Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

27 x 1 to 27 x 1 1/4 for a Schwinn Le Tour

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-20, 01:11 PM
AbundantClimax

Bikes: 1978-80 Saint Tropez 10 speed, Cannondale R300 (My GF has a better bike than I do)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im thinking about picking up a 85' Schwinn Le Tour Luxe. The wheels listed are 27 x 1 on its catalogue. The one im looking at needs a new rear wheel, and I have a good 27 1 1/4 spare. I dont want to buy a new wheel so if I can't convert this I probably won't buy it (He wants a little much for its condition). How would I go about converting this or would that be more expensive than a wheel itself. Sorry a bit new to this, bike as my transportation, and have zero bike shops within an hour so I have to be real frugal with my restorations with COVID killing my hours at work.

If anyone has any other recommendations for course of actions with this bike im for sure open to ideas.
Old 08-11-20, 01:15 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by AbundantClimax
Im thinking about picking up a 85' Schwinn Le Tour Luxe. The wheels listed are 27 x 1 on its catalogue. The one im looking at needs a new rear wheel, and I have a good 27 1 1/4 spare. I dont want to buy a new wheel so if I can't convert this I probably won't buy it (He wants a little much for its condition). How would I go about converting this or would that be more expensive than a wheel itself. Sorry a bit new to this, bike as my transportation, and have zero bike shops within an hour so I have to be real frugal with my restorations with COVID killing my hours at work.

If anyone has any other recommendations for course of actions with this bike im for sure open to ideas.
I'm not 100% sure I follow. Are you talking about the width of the wheel or the tire? It looks like you're talking about wheel, but I'm not sure what you're trying to "convert"? If it has a freewheel and a tire installed you should be good to go.
Old 08-11-20, 01:49 PM
AbundantClimax

Bikes: 1978-80 Saint Tropez 10 speed, Cannondale R300 (My GF has a better bike than I do)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not 100% sure I follow. Are you talking about the width of the wheel or the tire? It looks like you're talking about wheel, but I'm not sure what you're trying to "convert"? If it has a freewheel and a tire installed you should be good to go.
The standard wheel size on the Schwinn is 27 x 1. I have a good wheel thats 27 x 1 1/4 from a Saint Tropez I want to try to fit on but wasn't sure if I could do that without having to buy other pieces. If I have to buy other pieces thats fine to an extent I just wanted to find my cheapest route here. That post was a bit messy, sorry
Old 08-11-20, 01:56 PM
shoota 

The standard wheel size on the Schwinn is 27 x 1. I have a good wheel thats 27 x 1 1/4 from a Saint Tropez I want to try to fit on but wasn't sure if I could do that without having to buy other pieces. If I have to buy other pieces thats fine to an extent I just wanted to find my cheapest route here. That post was a bit messy, sorry
I don't think you need anything special here. The 1" and 1 1/4" is just the width of the rim (or maybe even the tire if you're looking at a catalog), and I can't think of any reason why your wheel wouldn't work.
Old 08-11-20, 02:00 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem, the 1985 Le Tour originally came with 27 x 1 1/4" wheels.
Likes For brian3069:
Old 08-11-20, 02:03 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Every catalog I see says original is 27 X 1 1/4

https://bikehistory.org/catalogs/1985.html#letour-luxe

https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCa...985Ltwt31.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-11-20, 02:07 PM
shoota 

BTW the wheels listed for an '85 in the catalog are 27 1 1/4"
https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCa...985Ltwt31.html
Likes For shoota:
Old 08-11-20, 03:09 PM
T.W.O.
two wheels only

Bikes: A bunch, ranging from a '60s Carlton Flyer to a 2015 S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts

It sounds like you may be using the word "wheel" when you actually mean tire? The wheel being the the full assembly of hub, spokes, rim, with a tube and tire mounted. If that is correct there is no reason why you cannot replace your worn 27 x 1" rear tire with your 27 x 1 1/4" spare. I've seen people run a wider rear tire on the rear. Later, when funds are available, you can buy a new tire in either size (or compromise and go with 27 x 1 1/8"). There are still some good 27" tires for sale.
Old 08-11-20, 04:44 PM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I just went through a 1979 LeTour 4 for my mailman. I put new tires on it for him and they were 27”x1 1/4” . He said that is what it came with. The bike is heavier than I like , over thirty pounds, but very sturdy. He bought it new and hasn’t ridden it in a while. I am handing it over to him tomorrow with all new grease , wheels true, new tape on the handlebars, cables, new tires and tubes and rim tape. The chrome came up nice . It had no rust. As far as replacing the wheel, just make sure the dropout spacing is correct and it should be fine.
Old 08-11-20, 04:50 PM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts

Mailman Frank’s LeTour
Old 08-12-20, 08:19 PM
AbundantClimax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T.W.O.
It sounds like you may be using the word "wheel" when you actually mean tire? The wheel being the the full assembly of hub, spokes, rim, with a tube and tire mounted. If that is correct there is no reason why you cannot replace your worn 27 x 1" rear tire with your 27 x 1 1/4" spare. I've seen people run a wider rear tire on the rear. Later, when funds are available, you can buy a new tire in either size (or compromise and go with 27 x 1 1/8"). There are still some good 27" tires for sale.
Sorry for the misuse of that. I appreciate the clarification, again I am kinda pretty new to this. That sounds like my plan then thanks for validating I could do this.
Old 08-12-20, 08:21 PM
AbundantClimax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I just went through a 1979 LeTour 4 for my mailman. I put new tires on it for him and they were 27”x1 1/4” . He said that is what it came with. The bike is heavier than I like , over thirty pounds, but very sturdy. He bought it new and hasn’t ridden it in a while. I am handing it over to him tomorrow with all new grease , wheels true, new tape on the handlebars, cables, new tires and tubes and rim tape. The chrome came up nice . It had no rust. As far as replacing the wheel, just make sure the dropout spacing is correct and it should be fine.
That looks great My current haul is about that same year and for sure over 30 lbs, plus bag with work supplies