Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Transferring groupsets from one bike to another

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 12:35 PM
Histman1

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek CrossRip, Trek DS4, Jamis Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey folks,
My wife has a 2015 trek Neko SLX with disc brakes. Its a 9 spd triple ring. I purchased her a 2015 Trek Verve 1 WSD. (purple), which is a 7 spd. She wants me to transfer the groupset from the Neko to the Verve because she likes the "step thru" design better. She also loves the color purple. This transfer would include wheels due to the disc brake setup. The Verve has rim brakes. The Neko is a 700c x 38, whereas the Verve is a 700c x 35. would this be doable. Looking forward to feedback
Old 03-02-20, 12:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Assuming cable actuated brakes, you can probably transfer the shifters, derailleurs, and cranks between bikes. What kind of bottom bracket do the bikes use?

You may be able to swap forks and front disc brakes between the bikes.

However, unless both bike have disc brake mounts on the rear, don't bother with the swap.

Wheels? Does either bike have a freewheel, or do both have, say 8/9/10 speed cassettes? If both have cassettes, you can do the swap (beware of 7 speed freehubs). If you have a freewheel in the mix, then you can purchase 9 speed freewheels, but it does add further complications.

Anyway, some will work, some won't. Personally I'd leave the disc brakes alone, and just go for the cranks, derailleurs, & shifters.
Old 03-02-20, 12:52 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
What are you going to mount the disc brake calipers to on the Verve?

You may be better off leaving the Neko intact.
New rear wheel, 9 speed cassette, shifters & chain for the Verve.
The Verve has a Free Wheel hub, whereas the Neko has a Free Hub (cassette) hub.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 03-02-20 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-02-20, 03:49 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Looks like the NEKO is hydraulic disk and the Verve is V brakes. The verve likely does not have provisions for mounting disc calipers.
If the shifters and brakes are separate units you'd need to keep the verve brake handles. I can't tell from the pictures if the NEKO rims have rim brake surfaces. If not you're talking wheels as well due to the freewheel/freehub incompatibility.

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...ko_slx/details

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/..._1_wsd/details
Old 03-02-20, 04:49 PM
CliffordK

Ouch, I didn't realize we were talking about 9 speed hydraulic.

I think you're opening a can of worms you don't want to let loose, unless you're sure the Verve can receive the parts.

You're probably much better off deciding if you wish to do upgrades (double/triple, cassette/speeds in rear, etc), and then just sourcing parts and doing the upgrade.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-02-20, 06:14 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Yeah, you might be able to use some of the parts from the NEKO on the Verve, llike the shifters, DRs and wheels (but not the brakes) The same parts, particularly the wheels from the Verve won't fit on the NEKO. The end result will be a bike that's OK but not quite where you want it, and a pile of parts that don't quite make another bike.

Probably better to just to just do upgrades as the preferred bike will accept
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 03-03-20, 06:34 AM
Histman1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well folks,
I will heed the advice you have given me, and leave the Neko intact. I will upgrade the Verve as I go.

Thanks for all of the feedback. That was what I needed.
Old 03-03-20, 10:05 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
As above, it would not be a simple swap, esp. wrt. brakes, as the Verve has no disc mounts, and the Neko rims are disc specific and have no braking surface.

Anyhoo, having slightly lower end derailleurs and shifters is not something that really effects ride quality or enjoyment, so upgrading the Verve is likely not worth the effort. The only improvement I would expect to have a decent return on effort would be to replace the rear 'freewheel' wheel with a more modern 'freehub' wheel, which will likely roll slightly better and be more durable. It may be difficult to find a 7 speed freehub wheel but an 8 speed (same spacing as modern 8, 9, 10, etc, hubs) can be used with a 7 speed cassette and a spacer.

Also, bikes usually come from the factory with the heaviest and slowest tires known to bikedom, so replacing tires with lighter/more-supple-casing/faster/better could have a noticeable impact on ride quality. I like to wait until my rear tire is pretty worn, then buy myself new tires as a reward for riding so much that I wore out a tire. So I don't think of tires as an 'upgrade' but as a 'wear item' that eventually needs replacement.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 03-03-20, 10:29 AM
Histman1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for that information...I may be picking your brain some more before this is over.
Old 03-03-20, 01:21 PM
Histman1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well folks,

after going home and looking at the Neko. Boy! do I feel stupid! I could have easily answered the question of whether or not I could transfer wheels and group set. I now know that everyone of you probably were or are thinking, "what an idiot!"...Lol! I would have to agree!
Old 03-03-20, 02:51 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
IF she likes the 9 speed vs 7, that can be upgraded.
The main bugaboo is the rear hub has to be changed to a different type.
That's not that big of a deal if you are a wheel builder, AND your nipples/spokes haven't corroded together.
Likely, the spokes will still be the correct length.
You can discuss the price of that with your LBS. It might be more reasonable during the slow season.
Basically about $100 for the shifters, chain & cassette.
The DER's will probably work, but might also need to be upgraded to 9 speed. Try it first.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-03-20, 03:13 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
IF she likes the 9 speed vs 7, that can be upgraded.
The main bugaboo is the rear hub has to be changed to a different type.
That's not that big of a deal if you are a wheel builder, AND your nipples/spokes haven't corroded together.
Likely, the spokes will still be the correct length.
You can discuss the price of that with your LBS. It might be more reasonable during the slow season.
Basically about $100 for the shifters, chain & cassette.
The DER's will probably work, but might also need to be upgraded to 9 speed. Try it first.
If you add larger rear or smaller front sprockets, then it is important to look at the derailleur capacity.

One can purchase 9 speed freewheels if you hunt for them. They aren't as durable as a new cassette hub/wheel. But, if one is careful with the bike, it should be OK. One may need to do some spacing adjustment and dishing of the wheel.
Likes For CliffordK: