Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First puncture on a tubeless tire

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First puncture on a tubeless tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-18, 11:26 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just out a standard inner tube patch on inside of tire. Mines worked for hundreds of kms
Old 06-23-18, 05:22 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
dont fear tubeless. check the puncture to make sure what punctured the tire is not still in the tire. if the sealant seals the hole keep riding, if it appears to be a larger hole and you will worry the spokes off the bike, remove tire and install a tubeless patch kit. a tubeless patch kit with flexible adhesive will outlast the tire. If you lbs will not remove tire and install tubeless patch I would wonder about their capabilities or motives, but you should know how to remove and repair a tire.

I just posted on another thread about a rash of flats I've had on road and gravel tires and am going to try a different sealant that may work better on tires with higher pressure than mtb tires. switching from stans to orange seal

I also purchased a dynaplug kit to plug tires on the road if puncture is larger than sealant can deal with.

I love schwalbe pro-ones, they are fast and nimble, but you pay a price initially and with durability, imo
Old 06-25-18, 12:40 PM
ItsMeDave

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by superpletch
dont fear tubeless. check the puncture to make sure what punctured the tire is not still in the tire. if the sealant seals the hole keep riding, if it appears to be a larger hole and you will worry the spokes off the bike, remove tire and install a tubeless patch kit. a tubeless patch kit with flexible adhesive will outlast the tire. If you lbs will not remove tire and install tubeless patch I would wonder about their capabilities or motives, but you should know how to remove and repair a tire.
I just posted on another thread about a rash of flats I've had on road and gravel tires and am going to try a different sealant that may work better on tires with higher pressure than mtb tires. switching from stans to orange seal
I also purchased a dynaplug kit to plug tires on the road if puncture is larger than sealant can deal with.
I love schwalbe pro-ones, they are fast and nimble, but you pay a price initially and with durability, imo
superbletch, I've got more experience changing tires than I care to admit.

I managed to overcome my tubeless fear and squeezed in a couple rides over the weekend, I didn't even top-up the sealant, but I do need to get around to that.
I need to get on the ball and order some replacement tires, I don't want to get caught short and have to resort to whatever my LBS has in stock.
Old 06-25-18, 01:02 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsMeDave
superbletch, I've got more experience changing tires than I care to admit.

I managed to overcome my tubeless fear and squeezed in a couple rides over the weekend, I didn't even top-up the sealant, but I do need to get around to that.
I need to get on the ball and order some replacement tires, I don't want to get caught short and have to resort to whatever my LBS has in stock.
I got a phenomenal deal on the new Schwalbe Pro One S TL Easy's through Merlin a couple months ago, bought a couple of sets for something like $45ea. They went on very easily but did require a shot with a compressor to seat the first time. So far they roll beautifully and durability has been good for the first 900 miles.
Old 06-25-18, 03:05 PM
ItsMeDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robbyville
I got a phenomenal deal on the new Schwalbe Pro One S TL Easy's through Merlin a couple months ago, bought a couple of sets for something like $45ea. They went on very easily but did require a shot with a compressor to seat the first time. So far they roll beautifully and durability has been good for the first 900 miles.
Recently I was stopped at a traffic light and noticed Pro One's on the bike next to me, I asked the cyclist what he thought of 'em, his response was derogatory.
His comments were the opposite of everything I've heard about the tire.
I wasn't certain how to process his info, he didn't look super fit and his bike not very fleet.

I've got three tires in mind:
  1. Continental Grand Prix 4000
  2. Schwalbe Pro One S TL Easy
  3. Vittoria Rubino Pro G+
I guess I'm looking for two tires, one for endurance and one for performance.
I need to order soon.
Old 06-25-18, 03:08 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Recently I was stopped at a traffic light and noticed Pro One's on the bike next to me, I asked the cyclist what he thought of 'em, his response was derogatory.
I wasn't certain how to process his info, he didn't look super fit and his bike not very fleet.

I need to order soon.
If you can fit 30mm tires, add G-One Speeds to the list, buy them and then forget about everything else.
Old 06-25-18, 06:11 PM
robbyville

I’ll be the sole naysayer on the GP4’s, when I was running clinchers I tried a couple incarnations of them and never got what people liked about them. They didn’t last long and jacked up as easily as the rest. I did really like the S Works Turbo in clincher format though.

for tubeless also look at the Bontrager R3 it worked very well for me too.
Old 06-25-18, 06:39 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I need to order soon.

nothing beats schwalbe pro ones for performance. if anyone can attest to a good endurance road tubeless in 700x25c please share.
Old 06-25-18, 10:32 PM
robbyville

nothing beats schwalbe pro ones for performance. if anyone can attest to a good endurance road tubeless in 700x25c please share.
from an endurance standpoint, the Hutchison Fusions did very well for me. At the same time that was probably the first tire that made me realize that maybe I could tell the difference from one to another. Felt sluggish, heavy, and brutal hated them
Old 06-25-18, 10:40 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Maxxis Padrone TR. Though I would never categorize the Padrone nor the Pro ONE as "endurance" tires. They're race tires, plain and simple. I lost both Padrones to glass cuts, just like I lost every Schwalbe to glass cuts. Yeah they're fast. Yeah, they roll great. But they are both "one and done" tires.

