Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I was Refused Service at McDonalds

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I was Refused Service at McDonalds

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 12:27 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I can imagine all sorts of things. Mostly when I imagine pedestrians in drive thru lanes, it isn't particularly positive things I think of. $60 in sales when 30 drunk people show up and order two $1 menu burritos each and are all congregating in my drive thru lane is likely far more trouble than it is worth.
Well, that's your imagination and not reality. I can tell you that the product that you're likely to sell in a given period of time is predictable to a degree that you probably don't imagine, and it's not going to be 30 times "two $1 burritos", not unless they're way under-priced. 30 orders are 30 orders, and if you've ever run a place you'll realize that you don't really care if they're in the drive thru. Other than that being preferable to them coming inside, since there you need to provide service (if that's what you do) and at least clean up after them.

There simply is nothing that is going to convince me that rescinding the policy for the whims of the random cyclist who can't be bothered to carry a lock that may come through every few days or weeks is worth it for the company, and that is the only point that matters. There are far more drawbacks to the entirety of the situation than benefits to the company.
Well OK about convincing you otherwise. I personally wouldn't want the drive-through window in the first place - if anything, in my experience walk-up window is easier and much more convenient to service - but if it was worth it to have one I can assure you that your drawbacks are more imagined than real.
Old 06-21-18, 12:52 PM
northtexasbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
What you are stating here is just more stupid rules and more stupid rules based on stupid theoretical assumptions and / or conclusions. Fact; When potential customers are inconvenienced they will either not go to your place of business or they will go somewhere else. How much this makes a difference is up to the owners. I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting in the parking lot of the local Taco Bell ( late at night ) and watch as cars full of young people pull up thinking the inside is open only to find that the drive thru is the only option. Sadly the girls ( usually what I see ) need to take a pee and have no access to the restrooms. At that point the only thing open near by with accessible restrooms is either the McD's ( across town ) or the Royal Farms ( both about equal distance away ) There are times when I'm glad I'm a man because I have no qualms about walking behind a dumpster and letting it hang out ( if that is my only option ). Believe me, if there was a Checkers near where I live and it was open late at night I would love to ride my bike there to get me a late night snack once in a while.
I'm not even sure what you are arguing, but I guess I agree with you. Most rules are based on assumptions good or bad. That's generally how the world operates. Plenty of businesses cater to the scenarios being described in this discussion because it makes financial sense, others don't because they don't think it does. If you don't have a business in your area that caters to something you would like, then the obvious conclusion would be that the market isn't big enough for it. Of course it's possible the businesses in your area are stupidly leaving money on the table.

Carloads of young people late at night aka drunk wanting to use the bathroom sounds like a fun mess to clean up. Hopefully they order more than enough food to offset.

Last edited by northtexasbiker; 06-21-18 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-21-18, 01:34 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Well, that's your imagination and not reality. I can tell you that the product that you're likely to sell in a given period of time is predictable to a degree that you probably don't imagine, and it's not going to be 30 times "two $1 burritos", not unless they're way under-priced. 30 orders are 30 orders, and if you've ever run a place you'll realize that you don't really care if they're in the drive thru. Other than that being preferable to them coming inside, since there you need to provide service (if that's what you do) and at least clean up after them.
And having not too long ago been a drunk college kid on Taco Bell runs, I can guarantee you that items off the $1 menu, including those delicious Beefy Fritos Burritos that replaced my favorite Beefy Five Layers, are a staple of the late night crowd

If your argument is that some businesses could benefit from a walk up window separate from the drive thru, or to stay open inside later, I'm certainly not going to argue that point (although, a window would take a fundamental redesign of many buildings). My argument relates to there being FAR more business drawback to allowing pedestrians and cyclists into that lane than there are benefits, and the sales they are losing by not allowing it is really marginal.

After all, if you want to talk about maximizing profits, one hit cyclist or pedestrian in your drive thru line could shut you down all night.
Old 06-21-18, 03:58 PM
wphamilton

And having not too long ago been a drunk college kid on Taco Bell runs, I can guarantee you that items off the $1 menu, including those delicious Beefy Fritos Burritos that replaced my favorite Beefy Five Layers, are a staple of the late night crowd ...
Well I still do consider that sort of thing as a staple.

