for newspapers.

eta....and those that don't recycle their paper products aren't too smart.
Not discounting any pollution, but trees for paper are farmed. Just like a crop of corn.

Driving through the piney woods of east Texas one can see the "fields" of trees at different stages of growth after the individual times of harvest.

As far as electronic devices (that we all own) how much pollution was created to make the plastic casings, circuitry, batteries, carrying cases, etc.? Resources used to create those items? Is the energy to make and power these devices solar, wind, water (dam), or natural gas and coal? How about the source of energy to power the server farms of the "cloud" or power our devices? Plus the energy for all the 4G and 5G towers and wireless routers elsewhere that transmit data to us all.

Then there is all of the packaging for all these devices for protection and shipping. Cardboard, printing ink or toner, plastics, etc.

I'm not giving up my devices, but I don't believe newspaper, magazines, and paper books are that big a drain on the planet anymore. Especially, since the "demise of print" has been going on for some time and near the bottom with all the consolidations of newspaper companies and magazine publishers.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 10-14-19, 08:01 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
eta....and those that don't recycle their paper products aren't too smart.
How do you recycle toilet paper?
Old 10-14-19, 08:34 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
Not discounting any pollution, but trees for paper are farmed. Just like a crop of corn.

Driving through the piney woods of east Texas one can see the "fields" of trees at different stages of growth after the individual times of harvest.

As far as electronic devices (that we all own) how much pollution was created to make the plastic casings, circuitry, batteries, carrying cases, etc.? Resources used to create those items? Is the energy to make and power these devices solar, wind, water (dam), or natural gas and coal? How about the source of energy to power the server farms of the "cloud" or power our devices? Plus the energy for all the 4G and 5G towers and wireless routers elsewhere that transmit data to us all.

Then there is all of the packaging for all these devices for protection and shipping. Cardboard, printing ink or toner, plastics, etc.

I'm not giving up my devices, but I don't believe newspaper, magazines, and paper books are that big a drain on the planet anymore. Especially, since the "demise of print" has been going on for some time and near the bottom with all the consolidations of newspaper companies and magazine publishers.
The real irony, as a librarian professional recently reminded me, is that books last a long time, on the right paper, centuries.

Electronic media on the other hand, is quite volatile... and requires not only storage, but also a "suitable media reader..." data stored on tape or old floppy discs may no longer be accessible. And one "Carrington Event" could wipe out huge amounts of current Internet servers and their data.

Books will be readable for decades if not longer. Even crappy newsprint will last a few decades. (I know, we found old newspapers in our 1953 walls when doing a remodel, back in 2005.)
Likes For genec:
Old 10-14-19, 08:42 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
The real irony, as a librarian professional recently reminded me, is that books last a long time, on the right paper, centuries.

Electronic media on the other hand, is quite volatile... and requires not only storage, but also a "suitable media reader..." data stored on tape or old floppy discs may no longer be accessible. And one "Carrington Event" could wipe out huge amounts of current Internet servers and their data.

Books will be readable for decades if not longer. Even crappy newsprint will last a few decades. (I know, we found old newspapers in our 1953 walls when doing a remodel, back in 2005.)
You still need a “reader.”

Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 10-14-19, 08:49 AM
Kedosto
Ambulophobic

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
BTW...I do the NYT crossword puzzle in ink every day.
Nobody likes a show-off.

-Kedosto
*pencil*
*extremely worn eraser*
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 10-14-19, 08:58 AM
rseeker

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
I agree with what you said except to add I've been seeing mentions of Canadian boreal forests being cleared for paper and paper-like products.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 10-14-19, 08:59 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 3961 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Kindling. 🔥
+ 1 on this. Newspaper works great on my Webster chimney firestarter,
Old 10-14-19, 09:12 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
We have a really excellent local paper, however, they could never deliver it on time or at all. I got tired of constantly calling them. I get my news electronically now. I do miss having the paper to mask off when I'm painting.
Old 10-14-19, 09:50 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by rseeker View Post
I agree with what you said except to add I've been seeing mentions of Canadian boreal forests being cleared for paper and paper-like products.
They don't replant up there?

One thing about packaging I didn't touch on is if a product is made in China, the packaging is probably made in China as well. I wonder if the Chinese replant their trees used for paper or not? I have a feeling they might not.

Edit to add:

Looks like harvesting and replanting is regulated in the Boreal.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/our-natural-...l-forest/13071

https://www.pellet.org/images/Harvesting_in_the_Boreal_Forest.pdf

https://www.sfmcanada.org/images/Pub...Forests_EN.pdf

Last edited by FiftySix; 10-14-19 at 04:30 PM. Reason: fixin' links
Likes For FiftySix:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.