I'm sticking to Gavia AC1s for the foreseeable future-- they last 3-5X as long as the others, cost half as much, and I can buy them at the LBS any day of the week.
Old 06-25-18, 10:53 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Maxxis Padrone TR. Though I would never categorize the Padrone nor the Pro ONE as "endurance" tires. They're race tires, plain and simple. I lost both Padrones to glass cuts, just like I lost every Schwalbe to glass cuts. Yeah they're fast. Yeah, they roll great. But they are both "one and done" tires.

I'm sticking to Gavia AC1s for the foreseeable future-- they last 3-5X as long as the others, cost half as much, and I can buy them at the LBS any day of the week.
havent seen them but will definitely check them out thanks!
Old 06-25-18, 11:03 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I've used gorilla tape on the inside of tubed and tubeless tires to fix various slices with great results. I have a few rounds on my frame pump handle just in case. Obviously with tubeless that would require a bead breaking and reseat so I'll tube it if I have to to get home. I now carry a tubeless plug kit but haven't had to use it yet luckily. 60 is about my max pressure I run, can't speak for above that.
Old 06-27-18, 07:51 AM
ItsMeDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went with the Schwalbe G-One Speed TL-Easy, 30mm, and a bottle of Orange Seal.
Old 06-27-18, 09:59 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I went with the Schwalbe G-One Speed TL-Easy, 30mm, and a bottle of Orange Seal.
Maybe you said it, but I missed it . . . how big was the hole in your tire? Was it in the tread or the sidewall?

Thanks,
Old 06-27-18, 10:28 AM
ItsMeDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Maybe you said it, but I missed it . . . how big was the hole in your tire? Was it in the tread or the sidewall?
Thanks,
It was in the tread, and I guess, smaller than I thought.
I'm still running the tire, and still haven't topped up the sealant.
Old 06-27-18, 10:30 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
It was in the tread, and I guess, smaller than I thought.
I'm still running the tire, and still haven't topped up the sealant.
Are we talking 1/2" 1/4"? 1mm? A pinhole? I'm just trying to get a feel for the context of the discussion.
Old 06-27-18, 12:18 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I’ll be the sole naysayer on the GP4’s, when I was running clinchers I tried a couple incarnations of them and never got what people liked about them. They didn’t last long and jacked up as easily as the rest.
It's weird how some people have such poor experiences with them; over in the tri world they're the default for 90% of people. Mine are great for as long as I care to run them, and I hardly ever flat. (Knocking on wood formica.)
Old 06-27-18, 12:28 PM
ItsMeDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Are we talking 1/2" 1/4"? 1mm? A pinhole? I'm just trying to get a feel for the context of the discussion.
Does it matter? I overreacted because air was escaping from my tire, and I hadn't ridden in a couple days. With my zero experience with tubeless tires, my knee jerk reaction was to assume that the hole was too big for the sealant to handle.
I was made to understand that the puncture probably happened at the end of the ride, which didn't allow the sealant to reach the hole.
I've since pumped up the tire and gone cycling.
All is well in the world. :-)
Old 06-27-18, 12:46 PM
robbyville

Does it matter? I overreacted because air was escaping from my tire, and I hadn't ridden in a couple days. With my zero experience with tubeless tires, my knee jerk reaction was to assume that the hole was too big for the sealant to handle.
I was made to understand that the puncture probably happened at the end of the ride, which didn't allow the sealant to reach the hole.
I've since pumped up the tire and gone cycling.
All is well in the world. :-)
Indeed it is! Now you can start to enjoy some of the advantages that Tubeless offers (IMO), and go ride the Sea to Sky!
Old 06-27-18, 03:34 PM
ItsMeDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Indeed it is! Now you can start to enjoy some of the advantages that Tubeless offers (IMO), and go ride the Sea to Sky!
I live in the West End, one of my favorite rides is out to Britannia Beach and back. :-)

My last spin out was in May
Old 06-27-18, 04:38 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I hope they serve you as well as they have served me!
Old 06-27-18, 05:39 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
It's weird how some people have such poor experiences with them; over in the tri world they're the default for 90% of people. Mine are great for as long as I care to run them, and I hardly ever flat. (Knocking on wood formica.)
I vaguely recall reading some threads a while back that seemed to indicate there were a couple bad production runs, given the widespread popularity of them a lot of people probably got some of the bad ones.
Old 06-27-18, 07:09 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Sealant wise I have switched almost everything to Orange Endurance. It tends to last longer in the tire and there is glitter and stuff in there that tends to work better on cuts than most other sealants.

