Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hed Chris King 24/28 vs Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST for Mt Diablo

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hed Chris King 24/28 vs Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST for Mt Diablo

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 02:21 PM
Boerd

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RSL 2018, Passoni Titanio 2020

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 8 Posts
Hed Belgium Plus Chris King 24/28 vs Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST for Mt Diablo

Context: My LBS is building me a Vamoots RSL Sram Red eTap.
Main usecase: up and down Mt Diablo (NorCal)
Price difference: not most important but the deal I get on Mavic is better. After tax the difference is 400$ or so (Mavic is slightly more expensive)
Concerns: My paranoia is skeptical of carbon even though I’m not dragging brakes. What if you get stuck behind a car? Alloy is fine with it. On one side I can go with something time tried on the other with the bling factor.
I can’t find ANY tests (real tests not advertisement) with this Mavic model

these 2 are my choices after looking around

help me decide
SOS

Last edited by Boerd; 06-22-18 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-21-18, 11:03 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No opinion on those 2 wheelsets, but:

Originally Posted by Boerd
What if you get stuck behind a car?
Then just pass the guy

Geoff
Old 06-22-18, 01:01 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
If you are riding up and down Mt Diablo a lot (several times a week), wet and dry, and not much else I would get the Heds. If you are riding all over the place and up and down Mt Diablo less frequently get the Mavics.
Old 06-22-18, 11:53 AM
Boerd

Originally Posted by Dean V
If you are riding up and down Mt Diablo a lot (several times a week), wet and dry, and not much else I would get the Heds. If you are riding all over the place and up and down Mt Diablo less frequently get the Mavics.
mostly up and down - I like climbing
Old 06-22-18, 12:57 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts

mostly up and down - I like climbing
Me too, so I got the hed 24/28 tubulars. Safer in a blowout.
Old 06-22-18, 01:01 PM
Boerd

Originally Posted by f4rrest
Me too, so I got the hed 24/28 tubulars. Safer in a blowout.
Glue or tape - what do you use? I thought of tubular but the glueing seems complicated. Also - doesn’t heat melt the glue?

Last edited by Boerd; 06-22-18 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 01:14 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

help me decide
SOS [/left]
I have no experience with your carbon option, but I have the Chris King/Hed wheels (disc version, with 28/28). They are outstanding wheels, and Chris King really stands behind their builds. (I broke a spoke when my wife's bike fell on it, and they re-built and shipped the wheel for me, free, even out of the warranty period). I would not hesitate to buy from them again. The hubs and rims are both of outstanding quality, and very good value.
Old 06-22-18, 03:06 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Glue or tape - what do you use? I thought of tubular but the glueing seems complicated. Also - doesn’t heat melt the glue?
Vittoria mastik one.

There's a Univ of Kentucky PhD who published research a number if years ago showing the tape vs. glue result, what's the best glue process, how heat affects bond strength, etc. You can find the PDFs using Google.

I won't be dragging the brakes.
Old 06-22-18, 04:42 PM
MattyMurdah

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Cross // 2014 Scott Addict 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Carbon brake tracks are thicker w/ tubular rims because they don't need to build hooks for the bead which can greatly reduce the risk of a blowout. Or so I hear. Haven't ever heard of the heat affecting glue.

Isn't the Diablo climb super boring? (No tree cover and basically up and then just back down). You should get over to Mt. Tam more often .
Old 06-22-18, 05:02 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MattyMurdah
Isn't the Diablo climb super boring? (No tree cover and basically up and then just back down)
LOL... Tough crowd I personally like it a lot, as I do Mt Hamilton, Mt Tam and many other local climbs! I usually do Mt Hamilton due to proximity, but I wouldn't complain if I was "stuck" with Mt Diablo

Geoff
Old 06-22-18, 05:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Carbon brake tracks are thicker w/ tubular rims because they don't need to build hooks for the bead which can greatly reduce the risk of a blowout. Or so I hear. Haven't ever heard of the heat affecting glue.

Isn't the Diablo climb super boring? (No tree cover and basically up and then just back down). You should get over to Mt. Tam more often .
Tree cover = limited visibility. ("The view is the trees.") No tree cover = view of surrounding mountains, cities, etc. ("I can see for miles and miles...") I tend to think of being in the trees as boring and the real fun begins when you get above them. But then I live in Seattle, it's a rainforest around here, they say "you've seen 100,000 Doug firs, you've seen them all."
Old 06-22-18, 05:41 PM
Boerd

Butyl tubes have higher blowout temperatures than the temperature of glue to melt. I’ve read about plenty of tubular rolling after the glue melts or straight blowouts. If I remember correctly butyl is around 350 latex 200-240 and the glue - well it depends, but lower than butyl. In the pro tour you can hear of melting glue and when the glue is gone usually the valve is cut due to side pressure resulting in blowouts

