Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Looking a Gift Horse in the Mouth

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-21, 10:19 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts

Tomorrow I will apparently be bringing home a bike from work. I was showing a woman at work some pictures of an old Schwinn I'm working on for a fundraiser for a nonprofit recently. The next day she came and told me about two bicycles she has had in the barn for 30 years. Now I know in this area she isn't talking about a Raleigh or Peugeot. And of course it turns out it is a JCPenney bicycle. I'm thinking tires will cost me more than the bike is worth but unless it it totally roached, we may make a few dollars to buy some kids some shoes.

But it does make me think that people will see my facebook posts and such and want to gift me old bike they have and it can get out of control. How does one politely turn down the offers of old bikes that they can't really use or want?
Old 01-07-21, 10:52 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Saying "no" to people who are trying to do something nice - especially when they're offering something for little or free - is very hard. However, in your situation numerous polite excuses will work. Say you can't take on anything that isn't particularly striking to you or has potential to be worth the effort involved in restoration. More generally, you can simply say that you don't have space or time in general. Mostly everyone is understanding of such constraints, or the fact that you might not be interested in what they have... The choice is yours in the end, and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't deserve a polite response from you.

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 01-07-21, 10:53 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Just be honest. Set criteria. For me it's "mid-level." And let folks know what your criteria means in basic terms. Most all folks understand this and will respect your expertise.
Old 01-08-21, 01:00 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
exactly what they said. especially if you're able to convey your "no thanks" is not about them or you but rather about the kids. my wife and i run a non-profit for domestic animals. we have to tell people often enough our basis for rescue is limited and exceptional and that we don't adopt out. as well, when well-meaners want to offer pet supplies that are no good to them anymore, most often we have to politely decline. or if they decide they wanna come visit though we are on our private property and not open to the public. anyway, i feel for you. it's awkward at first, but you get used to it to the point it doesn't pull your heart strings to decline
Old 01-08-21, 01:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
It's easy for me to turn down extra bikes. I have very limited space in my apartment. Fortunately it's large for one person (and three fur monsters) but the spare bedroom is small. I have a hybrid for errands and casual rides with friends, and three road bikes.

Recently I tried to give away the heavy but functional comfort hybrid/errand bike I resumed cycling with in 2015, to a neighbor whose old mountain bike was pretty worn out and really needed a complete overhaul and new components.

But a couple of weeks later I found the bike I'd given him behind the dumpster, minus the rear rack, lights, seat post and saddle. I was a little irritated that he didn't just remove what he wanted or needed and return the bike more or less intact. Then a day or so later I found the seat post dumped on the same spot, minus the saddle. I rolled it back inside, and hope to find another home for it. It only needs a saddle and I have spares.

Seems a shame because his bike's components were shot, not repairable, and had those typical 26" mountain bike knobbies that are useless for urban/suburban transportation and errands. The knobbies are always cracked, and so thin between the knobs they puncture easily. And 700c is much more common and cost effective. The bike I tried to give away had heavy duty wheels and virtually bulletproof Michelin Protek Cross Max tires. Never a puncture in five years, even when I pulled out staples, nails, screws and glass embedded in the tread. But the wheels wouldn't fit his old bike.

Best I can figure the guy has some mental or emotional issues and couldn't handle the pressure or perception that talking with me would lead to some confrontation. But I had honestly and sincerely told him that if he preferred we could remove the components from my old bike (mostly decent stuff like Shimano Altus, all in good working order), to replace his worn out and obsolete low end SRAM and no-name stuff. Maybe he just prefers his old bike, although it doesn't shift. And he didn't install the rear rack properly so it's at a weird angle.

