Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

Suntour V-GT Luxe, overhauled

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-21, 10:21 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts

Suntour V-GT Luxe, completely disassembled, regreased, and cleaned up. Pulleys in good condition and strong spring tension. B-screw and stop screws oiled, and retainer clips are in good shape.

Includes the hanger claw, and it’s unfortunately missing one mounting bushing, according to the diagram on Disraeli Gears. I suspect a facsimile should be easy to find, but please let me know if I’m off base there. I think it’s number 4 on this diagram: SunTour 74 Products - page 2

Say, $42 shipped in the lower 48? SOLD

Last edited by noobinsf; 05-24-21 at 06:49 PM.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 04-12-21, 07:29 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Such a great mech. I know the long-cage Cyclones get a lot of attention, love and respect, but this is just as good a mech that's exceptionally close in weight.

Looks great! Did you follow any specific instructions on overhaul?

Old 04-12-21, 08:53 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Originally Posted by francophile
Such a great mech. I know the long-cage Cyclones get a lot of attention, love and respect, but this is just as good a mech that's exceptionally close in weight.

Looks great! Did you follow any specific instructions on overhaul?
Thanks! A few years ago, I followed RJ the Bike Guy’s youtube video for a VX-GT, and I’ve overhauled about ten similar ones since then (Cyclone gens 1 & 2, Blue Line, VX-GT, and this one), so I’ve gotten to know this style derailleur well.
Old 04-12-21, 10:08 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I have two of them active. My fave.
GLWS

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 04-12-21, 10:10 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Thanks! A few years ago, I followed RJ the Bike Guy’s youtube video for a VX-GT, and I’ve overhauled about ten similar ones since then (Cyclone gens 1 & 2, Blue Line, VX-GT, and this one), so I’ve gotten to know this style derailleur well.
Excellent. Thanks for that tidbit, I didn't realize he'd done a video on one. I'd like to rebuild one I've got but after experiences (not bad, just tedious) overhauling Simplex and Huret mechs, I was hesitant to dive in.

Anyway, appreciate the info and GLWS!

Likes For francophile:
Old 04-13-21, 04:46 AM
oceanhaitang
Haleakalacraterlove

Bikes: 1988 Bianchi Giro with full Campagnolo Victory Groupset

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Got one on my Univega!

Love this mech!

Likes For oceanhaitang:
Old 04-13-21, 06:46 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
And a critical piece of history in the development of derailleurs with its slant parallel design. Chunky and bulky looking to some, but actually light weight, bombproof and unparalleled (pun intended) in shifting on the largest freewheels of the day. I have some in use as well.

They don’t get the attention that Cyclone does, but function just as well and are my first choice when replacing vintage mechs that suck on wide range free wheels (like Shimano Eagle, Simplex Prestige, Campy).

GLWS
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 05-21-21, 01:08 PM
Davswar

Bikes: Univega Nuovo Sport, Univega Viva sport, Trek 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is this still available?
Old 05-22-21, 06:22 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Suntour V-GT Luxe, completely disassembled, regreased, and cleaned up. Pulleys in good condition and strong spring tension. B-screw and stop screws oiled, and retainer clips are in good shape. That RJ video is useful.

Includes the hanger claw, and it’s unfortunately missing one mounting bushing, according to the diagram on Disraeli Gears. I suspect a facsimile should be easy to find, but please let me know if I’m off base there. I think it’s number 4 on this diagram: SunTour 74 Products - page 2

Say, $42 shipped in the lower 48?

How far do you take them apart when overhauling them? I often add a drop of oil to the bushings (which is a pain with the Suntour rear derailleurs) as that helps and a bit of WD 40 to the springs.

Once the spring starts to get weak, that's pretty much it right for one of these? Asking as I have a GT luxe I'd like to see if I can get to function a bit better. The spring is not as strong as it could be and I don't think there's much to be done about that.

Last edited by bikemig; 05-22-21 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-22-21, 07:17 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Once the spring starts to get weak, that's pretty much it right for one of these? Asking as I have a GT luxe I'd like to see if I can get to function a bit better. The spring is not as strong as it could be and I don't think there's much to be done about that.
Not necessarily. If you disassemble enough, you can adjust the spring tension by slotting it into a different position on part 21 (in this diagram):

Old 05-22-21, 10:58 AM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by Davswar
Is this still available?
Sorry, I missed this — yes it is! I think you’re unable to send private messages because you’re a new member? You could click my username and leave me a “visitor message” with your email sometime today, and then I’ll delete the visitor message. Or, just build up your post count and private message me in a couple of days after your tenth post. I’m in no hurry, and you have dibs.
Old 05-22-21, 11:25 AM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by bikemig
How far do you take them apart when overhauling them? I often add a drop of oil to the bushings (which is a pain with the Suntour rear derailleurs) as that helps and a bit of WD 40 to the springs.

Yeah like jeirvine said, you can select the tension hole on most if not all similar models. When I’m doné disassembling, it looks like that diagram, fully disassembled, completely clean. The RJ the Bike Guy video shows how to do that, and I follow that same procedure.
Old 05-23-21, 10:36 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
An rd overhaul, or two might be in my future. Doesn't seem so complicated. Not like the symmetric shifters.

Old 05-24-21, 06:49 PM
noobinsf 

sold