Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

I have angered the Cycling Gods..

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

I have angered the Cycling Gods..

Old 10-19-19, 07:01 PM
  #1  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 182 Posts
I have angered the Cycling Gods..

Three, count ‘em, three flats in a short 90 km ride.

The Cycling Gods must be angry.

I must make a sacrifice to Santo Tullio Campagnolo.

But what is a proper sacrifice?

OTOH, I picked up a cute lady along the way.

eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 10-19-19, 07:11 PM
  #2  
GrainBrain
Senior Member
 
GrainBrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Central Io-way
Posts: 1,351

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
I must make a sacrifice to Santo Tullio Campagnolo.

But what is a proper sacrifice?
Your rear QR of course! Replace it with a nutted axle and ride with faith in the velo gods instead of your mortal tire levers and spare tubes.
GrainBrain is offline  
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 10-19-19, 07:27 PM
  #3  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain View Post
Your rear QR of course! Replace it with a nutted axle and ride with faith in the velo gods instead of your mortal tire levers and spare tubes.
Speaking of spare tubes, I had to stop at a bike shop in Carpinteria, CA, to buy a spare tube, just in case (well I ended up using it).

It was $8 bucks for a no-name tube. Damn!
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 10-19-19, 07:52 PM
  #4  
ahsposo 
Juicy Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jawja
Posts: 7,089

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 192 Posts
I had that problem a LONG time ago. Finally traced the problem to a rim strip that had shifted causing the tube to pinch in the spoke well.
__________________
I Am An Immigrant
ahsposo is offline  
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 10-19-19, 08:19 PM
  #5  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
I had that problem a LONG time ago. Finally traced the problem to a rim strip that had shifted causing the tube to pinch in the spoke well.
I ride Fulcrum Racing Zero, there is no rim strip because the nipple doesn’t go through.

I think the problem is, or was, that my tire picked up a small wire (possibly from a car tire steel belt) and I did not fully remove it.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 10-19-19, 08:21 PM
  #6  
ahsposo 
Juicy Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jawja
Posts: 7,089

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
I ride Fulcrum Racing Zero, there is no rim strip because the nipple doesn’t go through.

I think the problem is, or was, that my tire picked up a small wire (possibly from a car tire steel belt) and I did not fully remove it.
Yeah, I've had that too. I carry cotton balls to help flag those nasty things.
__________________
I Am An Immigrant
ahsposo is offline  
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 10-19-19, 08:53 PM
  #7  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Yeah, I've had that too. I carry cotton balls to help flag those nasty things.
That cotton ball would have come in handy today.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 10-19-19, 09:15 PM
  #8  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,875
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9491 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 596 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
Speaking of spare tubes, I had to stop at a bike shop in Carpinteria, CA, to buy a spare tube, just in case (well I ended up using it).

It was $8 bucks for a no-name tube. Damn!
Like selling water in the desert!
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-19-19, 09:44 PM
  #9  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Like selling water in the desert!
When you need it, you need it.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 10-19-19, 09:56 PM
  #10  
clemsongirl 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: california
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
I carry cotton balls to help flag those nasty things.
a cotton ball is good…i ball up the back of my glove and slide it in both directions. i also always have a tweezer in my seatbag.

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
But what is a proper sacrifice?
i don’t do sacrifices but after i’m sure i fixed the flat tire…i’ll say a quick thanks to Frigg, the norse goddess of destiny.
__________________
"The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron
clemsongirl is offline  
Old 10-19-19, 10:02 PM
  #11  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
a cotton ball is good…i ball up the back of my glove and slide it in both directions. i also always have a tweezer in my seatbag.


i don’t do sacrifices but after i’m sure i fixed the flat tire…i’ll say a quick thanks to Frigg, the norse goddess of destiny.
I just added a pair of tweezers. It was not fun sitting on the side of the road “biting” into the tire to pull out the tiny wire.

For a sacrifice I was thinking of getting some old Shimano components and torching them.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 10-19-19, 10:14 PM
  #12  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,875
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9491 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 596 Posts
Tweezers are a good idea. Wish I'd thought of that back when I used to get flats - the tube era.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 10-20-19, 02:27 AM
  #13  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,392

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7147 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
I just added a pair of tweezers. It was not fun sitting on the side of the road “biting” into the tire to pull out the tiny wire.