Last edited by Boerd; 06-22-18 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 07:11 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Tubulars melting glue. Blowing out clinchers. Melting carbon rims. I have never ridden Mt Diablo but in the weekend the roadside must be littered with broken wheels/ bikes, and riders.
I suggest you change the spec of the bike you have ordered to disc brakes and fit 203mm vented rotors with 4 piston callipers.
Old 06-22-18, 10:40 PM
Boerd

Originally Posted by Dean V
Tubulars melting glue. Blowing out clinchers. Melting carbon rims. I have never ridden Mt Diablo butin the weekend the roadside must be littered with broken wheels/ bikes, and riders.
I suggest you change the spec of the bike you have ordered to disc brakes and fit 203mm vented rotors with 4 piston callipers.
It's like that every day (not only weekend)! People wear bomb-squad type suits and before descending from the top you have to show your signed (and legalized) will to the guy at the kiosk (clearly state who gets the front wheel, rear wheel, the frame, etc.)
Old 06-23-18, 11:21 AM
Seattle Forrest

The worst kinds of anxieties - the hardest ones to shake - are the ones that start with a grain of truth. No one ever goes hiking and worries about being mauled by a cow. Everybody is worried about bears. People ride bikes up and down mountains all the time, but people do blow tires out occasionally and whatnot.
Old 06-23-18, 12:25 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The worst kinds of anxieties - the hardest ones to shake - are the ones that start with a grain of truth. No one ever goes hiking and worries about being mauled by a cow. Everybody is worried about bears. People ride bikes up and down mountains all the time, but people do blow tires out occasionally and whatnot.
What surprised me was a recent thread that got onto the topic of high speed flats and resulting crashes. A number of high mileage riders experienced it firsthand.

If you do a lot of riding, it's something to consider.

​​​​​​
Old 06-23-18, 12:45 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Why not tubeless clinchers?
Old 06-23-18, 01:24 PM
Boerd

Well worded! Just for kicks - another thing that can happen on Mt Diablo is to run over a snake in the spring! Twice I was inch close to it while descending . I imagine you can sleep on it and fall - maybe even get bitten if it is a poisonous one. TBH - the only ones I saw were the garden type snakes.

Last edited by Boerd; 06-23-18 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-23-18, 01:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

@Boerd

I saw a snake yesterday morning, in the dock at a floating cabin. Probably looking for frogs. I "ran into" a rattler on a ride a few years ago, the road went gravel and sort of vanished in this wet grassland, I was doing ok on 28 mm tires until it got too muddy to roll. Stepped off the bike, started pushing, just as it dries up, I heard a rattle. It's amazing how you can react before you have any idea what you're reacting to, I leapt back away from it immediately. It wasn't interested in biting though, just working on its tan and being left alone.

Couple weeks ago I took my gravel bike up a gated double track road and a yearling bear ambled across the road ~25 feet in front of me. It looked happy and lumbering until it saw me, then obviously startled and ran from me.
Old 06-23-18, 01:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
I'm riding tubeless clinchers, nominal 28 mm on wide rims that stretch them out to 33 mm. So I'm running them at low pressure, like 60 psi, a little higher if I'm not going to leave the pavement. My last tire went 1,200 miles without a flat, until a cut literally destroyed the tire. I've ridden over plenty of broken glass. At low pressure, the sealant protects you from small punctures.

But I think we're talking about skinny 23 or 25 mm tires here. At higher pressure, the sealant is going to get pushed out until the tire is too soft to ride.

There's some drawback to tubeless, like a really limited selection of (mostly more expensive) tires, which are a ***** to seat. The skinnier your tires get, the less you get back in exchange.
Old 06-23-18, 01:40 PM
Boerd

Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
That IS an option. At 90 PSI the boiling temperature for water is around 160C which is around 320F - that is pretty high. This means the solution inside will do just fine up to the most extreme, and at that point you're in trouble anyway. The water / latex based liquid will also increase volume a lot less than the air it displaces - another good thing.
If I get the Mavics I think I'll run them tubeless.
As @Seattle Forrest pointed out you trade tire selection and possible tire quality - no more Conti 4000 II s in that case.

Last edited by Boerd; 06-23-18 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-23-18, 01:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

If you go tubeless, get Pro Ones, or IRC RBCC. (Tires.)
Old 06-23-18, 02:07 PM
Boerd

If you go tubeless, get Pro Ones, or IRC RBCC. (Tires.)
While those tires seem very good, I heard horror stories about the degree of difficulty to mount them on this specific Mavic wheel. I might be tempted to stick with Mavic Yksion Pro as they now make them in France (no more Taiwan) and the compound got very good reviews. The only drawback I heard of is short lifespan - they wear out easily. I'm willing to replace them at a higher frequency (and obviously higher cost).
Old 06-23-18, 03:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Yeah, they're a pain. But that guarantees a tight seal, no air leaking out during aggressive corners, etc.
Old 06-25-18, 12:34 PM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have the Pro Carbon UST. The brake track is one of the best parts about the wheel. The braking is very strong and predicable. I would wager they brake as good as alloy in both wet and dry conditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.