Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Aero bar recommendations for ultra endurance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-19, 09:54 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Aero bar recommendations for ultra endurance?

Currently I'm using a Control Tech Aero Cockpit Plus, because it's the only (reputable brand name) model that I've found so far that is both ITU legal, and also short enough to comply on a handlebar with short reach (75mm).

However, I'm wanting to look for something that allows the arm pads to be placed further back and also for bar ends that angle upwards rather than straight ahead. Control Tech has a Scirocco model that can be mounted to the stem, so it seems to fit the bill, but that seems to be unavailable practically everywhere (by practically, I'd say trustworthy/reputable site with a reliable international shipping - Like Amazon, where I originally got my Control Tech).

I've searched around and found another brand called Profile Design, that also seems to be relatively popular with the ultra long distance crowd, however their aero bars are very long and therefore not ITU legal. I suppose they could be cut down to length, but since I've not done anything like that before I'm not sure if that's a big deal or no... but anyways, besides them, are there any other brands that I should be looking at? Reputable brands, not random cheap junk which breaks after the first few rides (I used to have a cheap set, the arm pads were made out of cheap plastic, ripped itself right off the screws after just 2 rides).
Old 11-15-19, 09:40 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 82 Posts
Profile T2+DL if you can still find them?

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...caAmt3EALw_wcB
Old 11-15-19, 11:27 PM
siebengang

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Syntace XXS?

The ITU confirming Syntace XXS is 200 mm long from the center of the handlebars and places the arm rests behind the handlebars.

Apart from PBP, which ultra events require ITU conformity?
Old 11-16-19, 08:50 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I got a set of the Profile Design Supersonic Ergo 35c bars earlier this season and like them a lot in the right circumstances. They have the most adjustability of any of the bars I found, so you can get the pads way back and the extensions super short if that's what you're going for. It was pretty easy for me to find a comfortable position almost immediately. I don't know anything about ITU regulations, but if that were something I cared about I would have two different sets of aero bars, and probably two different bikes to go with them.
Old 11-17-19, 08:32 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Interesting to note that Profile Design used to have short ITU draft-legal bars but no longer list any in their product catalog. Wonder what happened?

Syntace has a couple of interesting models, I'll check em out.

The Supersonic Ergo 35c is probably my second best choice if I had to make a pick for its u-shaped arm rests and flexibility to position them behind the handlebars... just need to trim that length...

Anyway I just use ITU regulations as a reference because the new PBP regulations on aero bars is practically similar, and I'd rather get accustomed to the lowest common denominator rather than ride with a longer bar and then be forced to compromise on comfort if an event allows only short ITU-style bars (e.g. PBP 2023... probably).
Old 11-18-19, 12:52 PM
tomgdaly
The Crank

Bikes: I think it's six at the moment, ranging from a Scott Foil to a 1979 TI Raleigh Team Edition

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Anyone know if I can get a pair of Profile Design T3 aluminum - I can’t find them advertised anywhere so I presume they are discontinued.
Old 11-18-19, 04:19 PM
MetinUz

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Anyway I just use ITU regulations as a reference because the new PBP regulations on aero bars is practically similar, and I'd rather get accustomed to the lowest common denominator rather than ride with a longer bar and then be forced to compromise on comfort if an event allows only short ITU-style bars (e.g. PBP 2023... probably).
There is a simple reason ITU legal bars are hard to find -- there is a very small market for it. They can be used in draft legal ITU events, but only by pros, not by age group amateurs.

PBP relaxed their usual ban shortly before the 2019 event, but there is no telling what the rules will be next time around. It's unclear to me that they offer any benefits at PBP.
Old 11-19-19, 12:25 PM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I like the profile design Airstryke with the elbow pads that rotate out of the way when you're not in aero position. Not the lightest but I appreciate having the extra handlebar position when climbing. And the one piece design makes mounting a headlight on the front end easier.

Airstryke on Amazon
Old 11-19-19, 01:16 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
Originally Posted by MetinUz
It's unclear to me that they offer any benefits at PBP.
I was wondering if they would have helped into that pernicious headwind. I certainly rode the drops far more than I usually do, to the extent that I was starting to worry my left arm was getting too weak to be safe. I think most randos I know that use aero bars do it to relax.
Old 11-19-19, 09:35 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I was wondering if they would have helped into that pernicious headwind. I certainly rode the drops far more than I usually do, to the extent that I was starting to worry my left arm was getting too weak to be safe. I think most randos I know that use aero bars do it to relax.
I think it would have. On my most recent 400k there was a lot of wind and there was a very noticeable difference in speed (up to 2km/h) in aero position compared to riding on the hoods, while riding at approx. the same power.
Old 11-20-19, 04:18 PM
MetinUz

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I guess I am questioning if the ITU bars would be comfortable enough on a 1200K. They are basically intended for a few minutes at a time when the rider is at the front of the pack. I was having a hard time riding in the drops by day 3.
Old 11-20-19, 09:57 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

The most comfortable way I've found with riding ITU bars is to ride them as if you were riding invisible aero bars -- i.e. you aren't really gripping the end of the bars like you would with normal length aero-bars, and you steer with your elbows. My hands just sort of dangle over the front section (which either has a horizontal bar or U-shaped end, depending on the specific model) more for stability purposes than for control/steering. I've ridden this way for up to 600k -- so no idea if this will hold up for a 1200k -- but I'll say that core strength is the key. Don't hunch and keep your shoulders below your ears (or whatever the correct term is), otherwise its a surefire way down sore neck road.

If you try to grip the ITU bars, that puts your elbows further back and makes you rest on your forearms closer to your wrists than your elbows, which gets uncomfortable fast.

(edit)
Found a photo of Darren Franks riding in PBP:
Notice how his hands are just more-or-less dangling off the bar ends with a very light/minimal grip, rather than firmly gripping them like how you would with a normal time trial bike, or track bike, or on normal length aero bars.

Last edited by atwl77; 11-20-19 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-27-19, 08:12 AM
c.miller64

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tomgdaly
Anyone know if I can get a pair of Profile Design T3 aluminum - I can’t find them advertised anywhere so I presume they are discontinued.
They've been discontinued, but you can still find them brand new on Ebay for around $80-90
Old 12-28-19, 10:14 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
...Notice how his hands are just more-or-less dangling off the bar ends with a very light/minimal grip, rather than firmly gripping them like how you would with a normal time trial bike, or track bike, or on normal length aero bars.
How is that safer than normal length bars? Wouldn't surprise be if PBP changes the rules again to allow normal aero-bars.
Old 01-02-20, 09:43 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by kingston
How is that safer than normal length bars? Wouldn't surprise be if PBP changes the rules again to allow normal aero-bars.
No idea. I'm just assuming they're mimicking ITU rules for simplicity... and as for the reason, I'd make a wild guess and maybe they think shorter bars are less likely to skewer the guy in front in a mass crash sort of situation? /shrugs
Old 01-03-20, 02:48 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
I think they might not want people hunched too far over their bars. I generally don't see that with randonneurs, they are usually pretty upright.