For a sacrifice I was thinking of getting some old Shimano components and torching them.
Or, just buy a new, better rear derailleur. A far more noble sacrifice. New parts are better karma... for the bike. Your wallet will hate you, but it's for the cause, man. Maybe something Italian, eh? Yeah, that's the ticket.😉
genec is offline  
Old 10-20-19, 03:44 AM
  #14  
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: normal heights-san diego, ca
Posts: 4,458

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 81 Posts
my personal best/worst is 5 flats in 50 miles during an 85 mile ride. all individual small thorns (not goatheads). had a combined 4 tubes. ugh.
ooga-booga is online now  
Old 10-20-19, 05:48 AM
  #15  
nomadmax 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Yeah, I've had that too. I carry cotton balls to help flag those nasty things.
I've always found that a bare finger finds stuff stuck in a tire casing faster than a cotton ball. But then, there's the time it takes to stop the bleeding and dress the wound
nomadmax is offline  
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 10-20-19, 07:09 AM
  #16  
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 6,177

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 102 Posts
I had 2 flats within 5 minutes followed by a 3 mile walk home earlier this year when I had a sidewall failure.
no motor? is offline  
Likes For no motor?:
Old 10-20-19, 08:18 AM
  #17  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Or, just buy a new, better rear derailleur. A far more noble sacrifice. New parts are better karma... for the bike. Your wallet will hate you, but it's for the cause, man. Maybe something Italian, eh? Yeah, that's the ticket.��
I think that you may be on to something here.

I have a Record 11 speed group.

Lately, however, the C64 has been “nagging” me to get her the new 12 speed group. That bici thinks that the new, sexy crank will make her look hot.

I have been ignoring her...maybe it is time to listen up.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 10-20-19, 08:19 AM
  #18  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
I had 2 flats within 5 minutes followed by a 3 mile walk home earlier this year when I had a sidewall failure.
OUCH! Three miles while wearing cleats is not fun.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 10-20-19, 09:51 AM
  #19  
ahsposo 
Juicy Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jawja
Posts: 7,089

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
I had 2 flats within 5 minutes followed by a 3 mile walk home earlier this year when I had a sidewall failure.
Pro tip:

A dollar bill is a fairly effective emergency tire boot. You wrap it around the tube (if you're are a fossil like moi) to keep the tube aneurysm to a minimum.
__________________
I Am An Immigrant
ahsposo is offline  
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 10-20-19, 02:16 PM
  #20  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Pro tip:

A dollar bill is a fairly effective emergency tire boot. You wrap it around the tube (if you're are a fossil like moi) to keep the tube aneurysm to a minimum.
With inflation (pun intended) you need a $20.

Just saying...
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 10-20-19, 02:47 PM
  #21  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 7,398

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4076 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Pro tip:

A dollar bill is a fairly effective emergency tire boot. You wrap it around the tube (if you're are a fossil like moi) to keep the tube aneurysm to a minimum.
Ahh, the magic of the dollar bill. Because when I get a flat, I do not mess about. Two flavors: no flat at all, or the booted tire hopefully makes it home to go straight into the bin.

__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 10-20-19, 09:29 PM
  #22  
TriBiker19 
Senior Member
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 347

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '87 Centurion Ironman, 89' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Ahh, the magic of the dollar bill. Because when I get a flat, I do not mess about. Two flavors: no flat at all, or the booted tire hopefully makes it home to go straight into the bin.
My uncle swears by dollar bills and a three foot long piece of duct tape wrapped around his seat post.
__________________
I was going to have a good signature but apparently I'm too verbose.
TriBiker19 is offline  
Old 10-21-19, 06:20 AM
  #23  
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,938
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Ahh, the magic of the dollar bill. Because when I get a flat, I do not mess about. Two flavors: no flat at all, or the booted tire hopefully makes it home to go straight into the bin.

Would have been fun if you folded it so the "all-seeing eye" on the back of the bill was peering out of the slice in the tire.

OP, it's the absolute height of the goathead season here in California, mid October. It's very easy to pick up one on the sidewall, have it puncture, and then fall off. I've switched to different heavy duty tires, until after the first substantial rains come and wash off the roads, and that might not be until December or January. I remember one October having 4 different bikes with flat tires from goat heads. It's carnage this time of year in So Cal, and the tire patch glue flows like blood on the battlefield.
Lemond1985 is offline  
Old 10-21-19, 07:08 AM
  #24  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,600
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
Would have been fun if you folded it so the "all-seeing eye" on the back of the bill was peering out of the slice in the tire.

OP, it's the absolute height of the goathead season here in California, mid October. It's very easy to pick up one on the sidewall, have it puncture, and then fall off. I've switched to different heavy duty tires, until after the first substantial rains come and wash off the roads, and that might not be until December or January. I remember one October having 4 different bikes with flat tires from goat heads. It's carnage this time of year in So Cal, and the tire patch glue flows like blood on the battlefield.
Tribulus terristri, or goatheads, are the bane of every cyclist where these little terrors grow (which it is almost everywhere where cyclists ride). Take a look at the end of the first paragraph of the Wiki article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

My last flat on Saturday’s ride was not a goathead, instead it was that other little monster; tiny wires left on the road when steel belted tires begin to unravel.

BTW, that was a very poetic description of our daily battles with goatheads in So Cal; I especially liked the image of tire patch glue flowing like blood in a battlefield. Well done.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 10-21-19, 07:15 AM
  #25  
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,938
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 302 Posts
Thank you, EB, here's to many more fully-inflated miles.
Lemond1985 is offline  
Likes For Lemond1985:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.