Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2016! how was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2016! how was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 06:25 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
I got yelled at by a cyclist this morning.

Anywho, would you guys pass a vehicle mid K-turn?
If I'd been the cyclist I probably would have done as you mentioned and slowed my pedaling down a bit. I would assume you had not seen me and would do what is needed to not get hit. I would like to think that after seeing you pull out as though you were turning around, I could anticipate your next movements. After doing your final reverse and starting to go forward, I would have opted to go behind, not in front.
Old 07-01-16, 06:28 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Decent ride this morning. Traffic seemed lighter as I'm sure some are taking off to extend the 3 day weekend to 4 days.

Mid-year mileage came to 2,510. I'm on track to hit 5,000 again this year. However, next week will be a big zero as I'll be in Florida with the family. I hear Gulf Coast beaches are closing due to algae and bacteria, so I'll see how that goes.
Old 07-01-16, 06:31 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
I got yelled at by a cyclist this morning.

I live on a busy bike route. I can't/not allowed to bike these days, so I drive to work.

My street is blocked at one end not allowing cars to go through, cars only can turn right. I tend to park facing away from the blocked end. Yesterday I parked facing the blocked end. It is easier for me to execute a K-turn then to go all the way down and around the block to head to work.

So this morning a K-turn is what I did. I have attached a diagram. I noticed the cyclist over a block away as I was starting, he was far enough for me to complete my turn with him just stopping pedaling for a beat or two.

Get to point three as I am finished and getting ready to pull ahead and clear the lane with my car(truck) when he passes directly in front of me. I sound my horn. He stops and starts yelling at me.

He says I need to pay attention and wait. I told him it was stupid to pass in front (or behind) of a vehicle executing a K-turn. He said I needed to pay attention, I said I was paying attention and that is why I sounded my horn. It went back and forth him saying I was wrong for not looking and sounding my horn. Me saying it was a foolish, dangerous, and poor decision to pass a vehicle doing a K-turn. It ended with him saying maybe we are both wrong. Me, not wanting to concede the last word said nope you're wrong.

Anywho, would you guys pass a vehicle mid K-turn?
Not unless you see me and were willing to stop and let me go. Seems like the cyclist should be over here in NYC. I see a few guys making dicey decisions through busy intersections and other places. Some common turns I encounter over here are illegal U-turns. Still have to slow down and/or stop since I don't know that the driver sees me and if they will take up more than the lane doing the turn. Cop cars still do it too. Last close encounter with a car was on a side street (98th between Madison and 5th Ave). I usually turn on there toward the end of my ride. Was on the right side (its a one way), came up on a black SUV. No blinker as usual to indicate that he was going into an open parking space. I also slowed down but almost got squeezed into the parked car next to me right before the open parking space he was trying to go into. I was looking straight into his driver side mirror but I guess he didn't see me. A lady on the sidewalk told him he cut me off. I held my right arm up doing a silent Italian version of "Cosa fai!" We exchanged a few words. Glad I usually try to stay behind the cars since most drivers around here don't know the meaning of a turn signal. Fun times...

Last edited by ptempel; 07-01-16 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-01-16, 07:04 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Was a good park n' ride in this morning, around 71F. Am expecting rain later this afternoon. They claim up to half an inch with the heavy part around 5pm. Maybe I can beat it. Maybe it will be me second shower. Will see... Did the shorter ride today since I rode in from home the last two days. So will still have ~120 miles for this week. Not bad for three days (was off Mon and Tue).
Old 07-01-16, 07:26 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
It was dark, windy, and raining when I woke up but by the time I was ready to hit the road it was sunny and calm. I'll take it! Good and safe holiday weekend to my fellow Americans
Old 07-01-16, 07:37 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,654 Times in 959 Posts
Actually sprinkled on me this morning. Just the right amount too. Just enough to cool me down so that when I got to work I was dryer than yesterday.
Old 07-01-16, 08:26 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Nice ride home, way lower humidity, and I was a good bit quicker than Tuesday.

Mid-year mileage is just shy of 2,000, and usually I have big numbers from August into October, so hopefully I'll be able to hit 4,000 miles this year. I've had a banner year so far. I kept my miles up nicely throughout the winter unlike previous years. The lowest month in the last 12 months was December in which I logged 256 miles. Highest month so far this year was 397 for May.
Old 07-01-16, 08:58 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
good ride even if it was super humid. (glasses fogged, water condensed on the lenses, and super sticky) I do think it rained a little on me on a couple points while along the greenway under the trees. (could have just been dripping off trees) We had a big storm last night wife and I both awakened to the terrible sound our phones make for ALERTS. It scared us both. I enjoyed the even less traffic of people making it a longer weekend too.

mid year mileage for me is 3057 and 2468 of that commuting mileage. I think I might be on track to break 5000 miles this year.

