Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

TRP-29 160 Rotor Service Limit?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

TRP-29 160 Rotor Service Limit?

Old 11-17-19, 09:46 PM
  #1  
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless
Thread Starter
 
Tony_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 177

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
TRP-29 160 Rotor Service Limit?

I have a bike that is equipped with TRP-29 160mm cable disc brakes. This exact rotor here:

https://trpcycling.com/product/trp-29-slotted-rotor/

What is the wear limit (thickness) for this rotor?

Last edited by Tony_G; 11-17-19 at 09:48 PM. Reason: strange copy paste error
Tony_G is offline  
Old 11-17-19, 10:39 PM
  #2  
jimc101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,540
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Have you tried contacting them? https://trpcycling.com/contact/

If in doubt, just replace, rotors are not exactly the most expensive part on a bike
jimc101 is offline  
Old 11-17-19, 11:00 PM
  #3  
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless
Thread Starter
 
Tony_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 177

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I have not contacted them. I thought some mechanic here might know.

About cost, last week I paid $31.50 for a pair on e-bay, from the cheapest reputable vendor. I'd like to milk out the last safe miles from the OEMs before replacing them. The pair that is on the bike is down to around 1.5mm, and the black paint on the cleaning grooves is wearing off.
Tony_G is offline  
Old 11-18-19, 07:30 AM
  #4  
dsbrantjr
Senior Member
 
dsbrantjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 6,564

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 122 Times in 103 Posts
The last place I'd cheap out on my bike is brakes.
dsbrantjr is offline  
Old 11-18-19, 10:50 AM
  #5  
Spoonrobot 
Senior Member
 
Spoonrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,417
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 71 Posts
Regardless of the spec if you're wearing the clearing groove, you're on the last miles. 1.5mm is the Shimano standard and reasonable for the same style rotors from other manufacturers.

How are you measuring the thickness? A normal caliper often will overstate the thickness as rotors can wear concave or only have pad engagement below the edge of the rotor. I use a dental caliper (or outside diameter caliper) to measure a few spots around the rotor and retire once the lowest spot falls below my preference.

If you do hear back from TRP please share, I don't recall ever seeing their recommendation and a cursory look at their site didn't show anything obvious.
Spoonrobot is offline  
Old 11-18-19, 11:04 AM
  #6  
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 4,958

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 95 Posts
TRP seems to think no one will ride their rotors enough to need to replace them....none of their documentation states a wear-limit, as far as I can tell. Ask them. They aren't alone, I remember reading a Zinn column where even he couldn't find SRAM/Avid documentation on wear-limit for those rotors.

Generally wear limits vary from 1.4mm (Hope) to 1.8mm (Some Magura) depending on the OEM. Generally....the wear limit is a loss of 0.2mm (Hayes, Magura, Hope) to 0.3mm (Shimano) from as-new thickness.
Marcus_Ti is online now  
Old 11-18-19, 12:25 PM
  #7  
dsbrantjr
Senior Member
 
dsbrantjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 6,564

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 122 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot View Post
...I use a dental caliper (or outside diameter caliper) to measure a few spots around the rotor and retire once the lowest spot falls below my preference.
I use an Iwanson gauge, they are also good for measuring rim brake track thicknesses. Like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crown-Gauge...cAAOSwoetdo-kn
There are also little ball adapters which fit onto a micrometer to measure past a ridge: https://www.ebay.com/itm/STARRETT-MI...wAAOSw8V9d0D8C
dsbrantjr is offline  
Old 11-18-19, 08:15 PM
  #8  
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless
Thread Starter
 
Tony_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 177

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot View Post
Regardless of the spec if you're wearing the clearing groove, you're on the last miles. 1.5mm is the Shimano standard and reasonable for the same style rotors from other manufacturers.

How are you measuring the thickness? A normal caliper often will overstate the thickness as rotors can wear concave or only have pad engagement below the edge of the rotor. I use a dental caliper (or outside diameter caliper) to measure a few spots around the rotor and retire once the lowest spot falls below my preference.

If you do hear back from TRP please share, I don't recall ever seeing their recommendation and a cursory look at their site didn't show anything obvious.
Iím measuring with a cheap $10 caliper purchased this week from Harbor Freight. I have checked the trashy tool against some quality feeler gauges. It measures a .88 mm feeler gauge as .93 on average.

Measuring the rotor I am taking care to avoid the outer edge, which just as you say, has outside tips that have no wear.

Today I emailed TRP. If they respond, I will post the info here.
Tony_G is offline  
Old 11-18-19, 11:37 PM
  #9  
AndreyT
Senior Member
 
AndreyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr View Post
The last place I'd cheap out on my bike is brakes.
Does that mean you replace your rotors after every ride?

If you do, then good for you, but I think everyone will agree that this does not make a shred of sense. And is actually a performance-degrading practice.

If you don't, then where do you draw the line? Where exactly does that "cheap out" begin? And that is the question the OP is asking.
AndreyT is offline  
Old 11-19-19, 05:34 AM
  #10  
dsbrantjr
Senior Member
 
dsbrantjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 6,564

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 122 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
Does that mean you replace your rotors after every ride?

If you do, then good for you, but I think everyone will agree that this does not make a shred of sense. And is actually a performance-degrading practice.

If you don't, then where do you draw the line? Where exactly does that "cheap out" begin? And that is the question the OP is asking.
I replace brake components when I get to the point where I am asking myself questions like the original one. I'd rather toss some cheap consumables early than press my luck, especially things like tires and brakes.
dsbrantjr is offline  
Old 11-19-19, 07:57 PM
  #11  
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless
Thread Starter
 
Tony_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 177

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G View Post
I have a bike that is equipped with TRP-29 160mm cable disc brakes. This exact rotor here:

https://trpcycling.com/product/trp-29-slotted-rotor/

What is the wear limit (thickness) for this rotor?
Update:

TRP replied to my email. Here is the spec:

"The wear limit or minimum thickness for the TRP 160-29 is 1.5mm."
Tony_G is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.