Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last movie you watched

Old 06-04-18, 01:20 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
"Predestination"(2014) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2397535/
While many time travel sci-fi films try to avoid the paradoxes of encountering yourself or your relatives in the past, this one dives head-long into it.
8/10
Old 06-05-18, 06:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1885 Post(s)
The Man From Earth (2007) -- 6/10

Feels like a moderately engaging stage play, well acted and recorded well on video without actually adapting it to be a proper movie. Pretentious, dated and soggy 1960s-'70s pop psychology/spiritualism fare, weighted down with self-importance that isn't leavened by the attempts at casual dialog. On the plus side, one of Tony Todd's better performances. Too bad he's mostly known for horror movies.

Notable for the worst theme song since that dreadful thing that ruined Star Trek: Enterprise.
Old 06-06-18, 01:29 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quantum of Solace, 1/10. Daniel Craig is OK, the rest of the movie that I could stand to watch is a stinker. Absolutely awful in the worst Paul Greengrass/Jason Bourne tradition - all action shot with a shaky cam held by a victim of Parkinson's disease and edited like an MTV video for the ADD afflicted. Gave me a headache and after 30 minutes I gave up and almost threw up.
Old 06-06-18, 05:02 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Quantum of Solace, 1/10. Daniel Craig is OK, the rest of the movie that I could stand to watch is a stinker. Absolutely awful in the worst Paul Greengrass/Jason Bourne tradition - all action shot with a shaky cam held by a victim of Parkinson's disease and edited like an MTV video for the ADD afflicted. Gave me a headache and after 30 minutes I gave up and almost threw up.
Yeah, my wife gives up on those movies too. I generally just watch them but let my mind wander during the fight scenes and then watch the story in between.
Old 06-13-18, 07:28 PM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
"Shutter Island" (2010) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130884/

Directed by Scorsese, and starring DiCaprio.
Meh.
5/10
Old 06-13-18, 07:42 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Tomb Raider (2018). 6/10, glad I just rented on Amazon but not too bad for an evening of mild entertainment. I'd rent the next one (if they make it).
Old 06-15-18, 01:33 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
"Shutter Island" (2010) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130884/

Directed by Scorsese, and starring DiCaprio.
Meh.
5/10
The book is better, but every other Dennis Lehane novel and the movies based on them are better than Shutter Island.
Old 06-19-18, 01:00 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Went to see the newest Avengers movie, Infinity War.

I have mentioned here before that I don't go into 'comic' movies expecting much. I have been a fan of the latest rendition of most of the heroes and the series of movies have been entertaining. This one was no less so. Great visuals, engaging fight scenes, and so forth. Typically semi weak storyline. It was a bit long considering this lack of story, and even more disturbing to me concerning it was that it wasn't a stand alone story. This completely should have been called Pt1, or something of that nature. Perhaps to those whom are more familiar with the series it's a duh moment, IDK. All in all worth seeing, but like the end of a season cliffhanger than really telling a whole story.
Old 06-19-18, 01:11 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Watched Mother!. This is a hard movie to rate so I'm not even going to try. I found it very engaging, but would not want to watch it again. It made me too tense. It did make me think and I had my own theories of what it was about and read some analysis too. I heard many people hated it, though.
Old 06-20-18, 12:29 AM
Jenniferg82

Bikes: Specialized sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Adrift

Saw these both in the same day. Adrift- 9/10 because it made me cry. There’s just something about lost love movies. Backcountry which is currently on Netflix- 9/10 because it scared the crap out of me and I love being scared.

Last edited by Jenniferg82; 06-20-18 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-20-18, 06:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Loving Vincent,10/10. Superb animation of Vincent Van Gogh's life and especially his death. Animation is based on many of his wonderful paintings. Luckily my wife and I have seen many of those paintings in NL and France while living in Europe. The Van Gogh Retrospective held in 1990 at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam and the Kröller-Müller Museum in Otterlo were fantastic display of many of his best works gathered from around the world for the 100th anniversary of his death, and an unforgettable experience. This movie brings back that experience.

Alone in Berlin, 9/10. Intense story, based on a grief struck German couple who lost their son to the war in 1940 and their anti Nazi reaction. Well acted by Emma Thompson, Brendan Gleeson, and Daniel Brühl.