You may well be right about the reasons individual managers or owners have. My opinion is that they're silly for it, and haven't given enough thought about priorities. My hope is that if enough people get the idea that they're getting smoke blown up their back about it, and complain to those folks, then maybe I can get my late night $1 menu items when I want, on foot if I want.

After all, if you want to talk about maximizing profits, one hit cyclist or pedestrian in your drive thru line could shut you down all night.
I'd just move them off to the side, let the paramedics take care of it and go on with business. Post "at your own risk" signs on the line. But realistically, how many years in between that happening, if ever?
Old 06-21-18, 05:26 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
who still eats fast food shame on you for even going near a mcdonalds , that place is destroying the food supply our country the health of children , shame shame shame ON YOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Old 06-21-18, 06:52 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
okay, that's just ridiculous

Come on.
Old 06-21-18, 06:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
(sigh)
Old 06-22-18, 12:25 AM
Jenniferg82

Bikes: Specialized sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And having not too long ago been a drunk college kid on Taco Bell runs, I can guarantee you that items off the $1 menu, including those delicious Beefy Fritos Burritos that replaced my favorite Beefy Five Layers, are a staple of the late night.
Gotta love a Frito burrito.. what is this life if we can’t occasionally indulge in something that’s bad for you?? But really, I have went through numerous fast food drive ins on my bike without a problem. I can only remember once when gave have me crap at the Burger King. Probably just depends on who is working and what they allow. Also, maybe liability issue? I was recently in an accident where I was hit with a door and although I was on my bike, the insurance company says I am considered a pedestrian. So maybe McDonalds insurance company considers us bikers pedestrians? Just a wild guess.
Old 06-22-18, 06:53 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'd just move them off to the side, let the paramedics take care of it and go on with business. Post "at your own risk" signs on the line.
Doesn't matter if you post "at your own risk" signs or not. If you're part of a major corporation, you're gonna get sued because that's where the money is. And they'll file a lawsuit hoping you'll just throw some money their way to settle it.
Old 06-22-18, 07:40 AM
jefnvk

I'd just move them off to the side, let the paramedics take care of it and go on with business. Post "at your own risk" signs on the line. But realistically, how many years in between that happening, if ever?
Yes, because that is exactly how the authorities prefer you treat a situation in which someone gets run over by a car

And I think it has been fairly proven time and again that not even waivers, let alone signs, regarding "at your own risk" means a lot when it comes to lawsuits.
Old 06-22-18, 12:12 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Doesn't matter if you post "at your own risk" signs or not. If you're part of a major corporation, you're gonna get sued because that's where the money is. And they'll file a lawsuit hoping you'll just throw some money their way to settle it.
Yep, and that is why as a country we have a big problem when it comes to frivolous law suits. That's why businesses like McD's spends millions in insurance and lawyers fees. Changing their rules for drive thru really isn't going to change how many times they get sued. They likely get sued all the time for BS stuff.

Interestingly yesterday I decided to go to a McD's where I was working and asked a couple questions. I asked the girl at the drive thru window if I ordered via the "Mobile app" if I could do this on a bike. She said that when you order on the mobile app they look to see who is waiting in the reserve parking area. If someone is in the numbered spot they bring the food out to you. Not sure if this is offered where I live or if it will actually work if on a bike but I might give it a try one night if I decide to download the app. Been a while since I ate McD food. The crispy chicken sandwich I ate didn't settle too well in my stomach. Perhaps this is all "food for thought" but not necessarily something you want to eat.
Old 06-22-18, 01:28 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I don't eat at McDonalds very often... but when I do, I order a Double Quarter Pounder with cheese.
Old 06-22-18, 03:06 PM
wphamilton

Yes, because that is exactly how the authorities prefer you treat a situation in which someone gets run over by a car

And I think it has been fairly proven time and again that not even waivers, let alone signs, regarding "at your own risk" means a lot when it comes to lawsuits.
You're not wrong, but it stops a lot of people from suing, and it does help when the establishment or private property owner is not directly involved in the mishap. You may be as likely to get run over exiting the parking lot as you would in line, so seriously, I think the liability worry is blown out of proportion.
Old 06-22-18, 09:01 PM
LKA 

Bikes: '17-Haanjo Trail '09-H-a-o-l-e '88-712

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only read the title.

You shouldn't be angry, you should be grateful. They did you a HUGE favor.

That C*R*A*P is POISON.

