Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 05:29 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I "cruisered" my Mongoose for a while. Awesome bike for yard saling, etc.

I love it! That is so cool, very awe inspiring!
Old 07-17-13, 08:29 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapidray
I like it. I like it alot! very nice Pug you have. the Pug is causing me to loose sleep ever since I drove one at the LBS.
I wanted one for a long time but could not swing the cost of a new one so when this bike showed up on our local list at a ridiculous price I jumped on it.

In it's natural habitat...

Old 07-17-13, 08:44 PM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
^ super-duper badass.
Old 07-17-13, 10:15 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
That looks like a lovely ride.
Old 07-17-13, 10:27 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kehomer
"Real riding", anixi? Maybe you've got me pegged. I usually ride at a pretty leisurely pace. I'll leave the "real riding" for those who are in a hurry to get there. I'm strictly a road rider. I normally use the drops for headwinds and working my way up hills.
I really don't mean to bust your chops. I've become more of a "rivendell" rider since entering my 6th decade.
-riding in the drops give me more leverage on the brakes
-riding in the drops is more intuitive on shifting
-riding with a stem that gives a more upright position is more suitable for my generation, for the most part....
Old 07-18-13, 06:38 AM
kehomer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by anixi
I really don't mean to bust your chops. I've become more of a "rivendell" rider since entering my 6th decade.
-riding in the drops give me more leverage on the brakes
-riding in the drops is more intuitive on shifting
-riding with a stem that gives a more upright position is more suitable for my generation, for the most part....
No problemo, anixi. To each his own. I have 225mm Nitto Technomic stems on both of my road bikes. and a high Nitto Periscopa on the mountain bike I am in the middle of converting to drops. Will show pictures of it soon. By the way, I'm one decade up on you.
Old 07-18-13, 06:46 AM
kehomer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I wanted one for a long time but could not swing the cost of a new one so when this bike showed up on our local list at a ridiculous price I jumped on it.

In it's natural habita

Great picture! Looks like you can push down trees and make your own path. Enjoy!
Old 07-19-13, 07:50 AM
neo_pop_71

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Hello all... some nice bikes posted recently! I don't have any photo updates on my turquoise/yellow Yeti Ultimate inspired knock off as I've been sourcing remote shifter mounts. I've had to fabricate metal clamp straps for use on the tower mounts off a pair of Suntour Power thumb shifters. All this came about after reading an article published back in 1991 about the benefits of running drop bars in the dirt. I managed to snag the article so I could post it for some good reading... sort of like preaching to the already converted but I figured you guys would enjoy it just the same. I had installed some beat up Ultegra 8 speed bar end shifters I had but once i ran the cables on the On One Midge bar I hated it, so I went looking for alternatives and I really like what I found! The DKG remote shifters mounts are awesome and do a fabulous job of putting the shifters right up by your hands. I'll include some examples along with the article "Dropping In" written by Mike Varley plus it's got a great photo of my hero "Tomes" on the first page.

Have a great weekend guys!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SuntourDKG.JPG (81.5 KB, 507 views)
DKGshiftEASE01.jpg (57.5 KB, 512 views)
Dropping_In_01.jpg (101.8 KB, 515 views)
Dropping_In_02.jpg (63.6 KB, 498 views)
Dropping_In_03.jpg (99.9 KB, 490 views)
Dropping_In_04.jpg (74.1 KB, 471 views)
Old 07-19-13, 08:19 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts

Awesome! I want one so badly!
Old 07-19-13, 07:59 PM
pcdmiele

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
Hello all... some nice bikes posted recently! I don't have any photo updates on my turquoise/yellow Yeti Ultimate inspired knock off as I've been sourcing remote shifter mounts. I've had to fabricate metal clamp straps for use on the tower mounts off a pair of Suntour Power thumb shifters. All this came about after reading an article published back in 1991 about the benefits of running drop bars in the dirt. I managed to snag the article so I could post it for some good reading... sort of like preaching to the already converted but I figured you guys would enjoy it just the same. I had installed some beat up Ultegra 8 speed bar end shifters I had but once i ran the cables on the On One Midge bar I hated it, so I went looking for alternatives and I really like what I found! The DKG remote shifters mounts are awesome and do a fabulous job of putting the shifters right up by your hands. I'll include some examples along with the article "Dropping In" written by Mike Varley plus it's got a great photo of my hero "Tomes" on the first page.

