Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1st Post - 80s Ross Bear Mt

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 08:49 AM
Dtholmanmax

Bikes: Ross Bear Mt, Kids Specialized Hotrock 24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So i was about to try to find my daughter a bike to ride around on and my sister tells me she has one that may work. Turns out it's an 80s Ross Bear Mt. I thought it was trash when she sent me the pics but then now that I've looked it up, maybe not. Really just want to get it generally clean and operationally sound but I'm not a bike mechanic other than the occasional tire and tube change. We mounted the rear wheel and it rides and shifts ok but I know it needs a full clean, lube and adjustments. Will probably change it over to more comfortable tires...pics to come shortly
Old 05-10-20, 08:54 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,967 Posts
Originally Posted by Dtholmanmax
So i was about to try to find my daughter a bike to ride around on and my sister tells me she has one that may work. Turns out it's an 80s Ross Bear Mt. I thought it was trash when she sent me the pics but then now that I've looked it up, maybe not. Really just want to get it generally clean and operationally sound but I'm not a bike mechanic other than the occasional tire and tube change. We mounted the rear wheel and it rides and shifts ok but I know it needs a full clean, lube and adjustments. Will probably change it over to more comfortable tires...pics to come shortly
Welcome to the world of C and V!

Most of the stuff to do will likely involve minor things that are actually relaxing to learn...cabling (not bar tape, that can be non-therapeutic), changing and adjusting stuff.

A friend of mine long ago had a Mt Hood, which had roller cam brake-set up. Very cool.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 05-10-20, 09:29 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 665 Posts
Ross made some good mountain bikes back in the 80's. We should be able to get you through the getting the bike cleaned up and riding. Then on to working like new.

80's Mountain bikes get a lot love here at Bike Forums because they are versatile. They can be trail bikes, grocery bike, comfort bikes, commuters, or great all arounders. All while looking good and being sturdy.

The first step for me is a good cleaning. After using a wash cloth with a bucket of soapy water, I will dry the frame and bike and use polishing compound to bring back the shine. If it looks good at this point though you may only need car wax. Cleaning the wheels in the least fun, but the most rewarding after the wheels are nice and clean, the bike looks much better. Try to snake the wash cloth into the center of the wheel so that you can clean the hub.

I use smooth tread tires on my Mountain bikes since they are mostly ridden on pavement. To get things moving better in the beginning I use a lubricate spray in the cables. WD-40 will get in there, however, in my opinion, it doesn't last. Use what you have while we are in lock down.

Don't forget to take some before and after pictures and post them here. You'll need 10 posts to show your pictures. However, I believe that you can place pictures on your personal information and someone here could post them.
Old 05-10-20, 12:35 PM
Dtholmanmax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I use smooth tread tires on my Mountain bikes since they are mostly ridden on pavement. To get things moving better in the beginning I use a lubricate spray in the cables. WD-40 will get in there, however, in my opinion, it doesn't last. Use what you have while we are in lock down.

Don't forget to take some before and after pictures and post them here. You'll need 10 posts to show your pictures. However, I believe that you can place pictures on your personal information and someone here could post them.

Ok so I have uploaded several pics to my user cp in an album. Hopefully you can see some of the components and share them to this thread for comments.

What tires do you recommend. My daughter definitely won't be going off road
Old 05-10-20, 12:39 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/17779472

Old 05-10-20, 01:12 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Love that colorful aluminum stem. I have one of those in bright green. Re:tires, Continental makes a good smoother all-purpose hybrid mtb kind of thing. My wife has them on a 90s MTB and never gets flats; they are a bit heavy though.

They’re something like this I believe.
https://www.nashbar.com/continental-...gaAoyrEALw_wcB
Old 05-10-20, 01:17 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I've got a soft spot for Ross MTBs, since I own one and grew up in eastern PA.

That's not a bad starting point!

That style of brake was only popular for a short period of time, but availability of consumables - pads (with a smooth stud), cables and housing - are not going to be a problem. If everything can be cleaned and adjusted, and the consumables replaced, it shouldn't be a problem.

That crank is actually pretty cool!

What size are the tires? If they're the typical MTB size 26", with a bead seat diameter (BSD) of 559 millimeters, there are a number of good slick tires in that size at low prices. My favorite source is planetx.co.uk, even here in the USA. Filter by your tire size and you can look for good deals. For this type of bike and style of riding, I think 1.75 inch width (~45 mm) is a good compromise in width.
Old 05-10-20, 03:28 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I believe this one is a 1988 model. The serial number will provide confirmation. The graphics and Alpha 3000 derailleurs are the same as 1987 but the Dia-Compe U-brakes use actual brazed-on studs, whereas the 1987 used Lee Chi rollercam clones that incorporated a bridge and mounted via a central bolt. This is an entry level ATB bordering on a city bicycle.
Old 05-10-20, 04:25 PM
Dtholmanmax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not seeing the s/n on it.. any idea where it would be?
Old 05-10-20, 04:31 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
The crank's intriguing. Is it the elusive Sugino 5 pin PX or some strange clone?
Old 05-10-20, 04:40 PM
Dtholmanmax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
The crank's intriguing. Is it the elusive Sugino 5 pin PX or some strange clone?
"Tracer" is embossed on it so I'm assuming that's what the crank set is
Old 05-10-20, 04:49 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Clone it is. I see a few of them scattered about ebay. Any 50.4 bcd that's not TA or Stronglight is unusual. Entry level maybe but cool just the same.
Old 05-11-20, 05:51 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Dtholmanmax
I'm not seeing the s/n on it.. any idea where it would be?
Ross typically stamped the serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket shell. However, this is slightly later than I'm used to seeing, so they may have changed the location. Also check; 1.The lower, non-drive of the seat tube. 2. The rear dropouts. 3. The head tube.
Old 05-11-20, 06:32 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by clubman
Clone it is. I see a few of them scattered about ebay. Any 50.4 bcd that's not TA or Stronglight is unusual. Entry level maybe but cool just the same.
The Tracer was actually a significant step down from the Sugino PX, as it was a swaged construction. Additionally, the spider is larger, incorporating both bolt circles (see pic with inner & outer chainrings removed). Though I do agree that it was an intriguing retro look for the late 1980s. Aesthetically, they matched nicely with the Lee Chi Sine Power brakes used on the 1987 Bear Mountain.

Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-11-20, 01:57 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Nothing to do with ATBs, but...

Bear mountain is in the Hudson Valley region of New York, overlooking the Hudson River. It is to the right (east) of the Bear Mountain Bridge in the picture. It is shaped like a bear at rest. Very scenic area.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 05-12-20 at 05:54 AM.
Old 05-11-20, 06:33 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Been there a few times, but always driving.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 06-02-20, 10:25 AM
Berone

Bikes: Trek Madonne 2.1, Dahon Mariner, Scott Aspect 980, Ross Bear Mountain

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live near there and have biked over that bridge! So it's almost poetic that I have my '87 Ross Bear Mountain on the stand on the porch, trying to bring it back to life.