Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

SPD adapter plate for boots? Am I crazy?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

SPD adapter plate for boots? Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-19, 11:47 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I like the video better than the product link. I saved some SPD sandals that wore out, hoping I could get someone to put the sole on some shoes for me. But I never got around to it, so after a long while, I tossed them. I shouldn't have. Has anyone added SPD to a shoe of any kind?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-12-19, 02:02 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormy Archer
presented without comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c5WpDOYlTA

https://road.cc/content/news/76979-t...-cycling-shoes

^ this link is probably more relevant
The catch to those methods is it requires tearing apart shoes to do the conversion. My strap on adapters don't - they leave the boots entirely intact. For the time being, for me anyway, the adapters I made suit my needs. down the road maybe I'll get a dedicated pair of winter cycling boots instead.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 11-12-19, 10:28 PM
Stormy Archer
Peugeot PSV10 or somethin

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
The catch to those methods is it requires tearing apart shoes to do the conversion. My strap on adapters don't - they leave the boots entirely intact. For the time being, for me anyway, the adapters I made suit my needs. down the road maybe I'll get a dedicated pair of winter cycling boots instead.
That's fair. Though it's worth mentioning that I think the only tearing up that you HAVE to do is cut a hole in the sole for the cleats. Especially if your shoes already have removable insoles. They kinda went above and beyond in that video.

If anyone has a pair of wrecked SPDs to send me, I'll totally try it and and report back.
Likes For Stormy Archer:
Old 11-12-19, 10:35 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormy Archer
That's fair. Though it's worth mentioning that I think the only tearing up that you HAVE to do is cut a hole in the sole for the cleats. Especially if your shoes already have removable insoles. They kinda went above and beyond in that video.

If anyone has a pair of wrecked SPDs to send me, I'll totally try it and and report back.
Another thought on the subject of cutting in to the soles and this forum section being to the tune of "winter cycling" - the sole is also a prime area for heat loss. Given the boots I am using are winter boots - they are well insulated. Adding non-insulating (or not as insulating) material in place of what is already there will diminish the cold weather performance. Conduction from the cleat clipped in to the pedal will wick away heat. Having the adapters I made entirely external to the boots means, for all intents and purposes, the use of the adapter, speaking for heat loss, is no different than walking on metal at the same cold temperature.
Old 11-19-19, 02:13 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Brilliant. Bravo!

I hope you get a quick release mechanism going. If not velcro then perhaps a couple of old ratchets from cycling shoes you no longer use might work if they were extended.

Since it does not get that cold, and I don't care about looks, I use PET bottle covers on my cycling shoes

Bottle and Shoe Covers by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
but I could not walk up a mountain in my SPD-SLs.

By the way, I wonder how long@KC8QVO's crank arms are, and if they are more than 170mm.

[ Background: It seems to me that I have been experiencing knee pain because my knees got weak, partly because I gave up walking up the stairs and squats, and then minor mis-fitting of my bike (perhaps q factor, crank arm length, not high enough seat to counterbalance the latter, and poorly place Rotorized Biopace chainrings), encouraged me to mis-use float and cleat instability to pedal in a knee destroying way. I kneed to strength my knees, tune up my bike, tighten my cleats (I have moved from yellow to blue) and pedal properly. One of the things that has helped is slightly shorter cranks. I wonder if that may help the OP too.]

Last edited by timtak; 11-20-19 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-01-19, 06:22 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
For a completely different purpose, these products - https://stabil.implus.com/ - go on/off your boots easily and quickly, and stay put while in use. I have an older version of the Maxx2, which is basically a Vibram sole with a set of fairly heavy duty nylon/velcro straps. Good model for a base construction for such a contraption.