Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I was Refused Service at McDonalds

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 07:19 PM
Maybelater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was out riding tonight on my single speed and didn't plan on any stops so I left my lock at home. I rode by a McDonalds and thought a ice cream would be nice. I couldn't risk leaving my bike unattended so I tried to order at the drive up speaker. I was refused service because my bike is not considered a motor vehicle. I explained that I couldn't leave my bike outside without a lock. They didn't care so I spoke to their manager and got the same answer. Apparently they don't like ride up customers or grumpy old men on bikes. I suggested they don't want my business and was told they don't want my business. So much for that relaxing ride. Am I being hypersensitive or is their corporate policy a few fries short of a happy meal?
Old 05-17-16, 07:26 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Yes, hypersensitive. Did you perhaps already know their drive through policy before asking them to change it?
Old 05-17-16, 07:34 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
So as long as you were wearing shoes and a shirt.... why didn't you just hoist your bike to your shoulder walk in and order your cone?

If instead of forgetting your lock.... if you had forgot your money would you had expected them to serve you ice cream today... with a promise to be paid on Tuesday?

https://youtu.be/NJ6xBaZ92uA
Old 05-17-16, 07:39 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
The manager should of offered to bring one to you at the front door.
Old 05-17-16, 07:42 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
More than a few threads on this topic. Bring your bike inside or find a better neighborhood to stop at. They're concerned with liability if a lousy driver runs over you.
Old 05-17-16, 07:42 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
They did you a favor. Go to a better place.
Old 05-17-16, 07:51 PM
Maybelater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
So as long as you were wearing shoes and a shirt.... why didn't you just hoist your bike to your shoulder walk in and order your cone?

If instead of forgetting your lock.... if you had forgot your money would you had expected them to serve you ice cream today... with a promise to be paid on Tuesday?

https://youtu.be/NJ6xBaZ92uA
I could have taken my bike in the restaurant but felt it wouldn't be appreciated. I had a locked bike stolen last week and wasn't taking any chances. It was the managers curt response to my inquiry that got me frustrated. I sensed a too big to care attitude.
Old 05-17-16, 07:52 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Hmmm don't think a single drive thru in my area allows bicyclists not just a Macdonald's thing. Even horseback riders cannot go through drive thru.
Old 05-17-16, 07:54 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
What happened to the idea that a bike is a legal vehicle?
Old 05-17-16, 07:56 PM
Maybelater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Great advice! I will follow your recommendation....
Old 05-17-16, 07:58 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
..... or find a better neighborhood to stop at. ...
+1 I ride a pretty large area. But I make a point of knowing what is where. Some areas I ride through are sketchy enough... I don't stop (period). Other areas there aren't much to worry about. But even in the safest, nicest, of neighborhoods I don't leave my bike alone for long... and never unlocked.

But I also know I can carry my bike inside many park restrooms. I know where public outside drinking fountains are. I even know where I can get food (or an ice cream) and never walk away from my bike.

Originally Posted by Maybelater
I could have taken my bike in the restaurant but felt it wouldn't be appreciated. I had a locked bike stolen last week and wasn't taking any chances.
That sucks that you lost a bike... that's a real bummer.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 05-17-16 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 08:13 PM
techsensei

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blue192
Hmmm don't think a single drive thru in my area allows bicyclists not just a Macdonald's thing. Even horseback riders cannot go through drive thru.

Perhaps it is not a corporate policy, but one set by the individual franchisee? I've seen on television where a McD's in Alaska accepted snowmobiles, for example.
Old 05-17-16, 08:17 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
More than a few threads on this topic. Bring your bike inside or find a better neighborhood to stop at. They're concerned with liability if a lousy driver runs over you.
Bingo. Further most fast food joints are like this. Several around here have explicitly put up signs on their drive-thru windows stipulating "only people in/on motor vehicles, otherwise go inside".
Old 05-17-16, 08:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Choose another restaurant. McDonald's sucks anyway, and in every way. Worst major chain fast food joint and they don't deserve anyone's business because they don't even try to give half a damn. Their food is terrible, they're overpriced (except for the dollar menu), and most have indifferent and obnoxious employees and managers.

Send a constructively but strongly worded email or social media post to McD's national HQ. But don't expect much. If they gave a tiny damn we'd have seen some results long ago. McD's deserves to go out of business.