I've seen a lot of holes that sealant can't fix. Meh.

Around here there is little to no reason to ride tubeless. Flats are an anomaly under tube usage alone.

You've illustrated something (at least initially in your post) that I have had a hard time getting across to riders debating tubeless. I tend to tell them this story:

We decided to go on a ride. 1 rider was on cross tubulars. I was on clincher - tubes. third rider was on tubeless with well known tubeless gravel tires. They were humoring me and dragging me along on the ride. At one point the tubeless rider was riding second wheel and I was last. I start to get sprayed in the face with sealant. I tell him he sprung a leak. He rides for a while but the tire gets super soft. We stop. He puts his CO2 in the tire. Spins it. Won't seal up. Rides it for a bit. Asks every 3 seconds if it was going soft. It does. He stops again. Puts another CO2 in. spends the rest of the ride debating whether or not his tire is holding air. Can't get it out of his head. We stopped multiple times. He threw in 2 of his canisters and one of mine. End of ride he was low pressure again. As I pulled his tire and filled it with sealant and re-seat it and sealed it up I mentioned that if he was on tubes it would have taken about 2 minutes and we would have been on our way and wouldn't have thought of this ever again.

Tubular guy never has a problem. I never have a problem. Tubeless guy always seems to have a problem.

Like I have said before - doesn't matter. The tech is getting shoved down our throats - like disc brakes. The issue isn't "well...you have to do it right" - the issue is that the vast majority of customers that come in on a daily basis have no frigging idea what tubeless even means. Half the time they think it's insane that they have to air up their tires ever. "You guys did a tuneup last year and I haven't even ridden the bike! The tires are flat!". Tubeless will NEVER become ubiquitous.

All you flat prone people living in flat prone places go ahead and go that route. Keep in mind you do need to check your sealant often. According to the Stans training we went through they recommend every 3 months. I've got tubes I haven't touched in 5-10 years except to air them up. It's really pointless if you step back and look at it. It can be a tremendous hassle for most that use it, cost way more money in the long run (change and add sealant - stuff isn't free, valves - getting more expensive every day, Tires - almost always more expensive).

Cite all of the mtb examples you want - this isn't mtb. the tires have way too little air volume and the pressures are way too high. Again - Stans admits it's a completely different animal. The rim and tire design is way more important.

Just remember - tube: fixed in a couple of minutes and forgotten about. If you're like me and flat maybe once every 3 years or so.... Tubeless: how much time have you already wasted on it?

but whatever...."progress" marches on. I guess I'm a luddite now.

Old 06-27-18, 07:21 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Do you just copy-paste that whole diatribe now? I've seen it enough times it's starting to feel like a well-worn episode of an almost forgotten sitcom.

I live in the goathead and bottle glass capital of the world. The roads are also terrible. On tubes, I was averaging a flat every 200 miles. That's a flat a week. Just for me. Before converting her to tubeless, my wife (who has far fewer opportunities to ride) was getting a flat every other ride.

I maintain 4 sets of tubeless wheels/tires, and use right around $25 in sealant per year. I will agree that if you don't suffer from puncture flats where you live, tubeless won't gain you much. But if you do, it's worth the time and effort.

"Tubeless will NEVER become ubiquitous," he says. Automobiles haven't had tubes in their tires in over 60 years. Why must the bicycle remain an anachronism?
Old 06-27-18, 07:26 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Neat. I'll see your anecdotal evidence and raise you my personal experience: roughly 6000 miles on my gravel bike since I went tubeless, including two dirty kanzas and several 100± mile races, and one puncture that sealed immediately and zero incidents that required a tube, plug, or boot.

I'd guess 80-90% of racers in those events are tubeless, pretty sure it's not because marketing has been shoved down their throats. I like it because I have less flats than I did with tubes because there's no way to pinch flat, and I can run lower pressure.

But that's just for gravel. This is in the road cycling forum, and I'd never bother with tubeless on road. Flats just aren't that big a deal for me on pavement and tubeless road setups seem to have more problems.

If you don't want to run tubeless that's fine but don't act like you're intellectually superior because of it.

​​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.