Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2019 Randonnees

Old 04-07-19, 07:26 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got my first 200km in 2019 done. We were really lucky with the weather and didn't have any strong winds, nor rain. It was 1C at the start and 5C by lunch... climbed up to 9C at one point and dropped back down to 4C by the time we got to the shores of Lake Huron... there was still a good ice wall in spots on the shore. It was quick riding along the beach towns without the summer traffic and crowds, but the last two controls were closed so we had to stop somewhere else to get some extra fuel for the last stretch. 10:38 final time with a good two hour lunch in the middle... got a 300 for next week that is pancake flat and hopefully we get lucky with the weather again.
Old 04-08-19, 05:38 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My local audax club is starting to do Permanents this year, though at this point I'm not really feeling keen on them.

The first permanent is a 100km at the end of the month. The locations are all familiar to me, just a different route, so that might be interesting. Still, to me the distance feels like any other ordinary weekend morning group ride so I don't really feel like it's anything I should specially set aside plans for.

The next permanent is weird... 140km, and it isn't a loop. The plan, apparently, is to check into a hotel at the end of the ride and either take a bus back the next day or ride back on our own so... that's weird. I dunno, how common is this for the rest of you?
Old 04-08-19, 07:49 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 200k route where I am planning to ride back the next day. I didn't manage to design a second return route yet, it's somewhat remote and there aren't a lot of places to resupply. But riding the outbound route seems like it would be okay. I could also extend the same route to almost 300k, not sure about doing that. There is a route that the locals have been riding for decades that is 160km where they ride to a remote town, stay overnight, and then ride back.

It might be fun to ride something like that, but I did it because I'm trying to ride 10000km in brevets and permanents this year. Not sure I will ride it otherwise.
Old 04-13-19, 03:04 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Three out of four PBP qualifiers done -- I went down to the Central Florida brevet week. Hot, flat, and did I mention hot? (The 600k is still going on, but I was completely trashed at the end of the 400k and less than 24 hours of recovery time was not going to be enough, physically OR mentally. And yes, I said before I was considering skipping the 400k, but it was the prettiest-looking route. Which it was, even if I was grumbling about being tired of riding a bike for most of it.)

Glad I went for it, even if I didn't finish all of them; 900k in four days is a confidence booster, and I got to practice disassembling and reassembling the brevet bike. (With only one minor issue -- I didn't tighten the front brake bolt quite enough, and did about 20 miles of the 200k with it rubbing after a section of rough chipseal jolted it out of alignment.)

As much as I am not a strong climber, I found myself welcoming even little rollers; putting out steady effort when tired is HARD; grunting up a climb and then coasting for a few minutes is easier in a lot of ways; I found myself gearing up, standing, and then tucking-and-coasting still on
the same flat ground occasionally, just for a change of pace.

Signed myself up for the New Jersey 600k; was hoping not to have to miss the NER 400k (same weekend) but there are only so many 600ks I can drive to, and a bunch of friends are going to this one. It will probably be even hotter than Florida-in-April, but I've determined I can survive that, especially when gas stations serve giant slurpees. And the next brevet on my calendar is the NER 300k, which is both gorgeous and possibly has more climbing than all 900k I did down here.
Old 04-13-19, 11:07 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the 3 brevets, devils weeks are tough to do.

I finished my 300k today, probably the flattest 300 in Ontario, my gps said 434m climbing so just a little bit over a 1000 feet or whatever it works out to. Lots of tailwind today so we did a pretty good time but I miss the rolling hills. Looking st doing the Saratoga 400k it looks like a lot of hills and the Adirondack mountains are so beautiful.
Old 04-15-19, 06:26 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Completed another 400k over the weekend. For a completely different change of pace, we had a relatively low turnout of 64 registered participants. On the other hand, it was a nice scenic route through low traffic countryside roads (except for the a few main roads connecting towns). Hot weather as usual, and always at the worst time (i.e. during the big climb), but at least the scenery was great. Due to the low participation count, I found myself riding all alone for a large portion of the ride; there were entire sections where I never saw anyone else, just me and passing traffic (and after the second checkpoint, just me and the darkness). My ride video here is a little bit shorter than usual, because there was a lot of night riding where there would be nothing interesting to capture on camera anyway.

Highlight of the ride, reward for making the climb under the afternoon sun (screen grab from the 4K video of my GoPro, with some retouching):

Also, I guess I'm different from @antimonysarah in the sense that I prefer the flatter roads over rollers when I am tired. I find that I can drop down to very light gears like 36/14 and keep spinning at 85-95rpm, whereas hilly roads just get annoying grinding 8km/h and below, and then to find out that there's a whole lot more of those after the crest. My only issue with the flat roads is that they can be mentally taxing. Counting down the KMs on a long, 30km stretch of road to the next turn, and then after that turn it's another long flat stretch to the next turn, and so on... but I guess it's a "pick your poison" kind of torture? Either suffer multiple hills or suffer multiple long stretches of flats...

At the start of next month is a very flat 300k... haven't decided if I want to join that one yet. It's a 3-hour long drive to the starting point so... ugh...

Last edited by atwl77; 04-15-19 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-15-19, 06:51 AM
antimonysarah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77 View Post
Also, I guess I'm different from @antimonysarah in the sense that I prefer the flatter roads over rollers when I am tired.
I was surprised at my reaction Our local rides are all at least rolling hills the whole way, so I'd never been coming in on long, straight, flat roads in the night. It was definitely more mental than physical exhaustion; every time I'd finally get to a turn and realize I had 10 straight miles on the next road too I felt like I was getting further, not closer, to the end.
Old 04-15-19, 08:59 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of flat, the NJ Randonneuring season started last weekend 4/6/19 with the 'Batsto 200' (https://www.njrandonneurs.org/batsto-200k.html). 70 riders.

My photos (https://flic.kr/s/aHsmCtqFTK) don't stand up well to what other forum members have posted (see @atwl77 above), but here's one...

I rode an old Bottecchia racing bike now converted to a 650b fixie randonneuring bike. This was its longest ride to date. I've done a few hilly 200k's on fixed gear before, but this was the first really flat one. By the end of the ride, I really really wanted to be off the bike. Just coasting for a little while would have been a great relief. I had been thinking I'd ride the whole NJ "flat series" on the fixie, but I'm having second thoughts about that. The whole time I was on the bike it was a constant effort, faster when there was a tail wind or a downhill, slower when there was a headwind or up hill, but the effort was constant and very tiring.

@antimonysarah, ! And you're doing the East Creek 600? I'll see you there.

Last edited by rhm; 04-15-19 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-15-19, 01:12 PM
antimonysarah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

@antimonysarah, ! And you're doing the East Creek 600? I'll see you there.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, see you there. And to make this not a content-free post, some highlights of the Florida 400k:

Misty morning was nice and cool; I hung with the peloton for a while but eventually dropped off to eat and take pictures and ride my own ride.

Then it warmed up; really wanted a swim in the many lakes we passed.
Old 04-15-19, 07:16 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's very flat, you get to learn how well you like your saddle.

I finished the Eastern PA 400k this weekend. I went too hard on Tuesday's 100k, and that was a very bad idea before this ride which featured lots of hills and a stiff headwind. Like I always say, there's nothing like the second sunrise on a 400.