Anyway, that experience caused me to reconsider my plans to restore bikes for some of the local street folks and neighbors who now have an apartment but were in local shelters or homeless. I don't consider it a lost cause, but it's really tricky, approaching them in a way that doesn't threaten their dignity or feel like charity, or like they'll owe me something. A lot of these folks came from abusive backgrounds and are very wary of people offering them anything for free. In their childhood experience there was always a catch and the "payment" expected of them wrecked them for life.
Old 01-08-21, 02:40 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Chuck, you should politely tell them that you have all that you currently need and that you cannot use them, but that GOODWILL and SALVATION ARMY thrift stores will certainly accept their bicycle donations regardless of condition or age, and that their donation to either of those fine organizations will be the best solution. GOODWILL & SALVATION ARMY will sell the old bikes, regardless of condition, and ultimately it will find its way to some tinkerer who will either make it roadworthy, or canibalize it for parts, or flip it, or make some yard art display out of it.......it really doesn't matter as GOODWILL/SALVATION ARMY will generate some funds from the sale of the bicycle, and the GOODWILL or SALVATION ARMY THRIFT STORE customer goes away happy with the purchase no matter what he/she will do with it after purchasing it there.
Salvation Army really does great work in both feeding and housing the homeless. The revenue generated from their sale of your donated junk at their thrift stores does go an incredibly long way at helping the Salvation Army do all that they do in helping the homeless. Please remember that it is now winter in North America and a huge number of homeless people must rely on the Salvation Army shelters when the outside temperature drops. You might not think something like a donated old junk bicycle or any old junk that can be sold in a thrift store will make a difference but it certainly does. Please remember this before you simply just haul your old furniture and bicycles to the curb for trash day pickup, rather than to the Salvation Army where it can make a difference. I know it is easier sometimes to just haul that 600 pound desk or 400 pound sofa to the curb, knowing that some passerby in a pickup truck will grab it within ten minutes..........rather than the effort needed to load or move something that large and heavy in your truck to deliver to SalvationArmy/GOODWILL, no matter that it is in great condition, it is just a pain in the butt to move it and for whatever reason, you and your wife just want to get rid of it.... In non-Covid times, both Salvation Army and GOODWILL would send a truck to pick up donations but not now due to safety-Social Distancing of smaller volunteer/employee staff and necessary steps and protocol to remain safe and Covid free. A bicycle isn't too large or too heavy for most people with their own pickup truck to load and remove..............a 1950's era heavy-weight full size bicycle with fenders, rack, coaster brakes and all might weigh 65 pounds, but despite that weight.....two 70 year old people can get it into a pickup truck's bed without a struggle.
I think donation will do the "Most Good". Hey people sometimes forget about the homeless and they are always there. Perhaps it isn't a subject for bike forums, but too many folks are all for saving and doing all they can for saving animals at the pound, homeless kitties & dogs, etc but don't seem to respond with the same energy when it comes to homeless human population. Yes, the animals are innocent and their choices didn't lead them to their current situation, but despite the perhaps unwise choices and/or perhaps incredibly bad luck in life, the homeless human population does not deserve to live outdoors in temperatures that most of us would never subject our pets to. Do remember that many of todays homeless population are veterans. We, who are fortunate here in the land of plenty, should not turn a blind eye to the fact that far too many folks are homeless today for whatever reason. I certainly don't have the answers to solve this. I do think that donations of old junk such as bicycles, furniture, clothes, kitchen appliances, pots, pans, tools, anything... will go a long way in helping the Salvation Army do what it does. You don't always need to drop money into the Red Kettles or mail them a donation via check.(don't stop doing so if you can help..)......in some cities, the Salvation Army accepts donations of automobiles/boats/motorcycles/RV's/trucks which it(the Salv. Army) has an annual or bi-annual AUTO AUCTION to dispose of such donated vehicles. You will get a 1098 form from them stating exactly the gross proceeds derived from the auction/sale of your old vehicle so you can Report that for IRS income tax Donation Value on that particular year's tax return. Certainly there are many other very worthy charitable organizations when considering a donation of a vehicle, boat, motorcycle, or RV. Take your pick. These are simply suggestions. As for an old junk bicycle, or even a nice bike.......donating it to the Salvation Army or even to GOODWILL,etc.. is not necessarily a bad idea.
If nice however, selling the bicycle yourself outright for near fairmarket value and then choosing to donate those proceeds to your favorite charity is better for doing the most good.
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 01-08-21, 04:17 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Tomorrow I will apparently be bringing home a bike from work. I was showing a woman at work some pictures of an old Schwinn I'm working on for a fundraiser for a nonprofit recently. The next day she came and told me about two bicycles she has had in the barn for 30 years. Now I know in this area she isn't talking about a Raleigh or Peugeot. And of course it turns out it is a JCPenney bicycle. I'm thinking tires will cost me more than the bike is worth but unless it it totally roached, we may make a few dollars to buy some kids some shoes.

But it does make me think that people will see my facebook posts and such and want to gift me old bike they have and it can get out of control. How does one politely turn down the offers of old bikes that they can't really use or want?
I basically don't turn down anything offered to me for free. If going to purchase some old thing frequently they have other old bikes they want to sell cheap. If not interested I always offer to run them downtown to the bicycle COOP where they can make use of most anything (and recycle the rest) and gives me the excuse to look through their bins for stuff I might need.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 01-08-21, 06:45 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

I've got a lot of good ideas thus far. I didn't want to seem unappreciative to this lady because she has been kind to our organization in the past and I know her heart is definitely in the right place. But it is true that I'm going to be low on space if I take everything that is offered. Worst case scenario, I learn to say no to bike sight unseen.
Old 01-08-21, 08:08 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Chuck M ....or for your particular case, since you want to recognize her generosity and do her a favour, if the bike truly is no good take it anyway and follow one of the suggestions above yourself.
Likes For markk900:
Old 01-08-21, 09:16 AM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
I have been in the same situation. I reolaced some cables etc and donated bike to a charity.
Old 01-08-21, 05:30 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

I’m glad I accepted this from her. She seemed happy that I took it. Unfortunately I think about all will be able to do is salvage a few parts. I will probably rebuild and grease this rear hub for giggles. The saddle is in decent shape and the 5/16 front axle should be able to be used on a bike with a bent axle.