Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike Identification

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-21, 08:48 PM
Alternativeroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Identification

Hey All,
I am new to the forum. I typically ride Specialized bikes and was given the opportunity to purchase an old bike from a storage locker but cant make out the brand to even know if it's worth adding to my collection. Anyone recognize it?

The forum wont let me post pics so the photo is in my avatar.
Old 01-06-21, 09:03 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Pretty raw picture.

Old 01-06-21, 09:10 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Gonna need a better picture than that. pump peg and it's a very small frame based on the head tube
Old 01-06-21, 11:11 PM
Alternativeroad

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I updated my avatar with a wider shot. I've got a few days to decide if I want the bike but I have no idea what it is.
Old 01-07-21, 02:46 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Seriously? There are a billion-gazillion bikes on this planet but you're dead-set devoted to this one - even though it looks like it was photographed through the bottom of a beer glass?

Help us help you; ask for some better photos. Otherwise we're just dickin' the dog here.

DD
Old 01-07-21, 03:38 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Alternativeroad
I updated my avatar with a wider shot. I've got a few days to decide if I want the bike but I have no idea what it is.
Although you can't yet post pics you can upload them. Other members can then go to your album to view them. Don't bother with your avatar. Other than that- bump up your post count to 10 so you can post pics. What is your favorite Specialized bike?
Old 01-07-21, 06:29 AM
Alternativeroad

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Insidious. Truth be told I'm not much of a road bike guy but I'm hoping to get into it. I moved from the Pacific NW recently to the midwest. In the PNW I rode my Specialized Hardrocks and an older trek. Here in the flat lands of the midwest I was hoping to take up something that takes advantage of the flat terrain.

Growing up I was an avid flatland BMX guy although I did so with dirt jumper frames due to the durability. If I were 20 years younger I'd revisit my glory days. That said, it sounds like road bikes are a better fit for my locale and age.

As for asking for a better pic, it's an online auction that someone is bidding on and asked if I want the bike. If I do he'll win the auction and sell me the bike. I'm not set on this bike but the price is right (assuming it's worth it).
Old 01-07-21, 06:38 AM
Alternativeroad

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is a Yokota Discovery!!!
Old 01-07-21, 07:33 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

I hope that you're about 5'3" tall.

Old 01-07-21, 11:20 AM
Alternativeroad

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I hope that you're about 5'3" tall.
Is it really that small? Dang, back to the drawing board.
Likes For Alternativeroad:
Old 01-07-21, 11:42 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Alternativeroad
Is it really that small? Dang, back to the drawing board.
How tall are you?

Old 01-07-21, 12:13 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
It's tiny, for someone really small. Looks like it would fit my SO, she's 160cm/5'3

But still curious about the brand. What does the logo on the top tube say? What's on the head tube, looks almost like a shield with German colors? What equipment does it have? Is the fork crown stamped with something?

Alternativeroad you can upload pictures, but only in the Albums area ( here: https://www.bikeforums.net/album.php ) and click "Upload Now", then click "Create Album" and add pics to it. Once you do that, tell us here, and someone can fetch them. Here's the kinds of things most would want to see:

Pics of any identifying decals
Pics of the rear dropouts
Pics of the seat cluster, where the seat post exits
Pics of the fork crown area
Pics of the bottom bracket area
Pics of the rear brake bridge
Pics of any unique details in the lugs or stampings on the tubes or under the bottom bracket

The style of pump peg used harken back to something mid- (50s) or late-mid-century (60s-70s) European manufacturer to me, but without clearer pics ... who knows!

Likes For francophile:
Old 10-03-21, 08:07 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
It's tiny, for someone really small. Looks like it would fit my SO, she's 160cm/5'3

But still curious about the brand. What does the logo on the top tube say? What's on the head tube, looks almost like a shield with German colors? What equipment does it have? Is the fork crown stamped with something?
I can confirm that Alternativeroad was correct, the model decal appears to be from a Yokota Discovery. I am working on a lovely turquoise/blue one about the same size. Too bad there is basically no information available about this bike, but most Yokotas I've seen have very nice frames. The one I am working on is certainly light for a steel bike.