Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My 11 year old wheels are starting to die. Need replacement recommendations

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 02-15-20, 03:57 AM
TsunamiJobu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Single speed wheel set for ~15mi daily commute... trying to balance durability with performance. Any recommendations?
Old 02-15-20, 09:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
Price range? Tire size and width? Rim brake or disc brake? QR or bolt-on?
Old 02-15-20, 11:32 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Assuming a standard SS/FG road setup (700x23-32, bolt on hubs, rim brakes), Velomine has some nice offerings.

The $200 set with Mavic Open Pro rims, Formula hubs, and 32h lacing comes in just under 2,000 grams. (Compare Shimano RS 11, a fairly standard low-end/stock wheel on geared road bikes, at just over 1,900 grams without the cassette.) They are pretty zippy while still being able to handle potholes/curb jumps. I've also used wheels built with Sun CR-18 rims and found them to be durable, long-term.

Deep-section rims tend to add weight, and I suspect that the aero savings do not make up for it (especially on a commute). Some prefer the aesthetic.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 02-16-20, 11:57 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I’m curious how they are “dying.” Rim brake tracks wearing thin? Breaking spokes? Hubs getting rough? Some of these things can be fixed by a local shop without springing for all-new wheels.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-10-20, 09:33 AM
ups

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Assuming a standard SS/FG road setup (700x23-32, bolt on hubs, rim brakes), Velomine has some nice offerings.

The $200 set with Mavic Open Pro rims, Formula hubs, and 32h lacing comes in just under 2,000 grams. (Compare Shimano RS 11, a fairly standard low-end/stock wheel on geared road bikes, at just over 1,900 grams without the cassette.) They are pretty zippy while still being able to handle potholes/curb jumps. I've also used wheels built with Sun CR-18 rims and found them to be durable, long-term.

Deep-section rims tend to add weight, and I suspect that the aero savings do not make up for it (especially on a commute). Some prefer the aesthetic.
I like CR-18's also. Kind of tough to find these days. The Velomine set would be my first choice.

If not the CR-18's, the Mavic Open Pro's you suggested would be good as well.
Old 03-10-20, 09:36 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I’m curious how they are “dying.” Rim brake tracks wearing thin? Breaking spokes? Hubs getting rough? Some of these things can be fixed by a local shop without springing for all-new wheels.
I'm curious as well. Some of my wheels are close to 50 years old (with tens of thousands of miles on them) and yet they are still completely functional.
Old 03-10-20, 11:05 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I'm curious as well. Some of my wheels are close to 50 years old (with tens of thousands of miles on them) and yet they are still completely functional.
My experience is that commuters are hard used and poorly maintained which wears things fast.

Personally I like the velocity a23 which built up nice and both my sets are still running well. I thought the quill would be a nice build but wasn't impressed. Don't know who makes the hubs on their prebuilt wheels but the one I have is decent.
Old 03-10-20, 01:09 PM
ups

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Universal Cycles custom wheel builder can also help.
Old 03-12-20, 08:00 PM
TsunamiJobu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey. Forgot about this thread. Yes 700x23-32 rims. Caliber brakes?

Yeah... I ran these things into the ground. ~25k miles mostly in downtown Chicago year round. So tons of potholes, salt and grime. Then moved to Seattle with more of the same w/o the salt. Anyway just started commuting again in Dallas and the shop said the wheels were spent. Something about the spokes being siezed and brittle. Basically said that it wouldn’t make sense to replace as the spokes broke and instead get new wheels.

so... looking for good single speed recommendations (affordable, durable, but also good).
Likes For TsunamiJobu: