Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Alternative to isopropyl for cleaning disc brakes and pads?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Alternative to isopropyl for cleaning disc brakes and pads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-20, 04:58 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
From a medical standpoint, yes. But from a non medical use point, no. Anhydrous 2-propanol will form peroxides on exposure to air, oxygen and time. If you were to distill the 2-propanol for some reason, there is the possibility of the peroxide’s concentrating and self-detonating but the chemical would have had to have lots and lots of time to form the peroxides in addition to you being dumb enough to try to distill it. And that’s not evaporating it but actively heating it to boiling.

If you see crystals around the neck of a bottle of anhydrous, that might be cause for concern but short of that just use it. However, adding a little water will interrupt the peroxide formation so diluting it to 90% would solve much of the problem.
cool, thanks.. Sounds like if instead this was a completely unopened bottle then the expiration date would really be bogus.
Old 04-11-20, 02:15 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 238 Posts
Generally it is not advised to clean pads or rotors unless they have become contaminated, or to clean the rotors when changing to a different pad material. Because pads are porous, usually attempts to clean them when they're seriously contaminated fail and in most cases its best to replace them off the bat. If they are very slightly and recently contaminated sand paper may help. For rotors that are contaminated, dish detergent works well if its rinsed well with plain water. For very heavy contamination I will also sometimes sand the rotors with fine grit sandpaper.
Old 04-11-20, 10:09 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
cool, thanks.. Sounds like if instead this was a completely unopened bottle then the expiration date would really be bogus.
Some chemicals degrade spontaneously over time. Isopropyl alcohol is not one of them AFAIK.
Old 04-11-20, 03:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4445 Post(s)
Liked 4,102 Times in 2,738 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
And, finally, DO USE GASOLINE FOR EVERYTHING ALWAYS!
I clean and lube everything with gasoline and so long as I hold my cigarette off to the side I rarely set anything on fire so I would 100% agree with you use Gasoline all the time in everything you do.

On a serious note, don't actually use gasoline I may not always agree with @cyccommute but on this one keep the gasoline for your car or other IC engine
Me personally if I was out of isopropyl I would probably use something like Everclear or another neutral spirit like that. Cheap vodka could work as well but if my brakes are especially dirty I might clean and degrease them first and then do a final touch up with alcohol. I don't tend to drink often and when I do it wouldn't be alcohol like Vodka or Gin or anything like that.
Old 04-11-20, 03:37 PM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Denatured alcohol works as well as isopropyl alcohol, and doesn't contain anywhere near as much water.
I use this as well.
Old 04-15-20, 05:58 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
The pandemic has caused a real run on alcohols, making them harder to get, short term.
even some distillers of fine spirits are shifting to disinfecting blends. sigh .
I worked a burn unit for years where the uncommon consequences of the possible were a daily event.
Wear your mind's safety goggles and be amazed at what you see
Look at the trouble folks are having with the coronavirus, where the control of epidemics was worked out before Pasteur 150 years ago,
Stay safe

Last edited by bikebikebike; 04-17-20 at 05:30 AM.