Have a great weekend guys!!!
cool pics and article. a bit blurry but I was able to read it. Now I'm inspired.
Old 07-19-13, 09:54 PM
neo_pop_71

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Yeah, that was the best I could do pulling offline, the author contributes over on MTBR, I think I may hit him up to point me in the direction of what issue that came from, just so I'll have a clean copy to scan and upload. I read it again today and it inspired me too, so I finished up the 23.8 straps to replace the 22.2 straps on the Suntour Power Shifters. I got everything mounted in the right place, I had to play around with the position of the XT 7 speed shift pods. I wanted to be able to shift from the drops, tops, or hoods. The drops and hoods are no stretch, the top will do but I figure I'm not going to be riding much up on the flats of the Midge bar other than to stretch. I still have a bit more adjusting to do on the build but it's getting very close. Here are a few photos of the DKG extensions that I mounted today...

Attached Images
DKGshifteaseXT1.jpg (94.9 KB, 492 views)
DKGshifteaseXT2.jpg (100.1 KB, 482 views)
DKGshifteaseXT3.jpg (94.9 KB, 482 views)
Old 07-20-13, 02:48 PM
kehomer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
This my 1989 Panasonic MC-5500 that I am converting to road use. I used a Nitto stem, standard road handlebars, Deore thumbies, MTS pedals and Panasonic T-Serv 44mm (actually about 42mm) wide tires. I am trying to get used to the thumbies. They take up most of the space at the top of the rather narrow bars where I like to place my hands. It may shock some of you off roaders, but I may replace the thumbies with a set of Shimano 105 indexed (right) downtube shifters. A friend is working on enlarging the downtube clamp so it will fit the 32.2mm downtube of the Tange frame. The bike weighs 27 1/4 lb now. Not too bad for a stout MTB. Plan on getting a lighter saddle and lighter wheels. That will be countered by adding Aluminum fenders. I may also replace the somewhat garish lizard skin tape with something more subdued.

I really like the bike. It should make a great all rounder.

Last edited by kehomer; 07-21-13 at 06:37 PM. Reason: error
Old 07-20-13, 07:55 PM
jhboyy7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldpeddaller
PINK PANTECHNICON - Specialized Hard Rock

I finally finished the drop-bar conversion of the Specialized Hard rock MTB given to me by my nephew’s friend, who has emigrated to Sweden. My plan was to build it as a long-distance ‘rough stuff’ camping tourer. I put PINK bar tape on because – well, I’ve got a load of it and couldn’t imagine what it would look like on a bike!

The Suntour Command shifters flawlessly change the Shimano Deore LX/ 200 derailleurs, the fenders don’t rattle or rub, no overlap with the baggage – even the compass on the bell works. Big ‘fly in the ointment’ though – the first fifteen miles or so were delightful, gliding along on the Schwalbe City Jet slick tyres on quite rough back lanes, Biopace rings not really noticeable as being different.

Then the pain started. I had the sense to turn round at that point and head for home – lower back, front of my shoulders, wrists, neck, outer thighs just got worse and worse and the last three to five miles were a real ordeal. I had to admit that it’s just not a good fit for me. As an MTB it was fine for me to ride to the shops and back, but this frame’s now just too tall and stretched out in it’s current form to do me any favours.

Shame, because I think it looks very different and the components finally work really well together. Time for a rethink. I’ve still got a Saracen Tange MTB frame that was the original intended recipient of most of these parts. I'll need to remove the remnants of a broken steel seat post from the bottom of the seat tube and paint it. The Saracen frame’s a lot smaller and should fit me better.

OK so this is not as exotic or successful as some of the beautiful conversions previously posted, but for a first attempt at least it all worked mechanically, so far it's cost me next to nothing and it's a 'work in progress'.
i love what you did with the shifters
Old 07-20-13, 09:47 PM
jhboyy7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gt eunuch
Took it for a short ~1 mile test ride tonight to make sure brakes and everything was working as it should. The reach is a tad longer, but that is a welcome improvement as I was pondering a longer stem for this bike anyway. The reach to the shifters is actually quite nice, you simply rotate on the outside of your hand from the hoods to the flats, click, and then you are back in the hoods. After this week's commute, I will make some adjustments and wrap the bars in real bar tape lol.
this beautiful man. i love it!
Old 07-21-13, 08:14 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Oldpeddaller:

Too bad the frame isn't a good fit. The final result of the Hardrock is very nice. I love how it's integrated, the whole package was well thought out.
Unfortunately, the latter mtb frames all have long top tubes. And your frame is a large one on top of it. Even that 60mm stem wasn't short enough to compensate.

I had similar plans for a large '96 Diamondback Ascent EX frameset. I was planning to use a very short stem too. Seeing your difficulty with fit, I will focus on a smaller frame for my ultimate drop bar mtb build.

