Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for help finding a relaxed fit jacket that blocks wind

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-20, 08:01 AM
alpharalpha

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've been reading thru the threads but mostly about cycling gear. I ride my bike around town so same clothes inside; looking for a relaxed fit hoodie type jacket that's not bulky that'll block wind and look like regular street wear (I'm 6.2' 220lbs so in tall sizes a plus). Here in Central FL we don't get a lot of really cold days but when we do--like today--it can get down in the 30s. Don't want to spend over $75 as it'll only be worn a handful of times during winter. I'm at a loss if should get more of a rain type or if there's a better solution and figured you'd be the group to know. Breathability's not an issue as my rides are fairly short.
Old 01-22-20, 09:05 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by alpharalpha
I've been reading thru the threads but mostly about cycling gear. I ride my bike around town so same clothes inside; looking for a relaxed fit hoodie type jacket that's not bulky that'll block wind and look like regular street wear (I'm 6.2' 220lbs so in tall sizes a plus). Here in Central FL we don't get a lot of really cold days but when we do--like today--it can get down in the 30s. Don't want to spend over $75 as it'll only be worn a handful of times during winter. I'm at a loss if should get more of a rain type or if there's a better solution and figured you'd be the group to know. Breathability's not an issue as my rides are fairly short.
You're in luck, Perl Izumi is having a Clearance sale on everything. If buying P-I, I suggest buying the next size up because they run a bit small
https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...ket/p/19131901
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 01-22-20, 09:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
got a traditional sweatshirt kicking around the house? FWIW I picked up an inexpensive, thin, bright, orange one a cpl years ago for fall riding in the woods & it's quite useful. even fits under my helmet. if I get too warm I just take the hood off. think I got it at Walmart. would be better w/ a zipper, but this one is is so nice & thin. I have a thicker grey one w/ a zipper, that I sometimes use as well, but that hood is too thick to fit under my helmets

also have an inexpensive, thin rain jacket (not cycling specific) that falls into this category. but it doesn't vent well so I have to layer carefully

sometimes a vest is all you need. how about something with zip off arms, so you can regulate / vent more easily?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-22-20 at 10:02 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-23-20, 07:51 PM
AstroEng
Roadkill

Bikes: Novara Verita, Novara Buzz, Radpower Radwagon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought this from REI for a different purpose, but it is intended for what you desire. It's good in moderate wind and light rain.

I'm 6'1" and larger (i.e. fat) and wanted a softshell jacket that would allow me to later underneath. Most softshells I found are very trim cut (like most cycling clothing) and make that difficult. I bring this up because that means that the cut is more casual like a normal jacket.

It doesn't meet your requirement for a hood. I use it over work clothes (typically a polo) or a base layer down to about 30F with no issues. Using the insulated base layer, I wear it down to 20F before I add a fleece layer. On the occasion that I'm riding in work clothes (rare), I wear a sweater jacket as my intermediate layer to stay warm. That's what I mean by room to layer.

I has a little bit of reflective highlights that are mostly unnoticeable in daylight. Obviously, the one I got was orange, but more subdued that typical bike gear. I don't feel tacky wearing it as a jacket if I go out to lunch or something similar during the day.

I like the rear zipper pocket as there is a lot of room to carry gloves, hat, pad lock, or whatever.

I can't tell if it is no longer made, been updated, or just out of stock at REI. I got a XXL on sale for $50 in late winter last year. It might actually be a little big, but works great.

https://www.rei.com/product/136581/c...ng-jacket-mens
Old 01-23-20, 10:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Sounds like you're in much the same situation I am-- my "winter gear" gets worn maybe a dozen times a year. I picked up one of these on Amazon about two months ago, have worn it (I think) five times, and have no regrets.

I'm 6'2" and about 215, so we should have fairly close fit. I do have spidery-long arms ( a 37" sleeve,) and unlike most every other jacket I've ever put on, this one has long enough sleeves. Excellent in the 30s and low 40s. Haven't experienced lower recently.

Best part? 30 bucks.
Old 01-28-20, 06:39 AM
alpharalpha

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
got a traditional sweatshirt kicking around the house? FWIW I picked up an inexpensive, thin, bright, orange one a cpl years ago for fall riding in the woods & it's quite useful. even fits under my helmet. if I get too warm I just take the hood off. think I got it at Walmart. would be better w/ a zipper, but this one is is so nice & thin. I have a thicker grey one w/ a zipper, that I sometimes use as well, but that hood is too thick to fit under my helmets

also have an inexpensive, thin rain jacket (not cycling specific) that falls into this category. but it doesn't vent well so I have to layer carefully

sometimes a vest is all you need. how about something with zip off arms, so you can regulate / vent more easily?
That's what I ended up getting; Columbia's having a winter sale so picked up a pretty beefy sweatshirt and a lined rain/wind jacket
Old 01-28-20, 07:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by alpharalpha
Columbia's having a winter sale so picked up a pretty beefy sweatshirt and a lined rain/wind jacket
happy layering!
Old 01-28-20, 09:48 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
I also have a Columbia rain jacket. I rave about it. It is light-weight and also does a very good job of keeping me dry
Likes For parkbrav: