Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Fillet Brazed Schwinn Superior and Sport Tourer

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Fillet Brazed Schwinn Superior and Sport Tourer

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-14, 08:30 AM
oldbikenewbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
26'' Sports Tourer frames...

I had posted these in another Thread, but figured maybe a few of you missed them...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC02845.jpg (103.1 KB, 128 views)
DSC02853.jpg (106.8 KB, 117 views)
DSC02860.jpg (107.2 KB, 118 views)
DSC02864.jpg (107.6 KB, 182 views)
DSC02876.jpg (105.1 KB, 126 views)
DSC02882.jpg (102.3 KB, 116 views)
DSC02883.jpg (104.5 KB, 114 views)
DSC02889.jpg (104.1 KB, 117 views)
Old 07-08-14, 09:52 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
There is a 22" green 1971 Super Sport on the local Craigslist today. I went and had a look. It wasn't the one for me, but it wasn't a basket case, thought others might like to know...
The listing expired so I lowballed him. Condition: sans front wheel (shown with the front from my Paramount so it would stand up), otherwise pretty complete. Paint in amazingly good shape considering the seller found it behind a barn. Rear wheel chalupa'd and might be a basket case, so is the RD; I think they might have been crushed together at some point. First impression: it's HEAVY. Plan for now is to get some wheels and get it running with an RD that I have on hand, and try it for a while. If I like it I'll start upgrading to alloy parts or keep looking for a higher model.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-08-14 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-09-14, 08:24 AM
oldbikenewbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
The listing expired so I lowballed him. Condition: sans front wheel (shown with the front from my Paramount so it would stand up), otherwise pretty complete. Paint in amazingly good shape considering the seller found it behind a barn. Rear wheel chalupa'd and might be a basket case, so is the RD; I think they might have been crushed together at some point. First impression: it's HEAVY. Plan for now is to get some wheels and get it running with an RD that I have on hand, and try it for a while. If I like it I'll start upgrading to alloy parts or keep looking for a higher model.

Compared to todays bikes, it weighs a ton.
But...I had a Schwinn Continental in the same size and orange color as my Sports Tourer. If I had friends lift the Continental first, the Sports Tourer then seemed like a featherweight, lol.
Old 07-13-14, 01:52 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
hmm. So I picked up my very first Schwinn today. A March '72 Super Sport as far as I can tell.

more pics

https://picasaweb.google.com/1133647...innSuperSport#

My plan was to get it functional but keep it ratty so I could take it to my NYC office and leave it there. I still might do that, but reading this thread kinda makes me want to do something different with it. I like the blank canvas-ness of an American made frame. I like how the lack of lugs means a decent powder coat will look great. And honestly, this $30 frame is so ugly and beat up I'd love to see it have a new life.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but it will likely involve Bilenky.

Perhaps canti studs with a 650b conversion?

Hmm.

I'm open to ideas.

Old 07-14-14, 06:28 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
hmm. So I picked up my very first Schwinn today. A March '72 Super Sport as far as I can tell.

more pics

https://picasaweb.google.com/1133647...innSuperSport#

My plan was to get it functional but keep it ratty so I could take it to my NYC office and leave it there. I still might do that, but reading this thread kinda makes me want to do something different with it. I like the blank canvas-ness of an American made frame. I like how the lack of lugs means a decent powder coat will look great. And honestly, this $30 frame is so ugly and beat up I'd love to see it have a new life.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but it will likely involve Bilenky.

Perhaps canti studs with a 650b conversion?

Hmm.

