Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Need a Inexpensive messenger bag

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 04:40 PM
poormanbiking
Human most of the time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any suggestions or recommendations? Need one big enough for a laptop and a change of clothes. I have a Samsonite backpack but it's overkill.
Old 04-19-14, 04:42 PM
N0WBIE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amazon.com: UTG Multi-functional Tactical Messenger Bag - Dark Earth: ClothingWould this work?
Old 04-19-14, 04:42 PM
Archery_Queen
It's Queen to you!

Bikes: Roadmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by poormanbiking
Any suggestions or recommendations? Need one big enough for a laptop and a change of clothes. I have a Samsonite backpack but it's overkill.
Walmart? If you're looking for a biking specific one there are no cheap ones I have found...
Old 04-19-14, 05:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by poormanbiking
If you plan on carrying lots of stuff then spend extra money and buy something good. Cheap messenger bags are uncomfortable and they not waterproof. When it comes to bags, you get what you pay for.
Old 04-19-14, 09:39 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If you plan on carrying lots of stuff then spend extra money and buy something good. Cheap messenger bags are uncomfortable and they not waterproof. When it comes to bags, you get what you pay for.
I couldn't agree more.

If price is seriously a concern, I'd try ebay. You might have to clean up the bag a bit, but a decent messenger bag should be bombproof enough that it will continue to perform its function for quite some time.

It's not the perfect bag, but I like my large Timbuk 2 messenger bag, and it's stood up to almost daily use for 5 1/2 years without any problems. There's quite a few of these out there on the used market - a medium should meet your needs just fine.
Old 04-19-14, 09:49 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Craigslist and freecycle are also options?

- Andy
Old 04-20-14, 04:55 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 for eBay,plenty of reasonably priced bags there. Might also check your local CL.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 04-20-14, 06:53 PM
puckett129

Bikes: 80's Treks, cargo bike, Lugged LeMond, Eddy Merckx 7-11, Ciocc resto-mod, All City MM disc, and some more

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+2 for eBay... you can get a nice Timbuk2 for a very reasonable price. They last too. I have had one of mine since 1998.
Old 04-20-14, 09:30 PM
jvsabas

Bikes: Holdsworth Competition, Pogliaghi Road, Surly Cross Check, Sette Ace, SE Draft, Trek 970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What do you consider inexpensive? Banjo Brothers makes a couple messenger bags $65 and $80 . They also have a range of commuter backpacks.

I'll vouch for their quality and warranty. It has a tough build and contents stay dry during a pouring rain. About three years bac, I had my U-lock in my left side large commuter backpack pocket when the lock snagged a passenger side rear view mirror as I passed a pickup truck. It tore the pocket at the seams and opened a 1 in gap in the main compartment. I sent the pack to Banjo Brothers expecting to pay for the repair. Banjo Brothers opted to exchange it for free.

I own a large commuter backpack and a large messenger backpack and have owned a medium and large Timbuk2. Bag build quality is on par, and while Timbuk2 does have better style, the price difference is significantly higher.
Old 04-20-14, 10:06 PM
Metropdx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=poormanbiking;16685673]Any suggestions or recommendations? Need one big enough for a laptop and a change of clothes. I have a Samsonite backpack but it's overkill.[/QUO

IMHO the best thing you can do for yourself would be to save up a little bit and get a quality bag. I am a firm believer in cry once (trust me I am just about as poor if maybe not more so than you). Best thing I did was save up and buy a Chrome Messenger bag- waterproof, durable and lifetime guarantee. I have owned this bag for 5 years now- no problems and fits comfortable. A good base model is about $120, if your finances simply do not permit you to do that, then take the advice given above. But if you can save up a bit and hold off the "gotta have it now" jitters- you won't be disappointed

Old 04-21-14, 08:19 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We had to delete a couple of posts. Just a reminder if you have items to sell, you need to start a thread in the Marketplace forums. Sales are not allowed in the regular forums. Thanks for your cooperation.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 04-21-14, 10:21 AM
Kevin stafford

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 10 Posts
If you have a local Goodwill store, check there often, I have purchased an REI messenger bag $5, REI pannier $5, Timbuk2 messenger bag $5, Jandd laptop and Jandd garment panniers for $5 each, and a set of small nashbar panniers for $5, you just need to keep looking.
Old 04-23-14, 09:36 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jvsabas
What do you consider inexpensive? Banjo Brothers makes a couple messenger bags $65 and $80 . They also have a range of commuter backpacks.

I'll vouch for their quality and warranty. It has a tough build and contents stay dry during a pouring rain. About three years bac, I had my U-lock in my left side large commuter backpack pocket when the lock snagged a passenger side rear view mirror as I passed a pickup truck. It tore the pocket at the seams and opened a 1 in gap in the main compartment. I sent the pack to Banjo Brothers expecting to pay for the repair. Banjo Brothers opted to exchange it for free.

I own a large commuter backpack and a large messenger backpack and have owned a medium and large Timbuk2. Bag build quality is on par, and while Timbuk2 does have better style, the price difference is significantly higher.
the banjo brothers backpack looks perfect for my upcoming commuter needs. what size would you recommend to carry a change of clothes, shoes and a towel and wash cloth? also, is there a chest strap or belt to help stabilize the load? the pic on their website doesn't really show one way or the other.
Old 04-23-14, 05:35 PM
jvsabas

Bikes: Holdsworth Competition, Pogliaghi Road, Surly Cross Check, Sette Ace, SE Draft, Trek 970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by metz1295
the banjo brothers backpack looks perfect for my upcoming commuter needs. what size would you recommend to carry a change of clothes, shoes and a towel and wash cloth? also, is there a chest strap or belt to help stabilize the load? the pic on their website doesn't really show one way or the other.
Size depends on how much you're willing to compress your clothes. I own a large. I use approx 2/3 of the 2000 cu.in. capacity packing a U-lock, laptop, dress shirt and slacks, shoes, pump, notebook, etc. The extra room is useful in case I need to bring extra stuff along or pickup something on the way home.

The downside of so much room is that you can actually carry too much! I know I can get by with a medium pack, but I prefer the extra space. The large pack is useful as carry on luggage when I fly. One time, a TSA Nazi made me put the pack in the carry on luggage sizer. It would not fit and she would not let me into the security line until I took stuff out to make it fit the sizer.

I can post pics of the pack's capacity for bike commuting if you're curious. You might also want to check this review out for another perspective.

https://urbanvelo.org/banjo-brothers...uter-backpack/

As for straps, the shoulders are wide and distributes weigh evenly. It has a sternum strap and waist belt. Even with 50 lbs on my back, so long as weight is distributed evenly, the pack is very stable and a comfortable fit.
Old 04-23-14, 06:28 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 371 Posts
I like my Knog bag, but I think they dropped them from their products. It converts to a pannier with an attachment. I've been using it for a few years now and haven't found any reason to go to something else. It has a padded section for a 15" laptop and enough room for some clothes.