Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it illegal to have a family member purchase Shimano parts in Europe and send them

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is it illegal to have a family member purchase Shimano parts in Europe and send them

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-20, 03:42 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Do you know what the penalties are for Shimano smuggling? Well I'm sure they're pretty high.
Old 12-29-20, 03:49 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Typically, people fill out the customs forms using only the very vaguest of terms to describe the items.

"Bicycle parts". Done.
I always like to put "not drugs or anything else illegal" on the customs declaration form so they know they don't have to search my packages. But they do anyway, for some reason...
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 12-29-20, 04:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I love that you had questions about doing something illegal and you posted it on a public forum! It is not illegal to send non-illegal goods like bike parts. However I would rather have purchased them from an authorized dealer here in 'Murica, so I can get warranty if I need it. I would not have been a happy camper if I couldn't get warranty for my XT 4 piston rear brake. That would have sucked replacing a new product it was already a suck fest having to buy new fluid and rebleed it several times but would have been worse to buy a new one or have to go through Europe. Shimano N.A. is really easy to deal with.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-30-20, 10:06 AM
James Christie

Bikes: Trek 790 (1992) Trek FXS4 (2019)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Where you exploit manufacturer’s differential pricing, in the jargon it’s called the gray market,It’s no way illegal but the manufacturer will often severely punish the supplier should he ever find out who it was. I made a good living out of it in the 1980s when the USD hit the ceiling against the euro-currencies
In Europe, unlike the US, goods offered and sold to individuals are usually priced with the VAT included (varies from country to country, but usually about 20%) If you are courageous it can usually be claimed back by the ‘exporter’ if proof of export can be shown. But you need stamina!!
I don’t know about the $800 tolerance threshold in the US but a shortwhile ago I thought I would be clever and beat the system and imported into France a Sella Anatomica. By the time I had paid the freight, customs duty(10%) and the VAT (20%) it cost me considerably more than I expected!! At least it’s nice and comfy....

james