Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best hybrid bike for a newbie?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 04:02 PM
TusconRoad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
I am new to cycling (have only done recreational weeklong cycling trips while on vacation at 30miles/day). I've enjoyed these trips and am now considering commuting to work by bike ~3 miles each way, flat terrain. I'm looking at these 3 used options:
1) $150, Jamis Citizen 1 hybrid bike
2) $150, Giant Sedona step thru hybrid (14'' frame)
3) $150, Specialized women's small framed hybrid (unclear model) Gears: 21 speed, Wheels: 700
Per sellers, all are in good to excellent condition with no tune-up required. Any suggestions on which bike is best suited for short commutes and possibly recreational weekend riding?
Thanks!
Old 06-22-18, 05:30 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
If I were you with a relatively limited budget I'd probably consider a Walmart bike ... there's a whole thread dedicated to how good they are here

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...her-s-day.html
Old 06-22-18, 06:02 PM
TusconRoad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Witterings. Most ppl on that thread and on other threads on these forums discourage buying from big box retailers. I thought buying a used decent bike would be a good starter to see if cycling is for me. Are these used bikes not a good-bang-for-buck? My other option is buying new. I'm looking at a Cannondale Quick 7 for $500 but since I'm fairly non-committal, I thought a used between $100-200 to start with would be good.
Old 06-22-18, 06:31 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Any of the 3 bikes could work. Which one would fit you best?
Old 06-22-18, 06:51 PM
TusconRoad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Katsup. I'm not sure. Do you mean in terms of size? I'm 5'2 so all are small bikes and work. In terms of everything else, I'm not sure. I've spent 2 days reading this forum and various guides, and I think a hybrid with suspension for comfort would fit my needs best. I made a list of good starter bikes (Cannondale Quick, Giant Roam/Escape, Specialized Sirrus, Alight 3) then I read a suggestion to buy used. Since detailed bike specs are not very meaningful to me at this time without a lot of cycling experience and kind of overwhelming (e.g. hydraulic brakes?, 21 speed?, etc), I thought I'd start with a used bike and see what actually matters to me. Hope this makes sense. I have amassed a whole lot of info that doesn't actually mean very much to me because of my limited experience. Every cycling trip I've taken, I've been handed a bike for the week. Hence, me looking at used bikes although I have the budget to buy a nicer bike.
Old 06-22-18, 07:10 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
What type of riding do you plan to be on? Pavement, dirt trails, grass, etc...? Small size will likely fit you, but you may have to go out and ride a few bikes to learn your preferred fit. Some hybrids are more upright while others are more aggressive.

When it comes to hybrids, I tend to stay away from the cheap suspension that it comes with. This is from experience of having two hybrids with it and thinking I needed it for the rough roads around here.. There are some people that like it though.
Old 06-22-18, 07:51 PM
Piperflyer

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome to the world of cycling! It will suck you right on in! Now to help answer some of your stuff. The Sedona is a good starter bike. I know you mentioned about the thought of a front suspension bike. Have you rode something like a Liv Alight 3? Those can be bought new for under $400 you could also call the shops since 2019 models are coming out and might get one cheaper. Worth a shot! Just need to call around to different dealers. Also get out and test ride a few.. i have a non suspension bike CoMax anyroad, you would be surprised on how smooth a bike is with out the heavy suspension stuff. Now i ride on the street, bike paths, gravel and dirt roads and haven’t had any issues. The less weight will help if you do come to any little hills plus less things to maintain.

Use your LBS to get fitted, test ride a few to see what type of bike suites your best. Some people say more upright hurts backs vs a more aggressive geometry and vise versa. Keep checking FB marketplace and craigslist for a few weeks you may find that bike you want used cheaper than new. There is a bike blue book website you can go to so you may get an idea how much a particular bike might go for in used condition and may aid in bringing down a buyers price some

going 30 miles per day is a very good start! So be proud of that, it sounds like you like cycling enough already. One advice someone gave me is. Don’t buy a bike you plan on replacing. A bike that you just aren’t 100% proud of or satisfied with might not get rode as much since everytime you are out you may be telling yourself i wish i had this or that. At 30 miles a day you are in the game already

dont get caught up in this bike has 18 speed vs 21 vs 30. Most of those “ extra” gears might be for better hill pulling and sounds like you will be running mostly flat. 2 x 8 should be plenty to get you going.
Old 06-22-18, 10:42 PM
TusconRoad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you both for the helpful advice! Piperflyer, I'm going to take your advice and get a new ride as I think I'll be happiest with it. Will definitely check out the Liv Alight 3.
Old 06-23-18, 08:45 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
ride all 3, buy the one that feels the best to you.
Old 06-23-18, 11:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Professional Bike Shops answer many questions , asked there
and can offer test rides of new bikes and give you estimates on how much it may cost
to get your used bargains up to functional shape,
which really cannot be done for you sight unseen over the internet.
Old 06-24-18, 12:52 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts

+1
Test ride each .
of the 3 you’ll have one “you” like the best
...feel, fit, looks & features...
Old 06-24-18, 06:34 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Personally, I've always felt that hybrids were a concept that tried to be the best of both worlds, but ended up being the worst of them. (but admittedly, I haven't looked closely at them in years, so maybe that genre has improved.)
Whenever I wanted a solid bike for cruising roads, but something more robust than a standard road bike, I always got a mountain bike and simply outfitted it with road slicks. There are numerous advantages to this: First, it's generally easier to find a decent used mtn bike than a hybrid. Second, a mtn bike has more market appeal and will be an easier re-sale, should you want to get rid of it and move up. Also, a mtn bike's geometry makes it more user-freindly (versus a traditional road-style bike) for dodging vehicles,hopping curbs, hitting potholes, etc, and they're more well suited to taking off down a dirt road or trail if you wanted to, even with road tires on it.
So that's my advice, try to find a decent,low miles mtn bike, then slap on some cheap 1.75" city tires from nashbar or performance, and call it a day.
Of those bikes listed in the OP, I would first look up their original retail price, to find out if any of them are actually a "deal", or of the seller is trying to break even, at your expense. The set up a meet and look at them closely to determine which one has been the most well maintained and seems to have seen the least use, and is least likely to need a hub rebuild or new chain/cassette. Check the wheels closely for being out of true, and check every spoke for a broken one.
Take a multi-tool with you so you can adjust the seat height before test riding, and a tire pump might not be a bad idea,as well.
Old 06-24-18, 02:38 PM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
My wife has the Giant Sedona and has had it for about 12 years now. Very good bike and held up nicely. She does casual rides but getting her to do some longer rides. Did a 10 mile ride this morning with no issues. The seat is a little worn but everything else is good. She enjoys it quite a bit.
Old 06-24-18, 02:48 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
At that price point, they all (likely, pending comfirmation of Specialized model) have the same level of drivetrain. As others have said, ride them and pick the one that feels best.

Make sure you do a through inspection. Make sure the bike shifts smooth and Precise, the brakes stop the bike, that the pads aren't rock hard, and that tires look in good shape.