Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Unusual Dunelt c.56-63

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 08:19 PM
zentiques

Bikes: Torpado Superlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rare Dunelt Travel Bicycle c.56-63

Rare Dunelt Travel Bike.
21679 A serial number looks like Raleigh circa 1956, the SA hub is AW 63, and the BB has the oil fill cap. Lycett L66 saddle. Sears speedometer. Oak Park MI license tag 1966.
Compression joints are very well crafted, guessing mid 60s, any ideas ?
Better to part it out or sell complete ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dunelt 1.jpg (1.38 MB, 89 views)
dunelt 2.jpg (1.39 MB, 88 views)
dunelt 3.jpg (797.3 KB, 88 views)
dunelt 4.jpg (654.2 KB, 105 views)
dunelt 6.jpg (968.9 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by zentiques; 02-10-18 at 01:51 PM. Reason: New information
Old 02-10-18, 06:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Parting out a bike usually yields more money but takes a lot more time. And you'll end up with parts no one wants. If you're not disciplined about it, it could cost money or at least not yield its potential. I bought a bike once to part out, and I won't do it again.

This one is really special, with those couplers on the frame. Are you sure you don't want to keep the bike?

I don't know how to read the serial numbers. Generally, the date on the hub indicates the age of the bike, though the hub might be from 1963, and the bike might have been made in 1964.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-10-18, 08:39 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
The three speed market really varies. In some urban markets, they get a strong response. Here, you basically have to give them away. I keep finding interesting 3 speeds, I'll buy them cheap, and then I lose money on them. I just don't learn.

Raleigh wasn't too good at inventory management. I had a Raleigh where the frame was ten years older than the hub, that was kind of the worst case inventory management. The Japanese really brought along just in time inventory management and tightened up dates a lot.

Clean it up, fix the wonky rear brake cable, and hopefully your market is better than mine. The closer you are to Boston the better.

I don't think it was a special model. People have been adding couplings to bikes for many decades.

Part out depends on what your time is worth. Sears speedo and leather saddle could have some value. If you have a decent replacement saddle, I'd be tempted to replace those two parts. Saddle + speedo in my market > total value of the bike. But someone might really like your bike with the coupler frame. Thats a wild card. Sold a men's Dunelt with typical saddle, no speedo and no couplings for $50......

People often mistake rare with valuable. Often rare just means was not popular. Rare cars often bring LESS than popular models from the same era. Fork Mustang was one example. They made over 1 million of them in the first two years. Yet they bring a lot more $$ than the rare competitor products.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-10-18 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-11-18, 10:55 AM
zentiques

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the perspectives. Knew the bike itself wasn't anything great, more a sum of its parts. Someone's daily commuter in the Detroit area, serious enough to do a few upgrades and lay out some cash for the couplers. I find those the most interesting aspect, certainly of the same mid 60's period. They look like a forerunner of today's S&S, haven't seen anything comparable, who made these ? Easy enough to part out the seat and speedo, guessing the frame would travel back over the pond. Left with a couple fenders, chain guard, rear wheel / hub. And the crankset, oh boy. Considering a dual strategy, CL the whole bike and eBay just the frame, whichever goes first.
Old 02-11-18, 10:56 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I wouldn't part this bike out. I can't imagine there's a big market for this frame given what a PITA it would be to find the parts. Plus complete bikes can be found for not much more than you'd be willing to sell the frame for.
Old 02-12-18, 03:17 PM
vintagebicycle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
I've always been a really big fan of English three speeds, but I wouldn't give a dime for a cut or take-a-part frame of any sort.
If it were mine, I'd sell off the frame and fine another frame and build it back up as a solid frame bike.
I would as mentioned before here, sell off the leather saddle and that Sears Speedometer, those two will likely bring as much or more than the rest of the bike.
Put a standard vinyl saddle on it.
Judging by the reflections in the photo, the wheels don't look all that perfect, I see several rim bruises and dents and a good bit of chrome wear too.
The rear wheel is also too far forward, either the chain is too short or the rear fender brace is wrong.
I'd also get rid of those Schwinn hand grips and find a good pair of original Raleigh or Brooks grips.

The bike in general gives me the impression it was cobbled together from a bunch of spare parts at one point.
Its an early frame, with a later crank chainring, (Early models had DUNELT letters around the ring). The hub is marked 1963, so likely the wheels are from '63 or '64. The hand grips came off a Schwinn, (I don't think I've ever had an original Raleigh grip go bad). Its also got an above the bar later style shifter, vs. the older under bar SA shifter, and the kickstand appears to be a Wald replacement.
The original saddle would have been Brooks, either a leather B66 or sprung vinyl.
The couplings have been added, if you notice the forward pump pegs are now useless since the coupler nuts are in the way, thus the two aftermarket add on pump pegs on the seat tube.
The original handgrips were likely white vinyl, which did turn yellow over time but they rarely fell apart.
My guess is someone came across a frame that had those couplings added and built up a bike with various parts somewhere along the way.
Old 02-12-18, 07:15 PM
zentiques

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgot the wonky brake cable.