Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Covered Bridge Classic

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Covered Bridge Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 08:05 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Covered Bridge Classic

My wife and I are thinking of flying back East to attend the Covered Bridge Classis near Lancaster, PA.. The problem ls, hill climbing in Colorado is totally different then PA. (They have steep rolling hills and we don't. Got to love Colorado!) How hard is the ride with a tandem? Will we give the drag break a work out?
Old 04-06-21, 09:20 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I rode this ride a couple times, in another life, in another place. With other BF'ers, in fact (you could search for it here and find the thread).

At any rate, your question made me chuckle a little. You'll be fine. None of the climbs in that area are 1) long or 2) steep. And coming from the higher elevation will give you super powers.

It's a beautiful part of the country. I'm glad to see they've added a full century to the menu; it wasn't an option when I did the ride. It's totally worth flying out for
Old 04-06-21, 11:17 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
My wife and I live in Lancaster County and I grew-up in Colorado so know exactly what you are talking about. The hills are steeper but shorted with most being less the a mile. That ride is focused on the covered bridges so is more in the lower levels just up and down. You will see a few tandems, Mel and Barbara from Tandems East have been part of the Expo so it is good to catch up with them and pick up a couple of things. Bummer we won't be riding this year. Do you know where you will be staying? Let me know if you want any ideas for rides to do before or after.
Old 04-06-21, 11:18 AM
PaulGrun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
You're kidding, right? Coming from Colorado? We're originally from PA (now in the Pacific Northwest) and lived in Colorado for 18 years or so. I've never done it, but it's hard to imagine that you'd have any trouble with the Covered Bridges ride. As someone else mentioned, being accustomed to altitude, you'll have a GREAT time at sea level.
Have fun! Be sure to post some pics!
Old 04-12-21, 09:05 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
We ride our tandem and triplet often in Lancaster County, on many of the same roads. For sure the hills are more "punchy" than you'll find in Colorado, but most are short(ish). You'll be fine. You'll probably care more about the potential high humidity and lack of shade when riding in Lancaster in August than the hills!

One note: don't mix up the "Covered Bridges Ride," which is in Bucks County, Pa. (north of Philadelphia) in October, with the "Covered Bridge Classic" held in Lancaster in August. The Bucks County one is also really nice and is usually right around peak foliage in beautiful Bucks County.