Last edited by LKA; 06-22-18 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-23-18, 08:31 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If people only knew the truth of what gets put into fast food.....It's no wonder that we have a obesity epidemic, even many people who are physically active including cyclists are overweight and have a hard time loosing those extra pounds. You just can't out-exercise a bad diet.
Old 06-23-18, 08:37 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If people only knew the truth of what gets put into fast food.....It's no wonder that we have a obesity epidemic, even many people who are physically active including cyclists are overweight and have a hard time loosing those extra pounds. You just can't out-exercise a bad diet.
you know someone "might' have a chemical addiction, if they need to make a post on the internet crying about a no bicycle drive-thru policy that has been in place for 20 + years!
Old 06-23-18, 11:25 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I'm pretty sure, in Canada at least, that anyone can find out what's put in fast and any other kind of food - it's kinda like a law. Most people just choose not to look.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/ca/en-ca/product/big-mac.html

Neither obesity nor nor poor health is caused by occasionally eating fast food, any more than occasionally eating a big slice of home made apple pie. It only occurs when you do so on a very regular basis. I have never heard a reasonable person argue that fast food should make up the bulk of your regular diet.

Obesity is simply calories in vs calories out over a protracted period of time. It can happen if you eat too many Big Mac's or too many apple pies.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 06-23-18 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-23-18, 12:34 PM
LKA 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
I don't eat at McDonalds very often... but when I do, I order a Double Quarter Pounder with cheese.
You actually believe it's cheese?
It's American Cheese PRODUCT. That ain't cheese, no way, no how.
It's PSEUDO-cheese: unfermented dairy products, emulsifiers (usually sodium phosphate, tartrate or citrate), salt, food coloring and whey.

And that's just the cheese.

I recommend this thread be closed.

It's 2018 & people still don't get it.
Old 06-23-18, 12:46 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts

Move to a more civilized area, with walkup windows and tastier food
Old 06-23-18, 12:50 PM
Happy Feet

You shouldn't try to limit conversation just because you can't control the flow of its content. We are all big kids here.

unless you'd prefer a dictatorship where certain forms of food service are banned, the logical approach is to encourage discussion wherein understanding the real causes and cures of obesity are talked about rather than knee jerk reactions to one particular retail outlet.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 06-23-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-23-18, 12:59 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
You shouldn't try to limit conversation just because you can't control the flow of its content. We are all big kids here.

unless you'd prefer a dictatorship where certain forms of food service are banned, the logical approach is to encourage discussion wherein understanding the real causes and cures of obesity are talked about rather than knee jerk reactions to one particular retail outlet.
I can relate. This thread has been basically solved by the OP in post No.10. Everything since has been entertainment.
Old 06-23-18, 01:14 PM
Happy Feet

Yep. The ops dilemma is just what it is. While I can sympathise, life isn't always fair.

I stopped drinking years ago yet somehow bars still remain in operation, even though alcohol related illness and injury are well established facts. I could hate on those establishments, even picking one major chain in particular to foist my vitriol on, but I'm mature enough to recognize consumption is primarily an individual responsibility - and that's with a substance that has specific properties that tend to make you want to drink more of it.

Thus, the McD hating is basically misgided to me.
Old 06-23-18, 01:21 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LKA
It's PSEUDO-cheese: unfermented dairy products, emulsifiers (usually sodium phosphate, tartrate or citrate), salt, food coloring and whey.

I recommend this thread be closed.....

Why is that? Just because you don't like that people like to talk about BS stuff like fast food or that you want to be the censor king? People need to vent. I say let them vent as long as they are civil. If your planned ride gets trashed because of bad weather it really feels good to vent. American people love to BS and vent. If I have a choice between living in a sterilized society and eating a cheese burger with fake cheese, give me a Burger King Double whopper ( with whatever they call cheese ) and let the pounds fall where they may.
Old 06-23-18, 01:23 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by LKA

I recommend this thread be closed.

It's 2018 & people still don't get it.
When I first got into cheese making, the only local place that sold rennet was a natural holistic foods store. Every time I went in there, I couldn't help but notice how sickly and gaunt a large portion of their clientele looked.

I'm not convinced the other side has it right, either.
Old 06-23-18, 01:45 PM
LKA 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was too easy

Hahahaha, I knew that last one would rile up some defenders of freedom who choose to remain blind to facts.

Ignorance is treatable, stupidity is not.

I think I'm done here. Carry on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.