Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need help on a vintage Schwinn bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-11-21, 06:52 PM
jingyel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello I found the following photo from a local estate sale. I just wonder if anyone could help me to identify the age and model of this bike.
I also want ton know the approximate market value before I purchase it (if it worthy of the time and money).
Thanks for your help!
Old 04-11-21, 06:55 PM
jingyel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 04-11-21, 06:57 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 512 Posts
There is an appraisals sub forum for classic and vintage here. Can’t help with date and model, somebody else will come along and know though, but I’d wager it’s worth next to nothing and unless it holds some sort of sentimental value isn’t worth the effort.

Unless you just think it looks really awesome or want to brush up on some bike mechanic skills, but there are probably better candidates for that.

Generally, old bikes aren’t worth much (especially as found), even many of the nicer ones.
Old 04-11-21, 07:16 PM
schwinnderella

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 29 Posts
Some old bikes are worth thousands, but this is not one of them. Looks like this is a repainted 20" 1960's girls Schwinn, no money here.
Old 04-11-21, 07:32 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Repaint = strike 1

Girls bike = strike 2

Rust = strike 3
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 04-11-21, 07:34 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Yard art .
Old 04-11-21, 07:57 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
There are three values that this bike would have. 1. If there is a child that needs a good bike, and you would have to do some work on it to be sure it is ready to ride (and they are ok with riding a bike that may be different from what their friends ride), 2, if you want décor like Crackerbarrel restaurants where you place old stuff on the wall or on a porch to get an old time look, 3. disassemble it and sell the parts. There does not appear to be many parts that have any value but the headbadge, handgrips, fenders, seat clamp and seat post might be worth a few dollars.

My quick guess on the bike's age is early 60's based on the tank. The tanks went out of style by the late '60's.

If it is going to be a rider, I am concerned about the front rim where it looks like the rust is through the rim. It is tough to tell from pictures though and it could just be a stain.

I agree with schwinnderella that the bike is repainted. Originally, it would have had pinstriping on the fenders and of course the Schwinn decals.

My sister had a bike like this one when she was little. We later put a banana seat on it and a pair of hi-rise handlebars to keep up with the Stingray style of the time. The good thing about the bike was that it could take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Thanks for bringing back that memory.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 04-12-21, 08:46 AM
jingyel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the comments. I will pass it then.