I'm open to ideas.
The nice thing about early-70's Super Sports is there's enough of em around that you're not destroying history by making huge changes to them. A number of guys here have really gone crazy with a resto-mod or neo-classic build. Cantis, a 3-piece crank conversion and 650B's would make a great bike that could handle more abuse than one made with thinwall triple-butted tubing.
Old 07-14-14, 12:38 PM
ScheissSchiess

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plan for now is to get some wheels and get it running with an RD that I have on hand, and try it for a while. If I like it I'll start upgrading to alloy parts or keep looking for a higher model.
I am currently upgrading a Super Sport (that I got sort of ripped off on because I am a newb, but that's another story). What wheels would you suggest? The current wheels are too bent. They are 27" x 1&1/4", I assume steel. Anything I need to consider other than the 27" x 1&1/4" size? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-14, 02:23 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by ScheissSchiess
I am currently upgrading a Super Sport (that I got sort of ripped off on because I am a newb, but that's another story). What wheels would you suggest? The current wheels are too bent. They are 27" x 1&1/4", I assume steel. Anything I need to consider other than the 27" x 1&1/4" size? Thanks in advance.
Well, I haven't dug into mine yet. But...

The rear wheel is a 5-speed so it will be 120mm wide. If I couldn't find one, I was planning to just cram in a 126mm-wide 6/7 speed wheel, since that seems to be what's available today in new 27" wheelsets like this one.

I haven't checked yet to see if 700c wheels will work. The brake shoes would need to have another 4mm of adjustment down. The slots in the caliper arms are huge, so it might be possible. In order to use a modern wheel with a freehub it would need to be 130mm for road wheels, or 135mm for hybrid wheels, which use MTB hubs, and the frame would need to be respaced.

I think a hybrid or compact double drive train would go great on this bike. There are adapters for putting square taper bottom brackets in the one-piece shell. However it's a lot of parts to buy or transplant.
Old 07-14-14, 03:45 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Well, I haven't dug into mine yet. But...

The rear wheel is a 5-speed so it will be 120mm wide. If I couldn't find one, I was planning to just cram in a 126mm-wide 6/7 speed wheel, since that seems to be what's available today in new 27" wheelsets like this one.

I haven't checked yet to see if 700c wheels will work. The brake shoes would need to have another 4mm of adjustment down. The slots in the caliper arms are huge, so it might be possible. In order to use a modern wheel with a freehub it would need to be 130mm for road wheels, or 135mm for hybrid wheels, which use MTB hubs, and the frame would need to be respaced.

I think a hybrid or compact double drive train would go great on this bike. There are adapters for putting square taper bottom brackets in the one-piece shell. However it's a lot of parts to buy or transplant.
Rear spacing on early 70's SS & ST is 126mm. Most 5 & 6 speed freewheels will work with no rear triangle spacing changes necessary. 27x1-1/2" aluminum wheels were standard equipment, with quick release 36 spoke high flange hubs. Many 5- or 6-speed 700C wheels will work if the hub spacing is narrow enough, and if there's enough adjustment on the calipers, as mentioned.

Last edited by Hudson308; 07-14-14 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 04:09 PM
m3rle

Bikes: 1990 Specialized StumpJumper 1970 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here are two Super Sports I've been working on.

1973 built as a city bike

1970 restored stock
Attached Images
photo (4).jpg (103.0 KB, 243 views)
photo.jpg (26.7 KB, 229 views)
SS_full.jpg (107.0 KB, 227 views)

Last edited by m3rle; 07-16-14 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-15-14, 08:54 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Originally Posted by m3rle
Here are two Super Sports I've been working on.

1973 built as a city bike

1970 restored stock
Very nice! We don't see many pre- '71 SS's with the chrome fork. Does that one also have the forged rear dropouts with integral derailleur hanger? If so, how about a closeup?
Old 07-15-14, 09:53 PM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I picked up a $25 Sports Tourer in Kool Lemon a couple of years ago. It was in really poor condition, the worst of it being a rusted fork crown. The paint was so thin you could see through it, so if I were forming an impression of Schwinn quality based on this one bike I would say their quality was bad. It seemed very unlike other Schwinns that passed through my hands. I eventually parted it out due to my lack of ambition for another project!
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 07-16-14, 12:21 AM
m3rle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a close up of the Huret dropout. Apparently to put on, say, a vintage SunTour derailleur, you'd have to fab a washer to fit the hanger.

These forums helped me a great deal in restoring this bike and learning the history of this particular model year. This bike is such a pleasure to ride.

Attached Images
SS_dropout.jpg (88.4 KB, 234 views)
SS_tail3.jpg (103.3 KB, 124 views)
IMG_0480.jpg (97.2 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by m3rle; 07-16-14 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 12:25 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by Hudson308
Rear spacing on early 70's SS & ST is 126mm. Most 5 & 6 speed freewheels will work with no rear triangle spacing changes necessary. 27x1-1/2" aluminum wheels were standard equipment, with quick release 36 spoke high flange hubs. Many 5- or 6-speed 700C wheels will work if the hub spacing is narrow enough, and if there's enough adjustment on the calipers, as mentioned.
Having now taken my Super Sport apart, it is definitely spaced 120mm for 5-speed. With help from @Metacortex , the S/N says it was brazed in '71, the green color says it was built in '72.
Old 07-23-14, 09:40 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 388 Posts
Here's a close up of the Huret dropout. Apparently to put on, say, a vintage SunTour derailleur, you'd have to fab a washer to fit the hanger.

These forums helped me a great deal in restoring this bike and learning the history of this particular model year. This bike is such a pleasure to ride.
There's been a couple threads about how to make an adapter washer. It's not terribly tough. Fortunately, my Superior came with the correct washer:

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-24-14, 09:47 AM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
I picked up a '77 Schwinn Superior today for practically nothing. I've previously restored a '72 SS so when this came up I had to get it. It's extremely rough, so I have a few questions.

Somewhere along the line, the front derailleur was lost. With this tubing size, any suggestions as to what to look for? I want friction.

I'm not going to bother going with the original seat post. It's rusted and heavy. I'll chase down a better candidate (26.8 correct?) and save time. Again, any suggestions?

The paint is pretty much shot and the decals nonexistent, so I have a decision to make here. It has surface rust in spots throughout the frame and if I address this and want it to be more than a beater, I'm just going to follow through with sanding it down to bare metal. People who have tried to spray bomb their bikes, is it just a waste of time and should I just get a proper paint and be done with it?

Part of me wants to keep this around as a long term project and go all modern with the components. I'm a big fan of the way the SS rides and it's my size. Outside of the obvious money issue, any reason as to why I should avoid this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-14, 11:23 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by toavii
The paint is pretty much shot and the decals nonexistent, so I have a decision to make here. It has surface rust in spots throughout the frame and if I address this and want it to be more than a beater, I'm just going to follow through with sanding it down to bare metal. People who have tried to spray bomb their bikes, is it just a waste of time and should I just get a proper paint and be done with it?

Part of me wants to keep this around as a long term project and go all modern with the components. I'm a big fan of the way the SS rides and it's my size. Outside of the obvious money issue, any reason as to why I should avoid this?

Thanks in advance.
If my paint was shot I'd drop it off at a powdercoater and pay them to deal with the paint removal. Powdercoat seems to have the same sort of slightly flat color as the originals. How is the chrome on your fork? Want to keep it or paint over it?

I'd love to do the same, like @Scooper: 1973 61cm Schwinn Super Sport with 2009 Campy Comp Triple on velospace, the place for bikes. I guess the question is how whole-hog do you go? He has basically replaced everything except the frame, fork, and headset.
Old 07-24-14, 11:42 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked 2,206 Times in 967 Posts
Just my 2 cents.

I recently upgraded my '93 Cannondale R600 to 9 speed Nashbar/Microshift brifters and derailleurs and a Nashbar compact crankset (50-34). I'm running a SRAM 11-34 cassette. I did this mostly on the cheap for about $250 including the ISIS BB. I had the wheels so I was set there, but if you can find some decent used wheels, you could convert the classy Superior to a modern ride for a minimum amount of dollars.

I should mention the RD and FD shown are not what I'm now running. I should also say that the shifting is spot on and this is my first compact double and I really like it.

P.S. Those are Nashbar wheels that I had picked up for another project a few years back. IIRC I paid about $130. Checked Nashbar and this is a current sale for these Vuelta wheels which for $120 would look sweet on the Superior.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 07-24-14 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 12:25 PM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

If my paint was shot I'd drop it off at a powdercoater and pay them to deal with the paint removal. Powdercoat seems to have the same sort of slightly flat color as the originals. How is the chrome on your fork? Want to keep it or paint over it?

