Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where to recycle tires and tubes in Los Angeles?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 11-17-19, 11:11 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I used to bring them to Performance Bikes, but they are now gone obviously. Any other recommendations?
Old 11-17-19, 11:34 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 57 Posts
I know that CSULB has a big recycling program (or at least they used to). You may want to check with a local Community College or University that is near you.
Old 11-20-19, 11:51 PM
Andrew_G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CSULB recycling doesn't take rubber products. I cut the metal valves out of inner tubes and recycle them at CSULB by depositing them in the scrap metal bin.

My local recycling center also doesn't take rubber products - only the standard glass, plastic and metal (aluminum, copper) items.

Maybe your local car tire store can recycle the bicycle tires and tubes. My local car tire store used to take bicycle tires and inner tubes as a courtesy, but they don't do that anymore.

I checked the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works for the Household Hazardous Waste program. Rubber products (bicycle tires and tubes) are not collected.

So, if a local car tire store can't (or won't) recycle bicycle tires and tubes, you (we) unfortunately have to throw them away.
Old 11-21-19, 12:51 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis. Current: 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My bike drawer has many old tubes that I always think will come in handy for something. Still waiting, generally.