Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How do YOU remedy the "frame is too small" problem?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How do YOU remedy the "frame is too small" problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 10:08 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
I usually spend too much money trying to make it fit and then sell it at a loss or give it to one of my kids since I am taller than all of them.
Old 06-12-20, 10:42 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Many years ago I bought a frame that I knew was too small for me. I bought it because I lived on the third floor and there was no elevator and the smaller frame made carrying the bike a lot easier. A longer than normal seatpost and an angled long-reach stem allowed me to build up the frame so that the finished bike was a good fit.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-12-20, 07:05 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I ride a 23" bike with a 22.5 toptube. I have a couple 19" hybrid frames and a 21" Raleigh Gran Prix frame that have 21.5- 22.5" top tubes. Their in the "might build a single speed with dirt drops pile. I have a few dirt dropish stems that would work but for the hybrids I would need to buy an extra long seatpost, which I don't realy trust the one's in my budget. The Yakota Ahwahnee is the interesting one. It's got a heavily sloped top tube and I think it would look pretty contemporary with a super long seatpost and dirt drops. I'm not sure if the head and seat tube angles are the same though. Converging angles would probably be a problem.

Last edited by bark_eater; 06-12-20 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 10:36 PM
Guerc 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
The photo of the 23" frame taken in June 2009. The photo of the 25" frame was taken in June 2020. Through feeding it fresh oil, axle grease and WD40 the frame was able to grow a couple of inches over an 11 year period. Read about it in a book on metallurgy.

Actually, I was able to stumble on the same bike in the correct size. Not bad considering it was a color offered for just one model year.

I know the feeling. I went from 56x56 to a 51x53 (and I normally ride a 53-54)

53 to 54.)
Old 06-13-20, 11:23 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
A tall stem. I have a seat height of over 32”, so a 25” frame seems about right. I have an 80s MTB with a 22” frame and I make it work with the longer Nitto quill adapter, a 135mm 30 degree riser stem and some Albatross style bars (about 2” of rise).

Not the most stylish but it works great. I run a 1x with a friction stem shifter, so the entire bar is available for various riding positions. I have grips and the rest is taped all the way to the stem clamp.

Otto