Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Staying in control downhill

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-08, 01:48 AM
Bikeforumuser0033

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm having great fun on my recently acquired fixie but one thing I'm having problems with is going downhill fast.

On the steepest hills my top speed is limited by my highest spin, obviously. Once I've reached this RPM I'd like to stop the bike going faster using my legs rather than the brake but I can't get the hang of resisting the pedals when they're rotating really fast.

When I can't spin any faster and start trying to resist the pedals, the whole bike starts wobbling and feels like it's going unstable. I have to give-up and use the brake instead, which kind of sucks. If anyone could share any tips or techniques I'd be really grateful.

beagley
Old 06-28-08, 01:54 AM
K_phomma
Tarck bike dot com

Bikes: Fuji tarck '08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try skidding before the sudden outburst of going downhill very fast like.
Old 06-28-08, 02:48 AM
dervish
unofficial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wats wrong with using a brake? and for that matter, whats wrong w/ spinning really really fast? it improves your pedal stroke
Old 06-28-08, 03:07 AM
4doorhoor
misanthropist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are out of control, use the brake, thats why you have it. Right!?

Otherwise, learn to control your bike always and it won't be an issue.

Why is this a thread?

Common sense maybe?
Old 06-28-08, 03:22 AM
Bikeforumuser0033

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, let me rephrase the question --

It's normal to slow a fixed gear bike down by resisting the pedals, right? I've found that this becomes progressively more difficult with higher spin. Is this something that gets easier with experience? If so, any tips for improving?

beagley
Old 06-28-08, 05:02 AM
filtersweep

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Around here, there are some very steep grades--- the sort where I can easily hit 60 - 80 kph on a road bike. There is no way I can scrub off speed without using a brake on a fixed gear.

One thing I have done is progressively added gear inches to my drive train--- it is much easier taking a tall gear downhill and hobbling back up again than spinning out at a low speed (which means suffering both downhill and uphill).

Originally Posted by beagley
OK, let me rephrase the question --

It's normal to slow a fixed gear bike down by resisting the pedals, right? I've found that this becomes progressively more difficult with higher spin. Is this something that gets easier with experience? If so, any tips for improving?

beagley
Old 06-28-08, 07:20 AM
~Stuart~
oOooo, five bucks

Bikes: Giant OCR touring(06), Norco Storm (05)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just lock up and slide into the first solid object i see, looks cool and works!

most of the time i use my brake just before it gets to the point where i feel uncomfortable, and if i go to fast i see how long i can hold it, then i use the brake to get back to a speed i can control and then use my legs to keep there.... but toronto is pretty flat, so i only really had problems for the first month or so.
Old 06-28-08, 07:34 AM
iansmash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe it comes with practice...You will feel more unstable but that's because the pedals are moving really fast
Old 06-28-08, 07:41 AM
ryansexton
ALL PARTY

Bikes: Douglas Touring Cross Wise, Urbanite Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah. It was something I was scared ****less about. I hated bombing hills, and sometimes my ass starts to gets a jail treatment from my seat, however, after a while I have learned how to skid comfortably and to control my speed.

Learning how to spin faster also helps.
Old 06-28-08, 08:04 AM
chase.
out of shape

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
setting up your pedals with proper retention also helps a whole lot. if you're into clips & straps, nicer straps or doubles make your feet more connected. you could also try out powergrips, which are almost as good as a cinched-down strap setup but easier to exit if you need to.

just focus on making circles with your feet, but not applying power. the resistance provided by your legs will check your spin unless you have a really low gear.
Old 06-28-08, 08:18 AM
petebow
slow poke

Bikes: iro markV, 85ish fuji del ray 12 speed, 2000 specialized allez, 2007 specialized allez expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you dont have clips or clipless shoes it might be challenging os if you dont then get some would be my first suggestion. i recently did a couple 4 mile climbs with 4 mile downhills (brakeless, yeah i know ******** idea) out in the berkshires of western mass and i think the key is to maintain control from the beginning. dont jsut start bombing the hill then hope to maintain control later on. gradually spin faster until your at the best cadence for the hill. some hills ill go down doing about 25-30 mph but like for a big hill like the ones i did in the berkshires i really had to work hard to keep it down to about 15 mph or less. and of course just keep riding more and as you get more comfortable youll find out the best way for you.
Old 06-28-08, 08:56 AM
Pennywize
Street Pharmacist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pretty much practice.. the more you try it the more you'll get it you'll find your spot/timing to lock up at high speeds. keep that brake there!
Old 06-28-08, 09:37 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
The older folks like myself just run a front brake. It's so much easier, all around.

If the ride involves a lot of long, high speed descents, I take my single speed instead.

