Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Too Much Turkey????

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Too Much Turkey????

Old 11-27-20, 09:36 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Too Much Turkey????

I thought this was a funny story. Blame it on too much turkey and sugar yesterday????

I was at the hardware story this morning and a really nice gentleman about my age was helping me. He saw my Ride the Rockies pullover and asked if I rode. I asked if he rode and he said that he did. We started talking about different areas we’ve ridden and we’d been in many of the same areas across the US. We had both ridden Natchez Trace Parkway recently and we shared several stories of different interesting spots. He had actually done an out and back on the Natchez and I was really impressed, I was thinking this guy must me a heck of a rider to do that plus other rides we’d talked about self supported. I thought I might have finally met indyfabz !!

He asked me what king of bike I rode and I told him a Pinarello. He looked puzzled and asked me if it was an Italian bike and I said it was. I told him that I also had a couple Cervelo’s and he said he hadn’t heard of those either. I asked him about his bike......thinking he’d say a bike made for touring but he said it was the bike he rode in this morning.....a Triumph. A Triumph is a motorcycle!!!!!

Oh well, we both laughed as we must have talked for 5 minutes and neither one of us knew we were talking about different types of “bikes”!!!!!
Old 11-27-20, 08:01 PM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I would think Motorbike first as that is more common
Old 11-27-20, 08:31 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Astrozombie
I would think Motorbike first as that is more common
Heresy!!! Abomination!!!!
Old 11-27-20, 09:33 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Years back my wife struck up a conversation with a man wearing a baseball cap with "Tandem" on the front. She was telling him all about our Santana. He wasn't responding as she anticipated. I think the conversation ended before the poor guy had a clue what she was talking about. Tandem computers, now a division of HP, is a long way from cycling.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 11-27-20, 09:37 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Knew EXACTLY where your story was heading because >>>

April 27th out for an overnight 100 mile ride. Mile 32 at 1:25AM got hit by a 150 pound wild pig. Told to contact PCP following stay at Trauma hospital. Called and spoke to individual to set up appointment and was asked "for reason I needed to see doctor." Said I was riding bicycle, got hit by a hog and cracked scapula, ribs, punctured lung, injured shoulder ..... and she said "YOU GOT HIT BY A MOTORCYCLE????"

Lots of retired *Old Fogey* Harley Davidson HOG riders here.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 11-30-20, 11:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
I share great back roads and vice versa with a friend who rides sport bikes. We have traveled so many of the same places in search of beauty, solitude and entertaining roads. It was just like talking to a cyclist. We both had Italian rides, his was just a Ducati.

Old 12-04-20, 01:36 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I share great back roads and vice versa with a friend who rides sport bikes. We have traveled so many of the same places in search of beauty, solitude and entertaining roads. It was just like talking to a cyclist. We both had Italian rides, his was just a Ducati.
One of the clerks at my local grocery store asked me about riding in the cold, and I told him the gloves, windbreaker, and even the COVID mask help. He was commiserating about how cold it was that morning, since he rides the big Yamaha motorcycle I have seen parked next to the bike rack on several occasions. Yes, in many ways, just like talking to a fellow bicyclist. We share some of the same safety issues stemming from being unnoticed on the road.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E: