Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tiger1964’s 5 projects (E) 1980 Palo Alto

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tiger1964’s 5 projects (E) 1980 Palo Alto

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 12:44 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I too visited the bike shop back in the '80s.
Nice Mondia, .

.....altho, I call mine "sort of a reddish burnt orange color".
Thx 😎

I’ve not seen another Mondia w/ 531 spl lgtwt other than yours’ & mine...rare!
I think you’ve posted that pic once B4? Orange is good . . . 👍
Old 03-24-21, 01:02 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Looks nice. No idea if the Suntour parts are lighter or heavier than the original Campy/Avocet stuff.
When I 1st built it up, I chose Suntour Cyclone Derailluers due to their lightweightedness compared to Campy. The Cyclone derailluers w/ index DT shifters worked flawlessly for years w/ a Regina Xtra SL freewheel.
I had also found a 2nd Generation Dura-Ace crankset w/ 53/39 rings & coupled that to a Stronglight Ti BB. The brakes were Dia-Compe Royal Compes but never thought much of them...flexed too much. Campy Record Ti dual pivots in black solved that problem...

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 03-24-21 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-30-21, 10:04 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
When I 1st built it up, I chose Suntour Cyclone Derailluers due to their lightweightedness compared to Campy.
Well, it would have taken no time at all to weigh the components before installing, but I am certainly not going to take them all back off now!

I think I can wind this topic down, unless there are questions or comments, I think the bike is basically done; needs a shakedown ride nearby to look for minor adjustments, etc. Everything is about on the bike except a frame pump and a small underseat bag. We drank the Chianti, but I found a better-match water bottle for the Gitane (see my other topic) so that bike’s white Elite Fly bottle transfers to the Palo Alto. If I ever find a great source for vintage-look bottles in my choice of colors, I might change yet again.

The brakes fought me a bit but not too bad. In other topics here, (a) getting the Kool-Stop pads into the Suntour holders that are enclosed on all four sides was time-consuming but finally successful, (b) I did file the slots on the rear caliper down another 3.5mm to correctly contact the rim surface, with no ill effects. I did ride the bike a few hundred feet in front of the house, major squealing so toed the front brake in and I hope that solves it, plus the new pads. Oh! And I found that on the Jagwire brake cable set I bought, the supplied ferrules are like 1/10th of a mm too fat to fit into the recesses on the Superbe levers, so I had to sand them down to -- barely -- fit. I did not see that coming.

I had forgotten the Columbus fork decals, which do seem redundant right below the COLUMBUS cast into the fork crown, but they add color to otherwise plain chrome.

Almost overlooked the fact that I stuck a too-long set post bolt in as a placeholder but it could never be tightened down enough, so I ordered a fresh one. I discovered that while the one end of the new bolt had “keying” under the head, as expected, the frame oddly had no notch to receive the keying. So, I had to file one on my pretty fresh powder coating, but it’s hidden. No a fun place to file, inside that hole, but I figured if I tried the Dremel I would surely slip and scar the finish nearby.

Maybe I'll come back with some more photos when I determine a better backdrop than my garage door!

Last edited by tiger1964; 03-30-21 at 10:06 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-30-21, 02:44 PM
1 Lugnut

THEN ordering a sealed BB. The Fuji came with a spindle marked 117 but, for the Palo Alto, I recall running shorter.
I put one of these BB’s (x-cept IOS) in a recent build. Made very well & light. They also come in all sorts of lengths & threading combos. (MIT) made in texas!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMNI-Racer-....m46890.l49286

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 03-30-21 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-30-21, 03:54 PM
Puffin_along

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike. I have a silver Mondia and love the quality of these bikes.
Old 03-30-21, 05:21 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I recently bought a $35 drop bolt off ebay for a SunTour Superbe rear brake. It's not genuine Campy but is nicely made and chrome plated. The listing said "from Poland" but it actually shipped from somewhere in the southeast U.S. and came in less than a week. Fits the Superbes perfectly and added 7.5 mm of additional reach.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 04-12-21, 07:59 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
I put one of these BB’s (x-cept IOS) in a recent build. Made very well & light. They also come in all sorts of lengths & threading combos. (MIT) made in texas!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMNI-Racer-....m46890.l49286
I need to bookmark that, for future builds.

Well, it had a shakedown ride yesterday. 18 miles at a slow 11mph pace as a friend went along and he's recovering from medical issues so we went slooooow. Just about everything felt perfect on the bike. Silent drivetrain, responsive, nice "fit" but, as I had ridden this frame extensively in the past, no surprise. That said...

Even though the ride was slow and flat enough that 3rd/inner was the only gear I needed, I noticed the FC cage rubbing the chain on the way back, so I adjusted and have the wing nut not he shifter a twist to ensure it holds. A mile later, again, a mile later, again. Nearly home, I noticed I had the lever all the way back, like for the outer ring, just to be on the inner ring. When I tried adjusting again, m the chain fell off not he inside. Huh? I figured the FD had massively slipped. Got off the bike, went to put the chain back on, and saw the problem. The "fixed cup", actually a ring for the sealed-bearing unit, had almost unscrewed completely, letting the cranks move outward! Yikes. Fortunately, I was able to screw it most of the way back in by hand to get home, the final 3/4-mile. Ordered Loctite 222 immediately!

And before getting clipless pedals I wanted to ride on the Suntour pedals mostly to ensure there were no squeaks/creaks, on my Masi I think those noises might be coming from the pedals. So I rode in a pair of worn out sneakers with no support, and by the end of the ride my left foot was screaming. So, ordered a set of pedals, if there's noise after that it's the pedals/cleats as right now the bike is silent.

I rode without a pump, the Silca is coming from a BF member and hope to have it here in a couple of days, and I'll paint to match. Bike is basically done.

Old 04-12-21, 09:52 AM
1 Lugnut

When I tried adjusting again, m the chain fell off not he inside. Huh? I figured the FD had massively slipped. Got off the bike, went to put the chain back on, and saw the problem. The "fixed cup", actually a ring for the sealed-bearing unit, had almost unscrewed completely, letting the cranks move outward! Yikes. Fortunately, I was able to screw it most of the way back in by hand to get home, the final 3/4-mile.
Lol: The same thing happened to me when I first put my red Mondia together! On the last leg of a long ride, I wondered what as going on & as I looked down at the crank, I saw it was way off. Much to my chagrin, a bike mechanic was riding next to me w/ a big grin on his face. Like you, I was able to hand tighten it up & make it back home...
No way the new OMNI BB is coming loose. Requires a Shimano Octalink tool for screwing the cups in. Bought one & a torque wrench also. It's staying put...