Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thick eyeglasses slippage

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-13-20, 12:02 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts

So, I am back to wearing thick heavy glasses soon.
My contact implant is causing complications, and doc wants to remove it. I have aleeadt lost some vision in one eye. my eyes are -9.0, so glasses are heavy.

I haven't worn glasses in over 5years. has there been any break thru in eye wear technology?

I remeber having a miserable time with glasses while bicycling...like sweat makes it impossible to keep the glasses on right, and my glasses were heavy.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 03-13-20 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-13-20, 05:42 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
Get polycarbonate lenses and wear a retention strap (croakies). Get used to your eyes watering a bit more unless you use safety glasses side protectors.

I recently bought some contacts again to see if my eyes water less with wraparound sunglasses.
Old 03-13-20, 07:14 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
With a -9.0 I'm guessing you already have the highest index polycarbonate lenses available, otherwise the lenses themselves would be heavy enough to use as weapons.

Croakies or similar will I think be mandatory.
Old 03-13-20, 07:25 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I have fairly lightweight glasses, and I chose to get a strap for my glasses when I ride. Mainly, if I take a spill and my glasses fly off my face, I'm pretty blind without them so it's going to be hard to find them. I know from experience from the time I was cleaning up some brush, and a stick flew up and flipped my glasses right off my face. I couldn't find them, and I was afraid to walk around looking for them. Due to my nearsightedness I likely would have stepped on them. Even after my wife got home, she couldn't find them either. I ended up getting a new pair, and eventually did find my old glasses out in the yard. Or rather, my dog did and apparently enjoyed chewing on them a bit.

So yeah, lesson learned. I wear a strap while riding. I normally wear it loose but they could easily be tightened up if I have a problem with my glasses slipping down my nose.
Old 03-13-20, 07:40 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
opti-grab
Old 03-13-20, 07:43 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
Ask your doctor about laser eye surgery , see if its possible to get that done and maybe reduce the diopter value in your eyes. Maybe not even back to 20/20 vision, but even go from 9.0 to something more manageable like 4.0? My eyes are in the 4.0 range and the plastic lenses I use are pretty light, no issues with slipping during warm-weather riding or any other activity.
Old 03-13-20, 08:42 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
My last pair of eyeglasses have glass lenses. I use silicone ear-piece grips and a retention cord. To keep them from slipping down when I slip I tie a strong but thin mono-filament fishing line to the nose-bridge of my glasses and then that line goes over my head to the middle of the retention cord and gets ties off there.

Cheers
Old 03-13-20, 08:44 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I have lenses made from Trivex, which is similar to polycarbonate but can correct vision a little better and can be made really thin. If you can afford an extra pair of glasses I would suggest getting a pair of cycling or sport frames with prescription lenses. SportRx has a good selection. For me this is the most comfortable option.
Old 03-13-20, 09:26 AM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by Miele Man
...To keep them from slipping down when I slip I tie a strong but thin mono-filament fishing line to the nose-bridge of my glasses and then that line goes over my head to the middle of the retention cord and gets ties off there.

Cheers
very clever. I must try that!
Old 03-13-20, 09:41 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I always have something around my head -- sweatband, bandana, or cap. Put glasses on, put on band or cap and make sure it goes over the tops of my ears. At least so far that's been enough to keep glasses on.

The latest high index glass helps (my 'script is over 10), but Crizal coating crazes after 2-3 years. Unacceptable for the price of the darn things.
Old 03-13-20, 12:52 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
opti-grab
No, those make you cross-eyed.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 03-13-20, 01:43 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
My contact implant is causing complications, and doc wants to remove it. I have aleeadt lost some vision in one eye. my eyes are -9.0, so glasses are heavy.

I haven't worn glasses in over 5years. has there been any break thru in eye wear technology?

I remeber having a miserable time with glasses while bicycling...like sweat makes it impossible to keep the glasses on right, and my glasses were heavy.
Back in the day, before I had LASIC, I always wore glasses insisting on glass lenses and cable end frames: https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...as&fr2=piv-web
When adjusted properly they would never, ever slip and were completely comfortable. I could not tolerate elastic straps unless wearing goggles.
Old 03-14-20, 06:57 PM
mtb_addict

I remember when i used to wear thick eyeglasses, I would suffer from debilitating neck pains due to poor posture from sitting and computer use. because i had to sit in front of computer all day. All I wanted to do after work was lay down.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 03-14-20 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-14-20, 07:24 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict

High index plastic lenses, with polished edges. I am -9 in my right eye,and mine are not heavy or very thick.

The ear pieces on the frames have light springs, and I get no slippage when riding, or playing ultimate frisbee.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-14-20, 07:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
My glasses have always been light enough that I'm one of the holdouts for GLASS lenses. But, I now have all the options so Astigmatism, Progressive, Photo Grey, Safety Glass Lenses in Titanium frames. They're not cheap.

As far as keeping them on the nose, I always buy the temples long enough that I can do a full 90° wrap around the ears.

I don't use straps, but the helmet is enough to make it difficult for them to fall off the head when riding.
Old 03-14-20, 08:49 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Croakies are good.

The big breakthrough, IMO, is that there are now affordable options available. I'd seriously consider getting a second pair of glasses designed for sport - you can get it done for around $75, including high-index lenses, here, for example: https://www.zennioptical.com/b/sports-glasses
Old 03-16-20, 09:51 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I always have something around my head -- sweatband, bandana, or cap. Put glasses on, put on band or cap and make sure it goes over the tops of my ears. At least so far that's been enough to keep glasses on.

The latest high index glass helps (my 'script is over 10), but Crizal coating crazes after 2-3 years. Unacceptable for the price of the darn things.
I am wearing Crizal lenses and have not had any problems at year 5. I only use a microfiber cloth. My prior pair was a "similar" coating which when I had a screw come out while I was on travel, and took the glasses it to an optometrist for a replacement screw. He decided to 'clean' my glasses and some of the anti-reflective/anti-UV coating came off. Unfortunately I did not notice it until I got home. Once I knew it was off it bothered me. I have also heard folks say some sunblock can cause issues.

I clean my glasses every morning in the shower with a dab of J&J baby shampoo and polish them with the microfiber lense cloth. Never any issues. I forgot one when I was on the road and used the 'complimentary' shampoo/conditioner in the hotel and it was a smeary mess for a day. Now I carry a snall container of the baby shampoo.
Old 03-17-20, 10:36 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Recently I went on a mission of discovery to find a good eyeglass retention system. Croakies are effective, but I didn't find them comfortable at all. So far my favorite solution are some silicone ear hooks. They slip over the earpiece and are very effective at keeping glasses in place. I often forget they're even on until I try to take my glasses off for a cleaning.
Old 03-17-20, 12:52 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
I prefer frames that have the separate adjustable silicone nose pads rather than the ones that have the nose-piece molded into the frame. I find them more comfortable and I have had no problem with them slipping when adjusted properly. The silicone pads seem to hold on the skin without sliding. Temples are spring loaded, but I don't have them very tight as I get headaches if they press too hard on the area behind the ear. The helmet straps also tend to also keep the glasses in place.

As a thought - have you tried wearing a sweat band?