Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy. 11 and Shimano 10 combination

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 11:47 AM
Error

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all ! (& sorry for my horrible English)

Well autumn is coming and rains with him, so i would like to prepare my bike for indoor trainer, atm I have full 11spd Athena group on bike.
Im looking options for a wheels, i need some cheep wheels (or at least rear wheel) ... well basically my question is can i use 9/10 spd shimano for that ?! what will be problem ?
or 11 spd shimano (e.g. new 105 because he is much cheaper than campy ? ).... any suggestion is welcome ...

tnx.

V.
Old 09-20-14, 12:44 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 241 Posts
You can use 11 speed Shimano cassettes on a compatible hub with your campy drivetrain. An inexpensive option might be a Mavic wheel like a Ksyrium--if you remove the special mavic spacer, you can run an 11 speed cassette even on wheels that predate Shimano 11 speed.
Old 09-20-14, 05:10 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked 1,754 Times in 1,018 Posts
Campagnolo compatible wheels are not necessarily more expensive than Shimano wheels. Actually, you might have to pay more for a Shimano 11 speed compatible wheel. An 11 speed wheel needs a longer cassette body, and Shimano only started making 105 hubs for 11 speed this year. Companies like Miche make lower priced wheels that are designed for Campagnolo cassettes. As already stated, Mavic wheels will accept an 11 speed Shimano cassette if you remove the spacer that you need to use with 8,9, or 10 speed cassettes. You can't use anything but an 11 speed cassette, whether it is Campagnolo, Shimano, or SRAM
Old 09-20-14, 06:40 AM
Fred Smedley

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Error
Hi all ! (& sorry for my horrible English)

Well autumn is coming and rains with him, so i would like to prepare my bike for indoor trainer, atm I have full 11spd Athena group on bike.
Im looking options for a wheels, i need some cheep wheels (or at least rear wheel) ... well basically my question is can i use 9/10 spd shimano for that ?! what will be problem ?
or 11 spd shimano (e.g. new 105 because he is much cheaper than campy ? ).... any suggestion is welcome ...

tnx.

V.
If you want to throw a Shimano RD on it 9 speed Shimano will index with Campy 11 ergo levers.
Old 09-20-14, 09:01 AM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fred Smedley
If you want to throw a Shimano RD on it 9 speed Shimano will index with Campy 11 ergo levers.
While mostly true, the OP is then limited to 9 speeds. Sticking with an 11 speed wheel is the best bet. There are complete Campy wheels with Miche hubs floating around the internet.

Not cheap, but not super expensive Handspun Miche (100087109) at CambriaBike.com
Old 09-20-14, 09:03 AM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fred Smedley
I fail to understand.

Disregarding that I don't know anything about Campy anything, I thought that a Shimano RD didn't really care if it was 9, 10 or 11 speed it was the shifter that controlled the movement amount and adjustment fine tuned the indexing. The RD just does what the shifter tells it to. Match shifter count to tooth count, the RD remains unconcerned.
Old 09-20-14, 01:10 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked 1,754 Times in 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
I fail to understand.

Disregarding that I don't know anything about Campy anything, I thought that a Shimano RD didn't really care if it was 9, 10 or 11 speed it was the shifter that controlled the movement amount and adjustment fine tuned the indexing. The RD just does what the shifter tells it to. Match shifter count to tooth count, the RD remains unconcerned.
While it is true that Shimano 8, 9, and 10 speed derailleurs all use the same cable pull ratio, 11 speeds is a whole different universe, Shimano had to revise cable pull ratios to be able to make 11 speeds work. This is very much like what happened when they went to 10 speeds for their mountain bike groups. As it happens, Campagnolo shifters pull more cable per shift than Shimano shifters with the same number of speeds so that Campagnolo shifters will work nicely with Shimano derailleurs on cassettes with 2 fewer cogs than the Campagnolo shifters are made for. So 10 speed Campy shifters will work nicely with a Shimano 8 speed cassette and derailleur, and so on. However, the OP has Campagnolo shifters and derailleurs, so what is needed is a wheel with an 11 speed cassette. There is no need to switch out the rear derailleur to work with a wheel with a 9 speed cassette
Old 09-20-14, 04:19 PM
Fred Smedley

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
I fail to understand.

Shift ratio is determined by two things, cable pull and derailuer geometry. Campy 11 and Shimano 9 shifters have essentially the same cable pull. That allows you to use most Shimano RD's with shimano hubs allowing cheap cassettes, chains
Old 09-20-14, 04:52 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
there are some low priced campagnolo wheel sets, you didn't mention how much you were going to spend on a shimano wheel.
Old 09-20-14, 07:15 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I see, thanks!!!!

I have not yet had an interest in 11 speed stuff. I'm one of those users of last years latest and greatest technology. It's generally more than I need or can gain any realistic benefit from.

And it costs less to play.