I'd love to do the same, like @Scooper: 1973 61cm Schwinn Super Sport with 2009 Campy Comp Triple on velospace, the place for bikes. I guess the question is how whole-hog do you go? He has basically replaced everything except the frame, fork, and headset.
At first blush, the chrome on the fork isn't great, flaking in one spot. If I was to powder coat, I'd just have the whole thing done and not have to worry about it later down the line. I'm just not a huge fan of the thicker and duller look of powder coat though.

So, anyone have any suggestions about what to do for a front derailleur?
Old 07-24-14, 12:43 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I picked up a '77 Schwinn Superior today for practically nothing. I've previously restored a '72 SS so when this came up I had to get it. It's extremely rough, so I have a few questions.

Somewhere along the line, the front derailleur was lost. With this tubing size, any suggestions as to what to look for? I want friction.
The seat tube OD is 1-5/32" (29.4mm), however most 1-1/8" (28.6mm) derailleurs should fit. I know you aren't looking for an original, but in '77 the Superior would have come with a Schwinn Approved (Huret) GT-285. That unit was slightly updated for '78 as the GT-295, there is a GT-295 currently on eBay: 28 6 Huret Schwinn Approved Front Derailleur | eBay

I'm not going to bother going with the original seat post. It's rusted and heavy. I'll chase down a better candidate (26.8 correct?) and save time. Again, any suggestions?
The original steel seatpost is indeed 26.8mm in diameter and 9" long, and weighs about 5.8oz. I purchased this Kalloy aluminum replacement and it weighs about 5.4oz, so there is not much of a weight savings there. But the price is right and it looks nicer than rusted steel. <g>

Last edited by Metacortex; 07-24-14 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 01:13 PM
toavii

Originally Posted by Metacortex
The seat tube OD is 1-5/32" (29.4mm), however most 1-1/8" (28.6mm) derailleurs should fit. I know you aren't looking for an original, but in '77 the Superior would have come with a Schwinn Approved (Huret) GT-285. That unit was slightly updated for '78 as the GT-290, there is a NOS GT-290 currently on eBay:
Thank you.

I ordered it as I wanted a friction FD. Regardless of which direction I go down the line, I much prefer friction up front so I can trim. Felt a little weird paying more for that than I did the bike though... Ha
Old 07-24-14, 01:27 PM
Metacortex

I ordered it as I wanted a friction FD...
Cool, it should fit perfectly. Note that I incorrectly stated it was a GT-290, that would have a 1" clamp, the one you got is a GT-295 with the larger 1-1/8" clamp.
Old 07-24-14, 01:39 PM
toavii

Since I referenced it, here's my SS. It mostly pulls spare bike duties or is borrowed to a friend for a ride from time to time.

Old 07-24-14, 04:47 PM
m3rle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Speaking of front derailleurs, mine is having trouble shifting to the large chain ring. The arm on the FD 'bottoms out' before the chain is engaged. The adjustment screw is open all the way. One thing I was going to try was rotating the FD so the back end will possibly swing wider and get the chain on. Any suggestions?

And great picture of the washer. Thanks. I could almost trace that and make a template.
Old 07-24-14, 07:07 PM
Metacortex

You can see the official Schwinn service manual information on properly setting up your front derailleur here: SLDB 1969-70 Repair Manual - Derailleurs pg 517
Old 07-24-14, 09:57 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 388 Posts
Speaking of front derailleurs, mine is having trouble shifting to the large chain ring. The arm on the FD 'bottoms out' before the chain is engaged. The adjustment screw is open all the way. One thing I was going to try was rotating the FD so the back end will possibly swing wider and get the chain on. Any suggestions?

And great picture of the washer. Thanks. I could almost trace that and make a template.
I would do as you suggest and rotate the derailleur. Once that's done, you can bend the front lip of the inner cage outward with pliers to get a little more push. Don't worry about it- that's how we did it back in the day.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.