Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Oily Rags are a Fire Hazard

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-16, 06:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

A home near me burned recently and it came out that the ignition source was oily rags.

Many of us do our own maintenance but many people don't know that oily rags can ignite by themselves and should never be left laying around or in a pile.
In home structure fires (homes are defined as one- and two-family homes, apartments, and manufactured housing), the garage was the most common area of origin (20% of fires) and oily rags were the most common item first ignited (35%).
NFPA report - Spontaneous combustion or chemical reaction
Lay the rags flat to dry or drape them over a fence or garbage can outside. Do not pile them up or just toss them in the garbage can. After they are dry, put them in an old paint can full of water and dish soap and seal tightly.

Hope you all have a safe holiday season.

-Tim-
Old 11-25-16, 08:24 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

[good info for wrenchers]
Old 11-26-16, 08:44 AM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Burning them in the paint can is easiest.
Old 11-26-16, 12:27 PM
tgmcmonigle

Bikes: 2017 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
A home near me burned recently and it came out that the ignition source was oily rags.

Many of us do our own maintenance but many people don't know that oily rags can ignite by themselves and should never be left laying around or in a pile.
In home structure fires (homes are defined as one- and two-family homes, apartments, and manufactured housing), the garage was the most common area of origin (20% of fires) and oily rags were the most common item first ignited (35%).
NFPA report - Spontaneous combustion or chemical reaction
Lay the rags flat to dry or drape them over a fence or garbage can outside. Do not pile them up or just toss them in the garbage can. After they are dry, put them in an old paint can full of water and dish soap and seal tightly.

Hope you all have a safe holiday season.

-Tim-
As a 30 year firefighter, I feel compelled to point out the the passage quoted above is only applicable on the context of "Fires Caused by Spontaneous Combustion or Chemical Reaction". The greatest percentage of home structure fires (46%) is caused by cooking equipment.

Anecdotally, I can assure you that the statistic bears out at the street level.

Cooking equipment was the leading cause of home structure fires and home fire injuries and ties with heating as the second leading cause of home fire deaths.
Smoking was the leading cause of civilian home fire deaths. Heating equipment was the second most common cause of home fires, fire deaths, (tied with cooking), and fire injuries.

NFPA Report - "Home Structure Fires"

Your point is still very relevant and should be a concern for anyone doing his own wrenching, I just wanted to clarify the context of the data.
Old 11-26-16, 02:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by tgmcmonigle
As a 30 year firefighter, I feel compelled to point out the the passage quoted above is only applicable on the context of "Fires Caused by Spontaneous Combustion or Chemical Reaction". The greatest percentage of home structure fires (46%) is caused by cooking equipment.

Anecdotally, I can assure you that the statistic bears out at the street level.

Cooking equipment was the leading cause of home structure fires and home fire injuries and ties with heating as the second leading cause of home fire deaths.
Smoking was the leading cause of civilian home fire deaths. Heating equipment was the second most common cause of home fires, fire deaths, (tied with cooking), and fire injuries.

NFPA Report - "Home Structure Fires"

Your point is still very relevant and should be a concern for anyone doing his own wrenching, I just wanted to clarify the context of the data.
Thanks for this.
Old 11-26-16, 02:29 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by AristoNYC

[good info for wrenchers]
There Will Be Blood?
Old 11-26-16, 04:02 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
There Will Be Blood?
heck yes, great movie.
Old 11-26-16, 06:56 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by AristoNYC
heck yes, great movie.
I've seen it a bunch of times and the ending is an enigma.

"I'm finished." and then the violins...

But yes, a seriously good movie.

-Tim-
Old 11-26-16, 09:02 PM
Meathorse
Banned.

Bikes: 1998 GT Avalanche, Zunow Z-1, 1985/86 Gitane Professional, 1980 Raleigh Team, 1980 Apollo Gran Tour, 1937 Durkopp road racer

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2016 & ppl need to start oily rag danger threads. Jesus Christ newbs are the worst...
Old 11-27-16, 10:21 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I've seen it a bunch of times and the ending is an enigma.

"I'm finished." and then the violins...

But yes, a seriously good movie.

-Tim-

That movie has one of the best opening scenes in cinema history.

Then it get bogged down by the overacting unfocused narrative.

Then the ending finishes off the collapse.

Wanted to love it, but couldn't.
Old 11-27-16, 01:27 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
Yeah, might as well burn the stuff proactively and keep an eye on it, then you don't have to worry about "what-if".
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-27-16, 01:39 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
...dear @TimothyH:

There is great confusion about this oily rags spontaneously combusting business, and it comes up a lot here over the years.

AFAIK, there is no reason to worry about your mechanic rags, soaked in various lubricants (although you ought still to be very careful with the more combustible solvents). The oils in question are usually associated with painting...Linseed oil is the principle culprit, although some of the other organic seed oils will also spontaneously combust.

Anyway, I know you mean well, and I'm not here to pee on the parade. But the science of spontaneous combustion is quite interesting, from an accidental fire POV.

https://www.waltersforensic.com/artic.../vol1-no17.htm
Old 11-27-16, 01:41 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
...all you really have to do is hang them somewhere so they can dry with some air circulation to carry away the heat generated in the drying process. Generally, it is a poor idea from a fire safety standpoint to prevent fire by starting one you think you can control, if there is another workable option.
Old 11-27-16, 01:51 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Burning them is faster.
Old 11-27-16, 02:32 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...dear @TimothyH:

There is great confusion about this oily rags spontaneously combusting business, and it comes up a lot here over the years.

AFAIK, there is no reason to worry about your mechanic rags, soaked in various lubricants (although you ought still to be very careful with the more combustible solvents). The oils in question are usually associated with painting...Linseed oil is the principle culprit, although some of the other organic seed oils will also spontaneously combust.

Anyway, I know you mean well, and I'm not here to pee on the parade. But the science of spontaneous combustion is quite interesting, from an accidental fire POV.

https://www.waltersforensic.com/artic.../vol1-no17.htm

I never said I was worried.

People use some pretty wacky stuff on bikes such as Pledge furniture polish on frames.

Linseed oil soaked rags are one of the worst in terms of spontaneous combustion. I know some use this to build wheels.

I do a fair amount of work on cars and have a disposal can I got when a manufacturing facility I worked at went out of business.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 11-27-16 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-27-16, 04:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
good reminder

I try to give them a cursory rinse is a sudsy Dawn bucket and leave to dry somewhere, but also wash in the commercial laundromat when I can. reminds me the time I had some solvent on rags in my hatchback & tossed a cigarette out the window but it blew back onto them & they started smoldering. took a while for me to notice & pull over to extinguish them