Last edited by roadfix; 06-28-08 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-28-08, 09:56 AM
Yoshi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've taken a brakeless fixed-gear down 8%+ grade hills. Do not like. I had to take it slow, resisting from the very top, had to do lots of skips, and still felt out of control. Plus I was riding with some friends who were on road bikes or had brakes, and they kept dropping me on the downhills.

But clearly it is possible to slow down, stop and maintain control on steep hills. It just isn't very much fun.
Old 06-28-08, 10:05 AM
ijgrant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found that hills are much easier when you have clipless pedals. I take hills standing up and resisting.

On the otherhand, you can ignore that, since I live in Winnipeg. our idea of hills is an underpass. because of that, It's not uncommon for people to run insane gear rations like 48x13 or 48x16 in my case
Old 06-28-08, 10:14 AM
roadfix
hello

Of all the years I've been riding my fixed and single speed in the mountains here in L.A., I've never seen a brakeless rider do these rides.....and I've seen quite a few fixed riders up there.
Old 06-28-08, 10:17 AM
ryansexton
ALL PARTY

Bikes: Douglas Touring Cross Wise, Urbanite Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nuts on stem skids are harder going fast, however skips and sit down skids are somewhat easier.
Old 06-28-08, 10:48 AM
nateintokyo

Bikes: SE Quadrangle, '82 Venus NJS, '03 Bianchi Pista, '86 P'sonic Mt Cat, Fat City Yo Eddy '91 + '93, B'cuda A2E, '86 Trek Elance 400, '88 Centurion D.Scott Expert, '88 Fisher Mt Tam (and no longer with me: SE OM Flyer, Umezawa/B-stone/Samson NJS)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
front brake.
Old 06-28-08, 10:59 AM
Thetank

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just use your brake, don't try to be like something you saw on the Internet cause it looks cool. You're gonna end up hurting yourself. Skids are fun when hanging out with buddies doing tricks and things like that but they're no means of slowing you down a steep hill.
Old 06-28-08, 11:54 AM
Bikeforumuser0033

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the helpful responses.

I should have made it clear, I was actually referring to just resisting the pedals to apply gradual braking rather than skidding.

Also, I wasn't proposing going brakeless, I was just thinking it would be neat to get to the stage where the brake was just there for emergencies. Reading the responses, though, I can see that braking downhill is the done thing.

Originally Posted by chase.
setting up your pedals with proper retention also helps a whole lot.
I'm using SPD clipless pedals, currently set fairly loose. I'll try tightening them up a bit.

Got back from a ride just now. Wanted to practise two things: chase's "focus on making circles with your feet, but not applying power" and (unrelated to this thread) jumping off a curb. While practising both, my feet came loose, so I definitely need to tighten-up the cleats.

Last edited by Bikeforumuser0033; 06-28-08 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-28-08, 12:13 PM
Live2Die
?que?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say standing up and focusing on putting your weight on your rear pedal will help keep you under that out of control spin. But as said above, skips and seated skids are the most controlled on a decent. I think that learning to descend very fast but being able to stop when needed is a very important skill, I often will practice by bombing a hill and choosing a spot to start an attempt to stop and work on how long it take to do so. until you get it though just use that brake
Old 06-28-08, 12:36 PM
diff_lock2
Senior_Member2

Bikes: Beater + Nishiki Bigfoot X-29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get out of your areo position, and stop pedaling.
Old 06-28-08, 12:43 PM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beagley
Thanks for the helpful responses.

I should have made it clear, I was actually referring to just resisting the pedals to apply gradual braking rather than skidding.

Also, I wasn't proposing going brakeless, I was just thinking it would be neat to get to the stage where the brake was just there for emergencies. Reading the responses, though, I can see that braking downhill is the done thing.

I'm using SPD clipless pedals, currently set fairly loose. I'll try tightening them up a bit.

Got back from a ride just now. Wanted to practise two things: chase's "focus on making circles with your feet, but not applying power" and (unrelated to this thread) jumping off a curb. While practising both, my feet came loose, so I definitely need to tighten-up the cleats.

You'll get better with time as your spin improves. The brake is always the way to (IMO). The faster you can stop, the faster you can ride.
Old 06-28-08, 02:35 PM
Yoshi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
Of all the years I've been riding my fixed and single speed in the mountains here in L.A., I've never seen a brakeless rider do these rides.....and I've seen quite a few fixed riders up there.
I have some friends who have done mountains in California (not LA though) on brakeless track bikes. They would put their foot on the rear tire to slow down while descending.

But they are kind of crazy.
Old 06-28-08, 05:08 PM
roadfix
hello

Originally Posted by Yoshi
I have some friends who have done mountains in California (not LA though) on brakeless track bikes. They would put their foot on the rear tire to slow down while descending.

But they are kind of crazy.
Yeah, but most roadies who ride fixed are not into that style of riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.