Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Chattahoochee River multi-use path in planning stages jointly by Cobb and Atlanta

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Chattahoochee River multi-use path in planning stages jointly by Cobb and Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 10:30 AM
larryfeltonj

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's an article about the Chattahoochee River mixed-use trail. If this trail is built, and connects to other projected trails as the Cobb DOT plans it to, the network of trails would loop from the Silver Comet Trail entrance at Floyd Road, down Floyd Road and Mableton Parkway to the Chattahoochee, up the Chattahoochee, crossing the river at I-285, and onward to Peachtree Creek in the City of Atlanta.

Cobb and Atlanta's planners began talking about this while they were planning modifications to Donald Hollowell Parkway and Veteran's Memorial Highway.

Those of you who know the area, think about this. You'd be able to leave the Silver Comet Trail at Floyd Road, access businesses and amenities along Floyd (grocery stores, the post office, the library) then loop to the river along Mableton Parkway, and ride to the park Cobb County is planning at the mouth of Nickajack Creek and the river. In the long run, if the Trust for Public Land is successful with their plan, the river trail network would go from Buford Dam on the north, to the Chattahoochee Bend State Park near Coweta County on the south.

Cobb County will apply for ARC grant to develop Chattahoochee River mixed-use trail ? River Edges
Old 05-11-17, 03:37 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Not sure where the Chattahoochee Bend aspect was mentioned.....but I look at this like a trail plan to nowhere unless they can make the other (more important) trail plan that depends on rail company giving up land. I mean, ANY trail is good, but this thing will put you off into some crap traffic without that connector trail that isn't getting any footing.
Old 05-14-17, 07:21 PM
larryfeltonj

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Not sure where the Chattahoochee Bend aspect was mentioned.....but I look at this like a trail plan to nowhere unless they can make the other (more important) trail plan that depends on rail company giving up land. I mean, ANY trail is good, but this thing will put you off into some crap traffic without that connector trail that isn't getting any footing.
It depends on where you are going to or from, as to whether you consider it a "trail plan to nowhere". If you're anywhere along Mableton Parkway or Oakdale Road this plan will take you to the park-in-progress at Nickajack Creek, Riverview Landing, the Proctor Creek Greenway, and probably the things planned for the old city incinerator in the Riverside community (depending on what the City of Atlanta plans.) All this would happen with no more road crossing than an equivalent length of the Silver Comet Trail. In fact, on the Cobb County side, the only traffic you have to deal with is the crossing at Veterans Memorial (Highway 78). The rest is in the woods, by the river until you cross.

As for the Chattahoochee Bend plan, that's a project of the Trust for Public Land, and is a more longterm plan with a lot of pieces, including this trail. I interviewed the Cobb DOT person most involved in trail planning yesterday afternoon, and he mentioned Connect the Comet with no prompting from me. Cobb DOT is very supportive of the project, but there's no way at this time to force CSX to the table.
Old 05-23-17, 07:29 PM
drew55
Daily Commuter-Tampa, FL

Bikes: Orbea Ora, Cannondale R800, old Cannondale, murry mountain bike, EZ Rider recombent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I mean, ANY trail is good
Any trail is a start in the right direction. Even if it takes a year or two to make other connections to it, in the mean time, it's a trail that help keep you out of the traffic.

League of American Bicyclist LCI 3144
♥♥ Please support riders if you can ♥♥
Old 06-07-17, 04:10 PM
bicyclebunny

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second any trail is good. I'll be super happy if Cobb takes the initiative to increase trails/space for cyclists.
Old 06-29-17, 08:55 AM
dancolestock
Silver Comet Trail user

Bikes: (shopping for an e-bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by larryfeltonj
It depends on where you are going to or from, as to whether you consider it a "trail plan to nowhere". If you're anywhere along Mableton Parkway or Oakdale Road this plan will take you to the park-in-progress at Nickajack Creek, Riverview Landing, the Proctor Creek Greenway, and probably the things planned for the old city incinerator in the Riverside community (depending on what the City of Atlanta plans.) All this would happen with no more road crossing than an equivalent length of the Silver Comet Trail. In fact, on the Cobb County side, the only traffic you have to deal with is the crossing at Veterans Memorial (Highway 78). The rest is in the woods, by the river until you cross.

As for the Chattahoochee Bend plan, that's a project of the Trust for Public Land, and is a more longterm plan with a lot of pieces, including this trail. I interviewed the Cobb DOT person most involved in trail planning yesterday afternoon, and he mentioned Connect the Comet with no prompting from me. Cobb DOT is very supportive of the project, but there's no way at this time to force CSX to the table.
Hey Larry, saw your post, did you post or publish your interview? On RiverEdges.com, by chance?

