Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

School me on Carbon wrapped bars and forks..

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-23, 07:27 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

My friend has carbon bars ~ carbon laid over a thin aluminum handle-bar, together they work to make a solid lightweight mechanically-safe handle bar.
I have heard similar things about forks. Another guy says his carbon forks are just 'wrapped' in a carbon layer but are 'really only aluminum'
In that case too, I am pretty sure the carbon is structural, a thin layer of carbon fiber over an aluminum fork. Whats the story with this method of construction?
Is it common & safe? The forks, when I got to see them in person, were not much lighter than a conventional fork. What gives?

Last edited by kraftwerk; 08-02-23 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-01-23, 08:09 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,689 Times in 967 Posts
Things aren't done that way much any more. To a large degree, I think the carbon over x had a lot to do with manufacturer production learning process. All the strength expected but able to offload some stress to a "stronger" and "lighter" material. I sort of always considered carbon bonded over aluminum to be an intermediary step in bike part evolution.

I have a bar, stem, & seat post so constructed as a gift from some random guy on craigslist. I think the biggest benefit is the combined different materials create some perceived safety factor. Not that all things are all marketing...But grams are grams. They are lighter than the big name, high quality aluminum equivalent. I'll give them that. But not lighter than a recent quality full carbon part.

IOW: There probably isn't much to school you on.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 08-01-23, 08:27 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4235 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,355 Posts
My understanding about carbon wrapped tubes (be they bars or blades) is that it's about the need to compress the fiber/epoxy with an external vacuum bag, and not an internal bladder in a costly two part mold. I'll add that most of the top layers in fiber frames are the cosmetic/scuff layer and not intended to be of structural benefit. There was a time when a fiber weave frame finish would add many $ to the perceived value, regardless of what was under that top layer. Andy
Old 08-01-23, 09:26 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 795 Posts
I have a Ritchey aluminum stem wrapped in woven CF. I've always considered the CF wrap to be cosmetic. I have no idea if it's lighter and/or stronger than a similar era Ritchey aluminum (e.g. WCS) stem.
Old 08-02-23, 03:48 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,143 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I have a Ritchey aluminum stem wrapped in woven CF. I've always considered the CF wrap to be cosmetic. I have no idea if it's lighter and/or stronger than a similar era Ritchey aluminum (e.g. WCS) stem.
That's what I was told by the area Raleigh USA rep when they came out with a Technium mountain bike whose main triangle consisted of carbon fiber-wrapped aluminum tubes. Wrapping on a cosmetic layer of carbon fiber added very little to the cost of construction while requiring no additional R&D investment.
Old 08-02-23, 05:36 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 879 Posts
galvanic corrosion
Old 08-02-23, 07:01 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4235 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,355 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
galvanic corrosion
Carbon can and does react with Al. So any wrapping should see the same insulation between the wrap and the inside tube that a carbon tube needs in a Al socket. Andy
Old 08-02-23, 01:24 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I learned something... Thanks Bikeforum braintrust!