Thanks for a great post to this wonderful and informative thread. So many cool rigs in here.
Old 07-21-13, 03:00 PM
jowilson

Bikes: 1992 Trek 800 Antelope, 1971 Triumph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 07-21-13, 03:07 PM
jowilson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@frantik, @Bikedued, @likebike23.

I received the Tektro 720's on Friday and put them on along with the front housing stop. They fit nicely, have more than enough power, and look great! I forgot how much I loved the stopping power of cantis! Thanks for the help guys! I'll post some pics tomorrow hopefully!
Old 07-21-13, 09:02 PM
jhboyy7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
these are all absolutely beautiful! few questions: what width of handlebars do you use? does anyone have experience with the no flat tires? and last where the hell did he get that wide of rims?
Old 07-22-13, 07:52 AM
RunningBulldog

Bikes: Trek Mountain Bike, Novara Commuter, and now... a Frankenbike Road Warrior. Current top speed, 24.8 MPH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's mine in process. I can't find a road bike to fit my body proportions (short legs, long long torso) so I took this old Novara MTB, put a surly fork on it, and am proceeding with the associated dinking around with brakes, shifters, etc...
Attached Images
bike.jpg (98.5 KB, 507 views)
Old 07-22-13, 08:50 AM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^Looks pretty cool, aside from the "frankenbike" combinations: turkey levers, side-pull AND v-brake
I'd put a kick-stand on it, btw... that would make it a great errand bike
Old 07-22-13, 09:28 AM
RunningBulldog

Bikes: Trek Mountain Bike, Novara Commuter, and now... a Frankenbike Road Warrior. Current top speed, 24.8 MPH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a Frankenbike for sure but it *should* work... rode it up and down the alley yesterday (without any brakes at the time) and the wheelbase and rake seem OK.

I've been dying for a road bike but haven't been able to find one that will work for my weird body proportions.. I've been riding a lot and rying to build my top speed but my commuter bike and MTB are just too slow. Tires too fat or gearing too low. I need tall gears and skinny tires! STAT!

The last 2 weekends, I have either been passed by, or caught a glimpse of, the Saint Paul Bike racing team... they go zipping by me or pull away from me as though I'm not even moving. That's gotta change...
Old 07-22-13, 09:35 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Thought I would post some pics up of my 90's Schwinn High Plains DBC. Last part to put on was the hardest to bring home... Suntour barcons. Had a bit of last minute luck and got some alloy fenders off another bike for pennies.

The ride is great, very comfortable. Shifting is almost like index.
Attached Images
DSC00977.jpg (103.1 KB, 545 views)
DSC00979.jpg (98.6 KB, 488 views)
DSC00974.jpg (102.8 KB, 488 views)
DSC00976.jpg (102.5 KB, 473 views)
DSC00980.jpg (100.8 KB, 473 views)

Last edited by 3speedslow; 07-22-13 at 09:38 PM. Reason: missed words
Old 07-22-13, 10:21 PM
rockpilex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
MC Comp, now that's a good one for sure! I would like to add a high end Panasonic mtb to my mainly Schwinn-asonic fleet.

Finally got my Cimmaron LE dialed in. I backed off some of the weight wienie parts, particularly pedals and saddles. Swapped out the barcons with a set of 7 speed indexed Shimano bar ends I picked up. Love the VP beartrap pedals! Can't afford Frank's tires, so I have a set of Nashbar 26 - 1.25 city tires on the bike.

Original parts: crankset, RD, seat post (I think), stem, brake calipers. Started with a neglected garage sale bike.

As acquired, look closely, and you will see the quad crank setup:

Closeup of the quad MacGiver setup:

I kind of wish I would have taken it for a spin with that quad on there.

bill
You're riding this bike with a Flite and that cockpit-you must have a steel taint!
Old 07-23-13, 07:48 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by rockpilex
You're riding this bike with a Flite and that cockpit-you must have a steel taint!
Yeah, that saddle has to go for sure. My preferred saddle has been OOP for a decade.
Old 07-23-13, 10:34 AM
jowilson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update on the Trek 800:
Been waxing it all morning!

Almost at 800 miles. I'm gonna be getting some new bar tape within the next month or so. I'll probably get some Fizik bar tape, but I just can't decide on what kind.

The new Tektro CR720's which arrived just last Friday.

These cantilevers are the best treat I've ever given my Kool Stop pads! I almost endoed after I put them on because I was so used to pulling the lever hard with the caliper brake.
Attached Images
DSC_0231 (2).jpg (99.8 KB, 1144 views)
DSC_0237 (2).jpg (85.6 KB, 869 views)
DSC_0242.jpg (84.5 KB, 868 views)
DSC_0243.jpg (86.9 KB, 873 views)

Last edited by jowilson; 07-23-13 at 10:39 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.