Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Amac??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-18, 12:12 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Amac??

Wondering what are the really benifits of membership in a "senior" organization?
Old 02-11-18, 12:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Aarp?
Old 02-11-18, 01:17 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
AARP is great for email and postal mail. Lots of insurance offers.
Magazine and newsletters are interesting. Especially all the ads for walk-in bathtubs.
Occasionally useful discounts.
Old 02-11-18, 01:20 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Had never heard of AMAC. "AMAC is the conservative alternative."
Joining AMAC is as Easy as 1-2-3!
Old 02-11-18, 04:23 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
AARP started out as a marketing gimmick to sell life insurance for Seniors. AARP was vocal in support of Obamacare. They are also pro- gnu control. (intentional misspelling to get around word censoring)

As noted above, the newer AMAC (Association of Mature American Citizens) is senior association like AARP but their political leanings are more in the Conservative spectrum.. 'Senior Discount' codes for goods and services are also available.

I'm not endorsing either, just trying to clarify... I get mailings for both! I started getting AARP mailings before I turned 30!
Old 02-11-18, 08:39 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I've saved more in car rentals and hotel rooms than the cost of the AARP life membership so it's worked out pretty well for me. But as JaMM points out, they send out a lot of mail.

I joined their auto assistance program (through Allstate). It isn't as comprehensive as the AAA membership but it costs about half. I got it in case my Studebaker pickup truck breaks down -- but that's fodder for another forum. Sadly, there isn't much about 50+ bicyclists, which is why I enjoy this site.
Old 02-11-18, 08:53 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
These associations seem to do a decent job negotiating deals for members, so they can make sense on a straight dollar basis.

But they also act as political lobbies, so you might want to think about what your membership dollars and kickbacks (or referral fees) from insurance and the like are spent on.

I took a look at AMAC and it looks like Trumpism dressed up as a senior organization.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-12-18, 06:08 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
AARP started out as a marketing gimmick to sell life insurance for Seniors. AARP was vocal in support of Obamacare. They are also pro- gnu control. (intentional misspelling to get around word censoring)

As noted above, the newer AMAC (Association of Mature American Citizens) is senior association like AARP but their political leanings are more in the Conservative spectrum.. 'Senior Discount' codes for goods and services are also available.

I'm not endorsing either, just trying to clarify... I get mailings for both! I started getting AARP mailings before I turned 30!
I had to chuckle at that. I turned 50 in Aug of 2014 and had not received any AARP mailings....until about two weeks ago. I've gotten two more since then. Hey, I'm officially a "senior." LOL!!

Old 02-12-18, 02:38 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
AARP was founded as a marketing organization selling particularly insurance to seniors. Along the way they discovered they could sell more insurance by taking particular political positions. I assume the other organization is similar. Neither one actually cares about the politics except for the sales figures. Both now sell a lot of different products to their target audience. If you like that, then sign up.
Old 02-12-18, 02:50 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
They are also pro- gnu control. (intentional misspelling to get around word censoring)
Controlling gnus is important. Imagine lots of people had gnus. Things could turn violent.

P.S. You can write gun.
Old 02-13-18, 03:21 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The AARP discounts are pretty useless. I can always do better by getting a discount through my credit card, my car insurance, Expedia, or even by just for asking.
Old 02-13-18, 03:44 PM
welshTerrier2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, it's not really a "senior" organization but I thought it might help to let people here know about T-Mobile's Unlimited 55+ plan.

Two lines with unlimited talk, text and data for a total of $60 a month which includes all taxes and fees. To get that price, you have to give them a credit card which they charge each month automatically. If you just have one line, it's $50 a month.

I signed up for this last week and they never asked me my age. I also quit the plan yesterday because their service stinks in my area. If they have good coverage where you are, it could be a really good deal.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-18, 07:16 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Controlling gnus is important. Imagine lots of people had gnus. Things could turn violent.

P.S. You can write gun.
For a while here on BF, the word 'gun' was censored, and showed up as '***'. I wasn't aware that had changed....
Old 02-13-18, 07:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

P.S. You can write ***.
SSSSH!!!.

it's much more fun seeing what people will do to get around the *** censor.

It's sort of like those invisible dog fences. Once the dog gets zapped a few times and learns where the fence line is, you can remove the collar and turn off the juice. As far as the dog knows or cares the fence is still up and zapping big time.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-13-18 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 08:49 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Along the way they discovered they could sell more insurance by taking particular political positions. I assume the other organization is similar. Neither one actually cares about the politics except for the sales figures.

AARP takes a stance on most political issues that affect Seniors. I don't know if they care, but they direct money and influence at Washington DC.
Old 02-18-18, 07:38 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You aren't giving ALL your money to your children.