June I had my highest month ever with 812 miles
Old 07-01-16, 11:24 AM
RobbiRobbi
Steel City, Steel Bike

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I took the bus today, but yesterday's ride was lovely. Usually when I ride to work in the morning I'll ride to downtown in the afternoon and catch a bus from there (I live at the top of a hill), but I'm trying to expand how much the commute I cover by bike. Yesterday I left downtown, rode about 3 miles of trail along the river then took a long back and forth ramp up to an overpass where the bus stop is. It was actually kind of pretty, in a concrete and steel kind of way. I think I'll make this part of my regular route.
Old 07-01-16, 12:28 PM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Drove today.. I was so tired last night it hurt! Have the next 4 days to recover.
Old 07-04-16, 02:29 AM
fareandwell

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TIL that road shoes have absolutely 0 grip on certain surfaces and went absolutely flying down a ramp onto the ferry. Bike in one hand and coffee in the other meant the coffee went flying in the air and soaked me in the process. Hahaha.

Good commute though.

Old 07-04-16, 11:34 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Where are all the commuters today? Is there some kind of holiday or something?

Us Canadians had our holiday on Friday, so I'm back to work today. Nice uneventful ride in. I didn't get much sleep last night, and there was a moment during a nice chill part of the ride where I think maybe I possibly entered the very early stage of dozing off, only to be jolted awake by my fixie pedals refusing to stop rotating.
Old 07-05-16, 04:59 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 94 Posts
After having a nice long weekend off from work but so much extra time riding I am tired today. Though I did commute by bike and it sprinkled the last two and a half miles to work.
Old 07-05-16, 05:46 AM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
It rained over night and the roads were wet. I just got done washing the bike here at the shop.
Old 07-05-16, 07:13 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My first commute since June 23 as I've been on vacation since then. I did lots of riding while on vacation, on roads and rail trails near Madison, WI. The weather was great aside from a couple of days of heat and humidity the first weekend we were there. It's going to be tough reacclimating myself the high heat and humidity of North Carolina. Temps are supposed to be in the mid to upper 90s all week here with very high humidity and heat indexes over 100.
Old 07-05-16, 07:18 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A nice and quiet ride, as always since I switched job last year. I'm now able to take the bike path almost all the way. the bike path is 300 meters away from home and 500 meters away from work. no more cars and not a lot of other cyclists/runners/anybody at 6h30 in the morning.
Old 07-05-16, 10:14 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Super duper humid this morning. Chased a bit of rain, and it actually started raining about 5 minutes after I got to work. When it's this humid my gloves get so wet in the morning that it gets fairly uncomfortable. I actually brought a 2nd pair of gloves with me, and switched them out when I was about 4 miles from the office. Felt much better to have dry gloves for most of the remaining commute. *edit* also, headwind. May have some showers this afternoon but should have a nice tailwind.

I rode a little bit over the weekend. Took the utility bike and trailer to the grocery store on Saturday evening, and then hooked up the Trail-a-bike yesterday and took my son 8.7 miles round trip to my parents' house and back. He enjoyed it, but got pretty hot. And he had a black backpack on his back with some toys in it, which I'm sure wasn't very comfortable. The one thing I don't like about the TAB is that I can't use my trunk bag with it. I guess I need to get some real panniers for that purpose.
Old 07-05-16, 10:22 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
Brought a bike in the back of the truck for another lunch ride, since the day care situation was looking chancy when I left home. I thought I might need to hurry home and deal with it. I guess I'd rather have a long lunch ride than the shorter ride home at max heat, so it's ok.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-05-16, 11:23 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,497 Times in 1,449 Posts
Today is the first work day in a while I didn't ride to work. I was sleepy, and the forecast called for rain. As often happens, I look back and realize I could have done it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-05-16, 12:27 PM
SteffyMacD

Bikes: Bianchi Cortina Dama

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got caught in heavy rain riding in. First time I've commuted in the rain and it made me realize I REALLY need to get a poncho. Also really need to get a rack on my bike, even if I just stick a milk crate on it. I hate having my backpack on my back while I ride.
Old 07-05-16, 12:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,497 Times in 1,449 Posts
Folks, this is my periodic reminder that if you put your location in your profile, we will enjoy reading your posts more, knowing where you are. It gets displayed every time you post.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-05-16, 12:35 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteffyMacD
Got caught in heavy rain riding in. First time I've commuted in the rain and it made me realize I REALLY need to get a poncho. Also really need to get a rack on my bike, even if I just stick a milk crate on it. I hate having my backpack on my back while I ride.
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry about getting caught in the rain.

But great attitude and seeing that it isn't all that bad.

I always found fenders and shoe covers were an excellent investment. Even if you just do the grocery bag socks to keep you feet dry (you will need another set of shoes at work)
Old 07-05-16, 12:37 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Folks, this is my periodic reminder that if you put your location in your profile, we will enjoy reading your posts more, knowing where you are. It gets displayed every time you post.
This!

Please do this. As fellow commuters we like to know where you are so we can help you with issues or other things that come up. Or we can mention the comments to someone in the geographical area. Or meet up for a coffee.
Old 07-05-16, 12:38 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Haven't commuted in a little while. Not very motivated while it's so hot out. I have found myself wanting to do more Fred Sled rides. The commuting I have been doing is just the short ride from the Better Half's office to mine...but the afternoon ride puts me in peak heat. No relief in sight this week
Old 07-05-16, 12:40 PM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
Haven't commuted in a little while. Not very motivated while it's so hot out. I have found myself wanting to do more Fred Sled rides. The commuting I have been doing is just the short ride from the Better Half's office to mine...but the afternoon ride puts me in peak heat. No relief in sight this week
What are Fred Sled rides?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.