Who at CCDOT did you interview? Do you have a short list of trails and sidewalks people at CCDOT you're willing to share (for future reference)?

Thanks Dan Colestock, PE FotCCBHD BoD member, Nextdoor Lead (2/2013), live next to Silver Comet Trail 25 years and participated in getting it built
Dan.Colestock@gmail.com
Old 06-29-17, 09:20 AM
dancolestock
Silver Comet Trail user

Bikes: (shopping for an e-bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CCDOT is currently working on a wide sidewalk along Floyd Road south of the Silver Comet Depot, a needed piece of this trail, and yesterday the Connect The Comet leaders presented their 4000-signature petition to Governor Nathan Deal's office to try and get things moving with the state and CSX.

The concept of connecting the SCT and Beltline enjoys almost universal support as an obvious great idea and excellent investment. The "process" apparently requires an official proposal to be submitted to the CSX Rails-to-Trails program, I assume this step can be done by GA DOT with limited or no insight into eventual financing if there's enough political pressure/will. The key is to get CSX and GA DOT negotiating a deal, PATH is certain to become involved for their generous $$ support and leadership as they were for the Silver Comet Trail. It won't be Cobb and/or Fulton/Atlanta since the right-of-way is about 50% on each side of the Chattahoochee River/moat.

The CSX tracks are completely paved over at Plant Atkinson Road, so the right-of-way in Cobb north of there is clearly unused. I understand that the tracks have actually been removed in places south of there. The most valuable piece is the rusty old trestle spanning the Chattahoochee River. Unfortunately, the right-of-way runs right through the infamous Atlanta water treatment plant (and next to the Cobb water treatment plant). Trail users might have to practice holding their breath for long periods ...
Old 06-29-17, 06:49 PM
larryfeltonj

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dancolestock
Hey Larry, saw your post, did you post or publish your interview? On RiverEdges.com, by chance?

Who at CCDOT did you interview? Do you have a short list of trails and sidewalks people at CCDOT you're willing to share (for future reference)?

Thanks Dan Colestock, PE FotCCBHD BoD member, Nextdoor Lead (2/2013), live next to Silver Comet Trail 25 years and participated in getting it built
Dan.Colestock@gmail.com
Hi, Dan. I interviewed Eric Meyer. He's generally been the point person on both trails and public transit at the Cobb DOT. Apropos of that, Roberta Cook just sent out this notice about meetings around a trails master plan. I'll probably work it into an article or get someone else to do it.

==================================================================

Good afternoon:

The Cobb County Department of Transportation (DOT) is developing its first-ever Greenways and Trails Master Plan, to help determine priorities for future trails throughout the county. The purpose of the plan is to provide a roadmap for the county – examining what is already built, what is currently underway, and where to go from here. It will identify priority corridors for new greenways and trails and provide recommendations for building upon and improving the existing network to make trails more accessible to everyone. As part of that process, the DOT is hosting two Citizen Stakeholder Meetings to provide an update on the project and solicit your input about the future trail network and projects.

You are invited to participate in one of two Citizen Stakeholder Meetings on Tuesday July 11, 2017 OR Thursday July 13, 2017 at 6:00 PM. The meetings will be identical and will include an overview of the Master Plan process and activities conducted to-date, updates on ongoing trail projects, and break-out sessions to discuss ideas for future trails and priorities.

Please RSVP by 5pm Thursday July 8, 2017 and indicate which of the two meetings you plan to attend, by replying directly to this email or by calling Erin Thoresen at 678-518-3881.

Option 1 - Citizen Stakeholder Meeting (East Cobb)
July 11, 2017
6:00 – 7:30pm
East Cobb Library
4880 Lower Roswell Rd, Marietta, GA 30068
Click here for directions

OR

Option 2 - Citizen Stakeholder Meeting (West Cobb)
July 13, 2017
6:00 – 7:30pm
Cobb County Department of Transportation – Meeting Room E
1890 County Services Pkwy, Marietta, GA 30008
Click here for directions

A packet of information will be distributed in advance of the meeting to attendees who RSVP.

For more information about the Greenways and Trails Master Plan, visit the project website, Cobb County ? Greenways and Trails Plan ? The Cobb County Department of Transportation has initiated a Greenways and Trails Master Plan process, to help determine priorities for future trails throughout the county.. If you have questions regarding these meetings or the process, please contact Eric Meyer, County Project Manager (770-528-1539) or Erin Thoresen, Consultant Team Liaison (678-518-3881).

Last edited by larryfeltonj; 06-29-17 at 07:01 PM.