My mom used to pull up to the window at Sonic in her wheelchair, which cracked up the employees. She could have gone to the various parking lot or picnic tables but they humored her and served her at the window.

I usually stop at Sonic because they're ubiquitous in Texas and I can order from their covered picnic table patios.

If the joint isn't busy I'd take my bike inside. Most of the places I stop for a bite would probably find it amusing at worst. Otherwise I'll lock it where I can keep an eye on it.
Old 05-17-16, 08:33 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Dairy Queen I think is the only national chain with a "walk thru" window. So that you stand outside to buy ice cream, I have seen several smaller non chained ice cream shops do this too.
Old 05-17-16, 08:39 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,468 Posts
Many drivers do not pay attention to even other cars at drive up lanes. Ever see the near fender benders where two order lanes merge to one? I can see how cyclists can easily get hit. I don't blame McDonalds or any other place to not serve people outside of cars.
Old 05-17-16, 08:49 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had mixed luck with drive thrus, even at the same restaurants. It all depends on who is working and their mood.
Old 05-17-16, 08:50 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Choose another restaurant. McDonald's sucks anyway, and in every way. Worst major chain fast food joint and they don't deserve anyone's business because they don't even try to give half a damn. Their food is terrible, they're overpriced (except for the dollar menu), and most have indifferent and obnoxious employees and managers.

Send a constructively but strongly worded email or social media post to McD's national HQ. But don't expect much. If they gave a tiny damn we'd have seen some results long ago. McD's deserves to go out of business.

My mom used to pull up to the window at Sonic in her wheelchair, which cracked up the employees. She could have gone to the various parking lot or picnic tables but they humored her and served her at the window.

I usually stop at Sonic because they're ubiquitous in Texas and I can order from their covered picnic table patios.

If the joint isn't busy I'd take my bike inside. Most of the places I stop for a bite would probably find it amusing at worst. Otherwise I'll lock it where I can keep an eye on it.
What the Cat said = +1. I can't remember the last time I was in a McDonalds. Many choices that are much better these days.
Old 05-17-16, 08:51 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I think taking the bike inside is a bad idea. It's a restaurant, not a bike park.
Old 05-17-16, 08:58 PM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Old 05-17-16, 09:04 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat

If the joint isn't busy I'd take my bike inside. Most of the places I stop for a bite would probab
ly find it amusing at worst. Otherwise I'll lock it where I can keep an eye on it.
McDonalds is fast food and as far as fast food goes it is fine. Either way, Sonic is the same type of crap so not sure why you would even go there. You seem to have compiled a lot of data on McDonalds though as you made some pretty specific claims. Not sure how you got all that data unless you go there frequently. Weird...
Old 05-17-16, 09:13 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Go to Sonic next time.
Old 05-17-16, 09:17 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Burgerville in Oregn allows bikes to go through drive through. They're local and know we have lots of cyclists.
Old 05-17-16, 09:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
McDonalds is fast food and as far as fast food goes it is fine. Either way, Sonic is the same type of crap so not sure why you would even go there. You seem to have compiled a lot of data on McDonalds though as you made some pretty specific claims. Not sure how you got all that data unless you go there frequently. Weird...
You're seriously going to play devil's advocate for McDonald's? Can't tell if trolling or just like to argue for the sake of arguing.

I do have to go there, at least once a month for day-long medical appointments to accompany my disabled mom, and occasionally to accompany disabled neighbors who don't have medical aides to help them on long medical appointment days. Usually I prefer the hospital cafeteria but it has very limited hours.

McD's only almost-decent meal is breakfast, which fortunately they now serve extended hours. Their food is terrible. If McD's ever accidentally puts something good on the menu, they'll discontinue it as soon as they discover their mistake. Sonic, Braum's, Wendy's, Whataburger, Burger King, Jack in the Box... all of 'em are better. Jack in the Box 99 cent dogfood tacos are better than anything on the McD's menu. The only fast food burger joint remotely as bad as McD's is In-N-Out Burger, which isn't actually bad just overrated and they cook their burgers into dried husks of formerly meat-like substances. On the plus side, our local In-N-Out lets homeless people rest and nap there, as long as they don't hassle customers. So, extra credit to them for that.
Old 05-17-16, 09:22 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
You think the "better place" would serve the OP at the drive-in window or will let him park his bicycle inside by his table while he settles in with his ice cream cone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.