Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which Domane sl7 eTap or Di2???

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-04-20, 09:14 AM
Nowake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To begin with,I don’t understand gear ratios in my head when I hear numbers.

Although, I do have a good understanding in my legs.

Little ring front

Big ring back

Go up hill

My legs know that.

I’m probably going with the Di2 due to price, and I already have a Ultegra crank arm power meter.

But I’m curious about the difference in the crank cassette gearing ratios.

It seems to me like there is a huge deference in the cranks,

The R8000 is 50/34

And the SRAM Force, 46/33

With not quite as much change in the cassettes,

The Shimano Ultegra HG800-11, is a 11-34, 11 speed

While the SRAM Force, XG-1270, is a 10-33, 12 speed

My questions are...

Is one geared more for gravel, and one for road?

With these comparisons, how is there really that much difference in the 11&12 speed?

Am I really missing something that would make me spend the extra $200?

Thanks
Old 03-04-20, 10:52 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
The differences are relatively minor and, at the end of the day, you're talking about consumables. I'd focus on things like ergonomic differences, reliability and availability before getting down to gearing minutiae.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-04-20, 11:07 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Seems to me like you're idea is already made up! And DI2 is a great choice if you don't mind having wires.

50/34 = 50 tooth on the big ring and 34 on the smaller ring.

Last edited by eduskator; 03-05-20 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-04-20, 11:20 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
The eTap theory is that smaller chainrings and cassette cogs require less energy to spin, thus maximizing the effects of the two watt-bombs extending from the rider’s hips to the bike’s pedals. Smaller is lighter, lighter is faster, faster is better, better is on the podium. Overall, the gear ratios are very similar between the two choices, but the 12 speed cassette offers smaller steps to really fine-tune your cadence. I’d go with the SRAM option if I could. No problem with Shimano’s two top tiers here, but I think the eTap might just b3 the coolest thing in a while. Plenty of pro teams are riding SRAM, too.
Old 03-04-20, 11:28 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
The eTap theory is that smaller chainrings and cassette cogs require less energy to spin
If that's SRAM's theory, they're far dumber than I'd have thought. I'll give them more credit than that and have to assume that you're being intentionally obtuse for semi-comedic purposes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-04-20, 11:51 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
If that's SRAM's theory, they're far dumber than I'd have thought. I'll give them more credit than that and have to assume that you're being intentionally obtuse for semi-comedic purposes.

Smaller chainrings require less energy to turn than larger chainrings in the exact same scenario. (Imagine a 52 tooth chainring turning a 17 in the rear, compared to a 46 tooth chainring turning the same 17. Same cadence, though, will point out the obvious difference.) A smaller chainring, in turn spinning a smaller cog on a cassette, can turn the rear wheel at the same speeds as the big ring bike, but requiring less kinetic energy of rotation, and the smaller components weigh less. I didn’t make this up, nor did I invent it, or purchase it on my new bike. (Not available on my bike.)

A 46x14 is nearly identical to a 52x17 in terms of gearing. Everyone is looking for an advantage, a gimmick, a new feature, an improvement, an innovation... SRAM has one, once again. However it works out remains to be seen, but math doesn’t lie.
Old 03-04-20, 12:48 PM
WhyFi

Smaller chainrings require less energy to turn than larger chainrings in the exact same scenario. (Imagine a 52 tooth chainring turning a 17 in the rear, compared to a 46 tooth chainring turning the same 17. Same cadence, though, will point out the obvious difference.) A smaller chainring, in turn spinning a smaller cog on a cassette, can turn the rear wheel at the same speeds as the big ring bike, but requiring less kinetic energy of rotation, and the smaller components weigh less. I didn’t make this up, nor did I invent it, or purchase it on my new bike. (Not available on my bike.)

A 46x14 is nearly identical to a 52x17 in terms of gearing. Everyone is looking for an advantage, a gimmick, a new feature, an improvement, an innovation... SRAM has one, once again. However it works out remains to be seen, but math doesn’t lie.
Yeah, nope.

I had to see for myself if SRAM were this far out of it - they're not. They went with the smaller 10t so that they could go to smaller chainsets for A) greater range for the big ring, necessitating fewer front shifts and B) a smaller tooth/circumference differential to ease front shift transitions (13 tooth difference for all three available chainsets). People love to rag on SRAM for their front shifting and it seems as if these moves were indeed made to minimize front shifting issues.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-04-20, 05:26 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Ok. I’ve read all kinds of wrong stuff before, so I probably fell for something I read that was incorrect. Thanks for the right info.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 03-04-20, 06:36 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Ok. I’ve read all kinds of wrong stuff before, so I probably fell for something I read that was incorrect. Thanks for the right info.
what you read is technically correct, but the actual advantage is insignificant.
Old 03-05-20, 12:58 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Smaller rings/cogs are lighter and have a minor aero advantage, but have worse friction loss because the chain has to bend more.
Old 03-05-20, 02:30 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Smaller rings/cogs are lighter and have a minor aero advantage, but have worse friction loss because the chain has to bend more.
The total bend is the same though, just shared over fewer links.
Old 03-05-20, 02:42 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
The total bend is the same though, just shared over fewer links.
​​​​​​It's the bending of each roller under load that's important from the standpoint of drivetrain friction. Oversized pulley wheels and enormous chainrings exist, and are used by the pros and record-setting track cyclists, to reduce this. Whether the watts lost due to additional friction matters to amateurs is subjective, but they are real watts.
​​​​​​
Likes For surak:
Old 03-05-20, 04:36 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Gearing ranges are almost identical in both. Bigger chainrings are usually slightly more efficient, though I don't think that a mere mortal can notice it.

Cassette gear spacing is better on the sram one as it has one more cog (that's more noticeable). IMHO, that's the only advantage.

I wouldn't spend $200 for that though. Well... to be fair I wouldn't spend anything on an electronic groupset.
Old 03-05-20, 07:52 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I went with di2 on the new road bike, for a few reasons. I don't need the latest/greatest, and 11spd consumables are cheaper. I prefer the aesthetics of di2 over SRAM's large batteries. The visible wires are minimal so that's a non-issue for me. I've got about 300 miles on the bike and the shifting is absolutely fantastic. The only problem is now I want di2 on my gravel bike.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-05-20, 08:41 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I went with Di2 on my new Domane, absolutely love it and wouldn't want to go back to mechanical if given the choice. While I've never ridden the SRAM setup I'm sure it is a great option too from the reviews I've read.

Advantages of Di2 for me were, I have several chains I rotate through and with Di2 I can just keep using them in the rotation. I also like have one large internal battery that lasts a long, long time as opposed to the individual batteries SRAM uses. A little less expensive although not a big deal. Cassettes are less expensive and I have several Ultegra's in various gear ranges I can just keep on using. Wireless is nice, especially if you are retrofitting but with a new bike like the Domane all the wiring is internal anyway so I don't see it as a major advantage in this case. But if adding it to an older bike I could see wireless saving a ton of build time. And familiarity. I ridden Ultegra for a long time and am familiar and comfortable with Shimano. Parts availability is also much easier to source and I would guess 5 years or more down the road will continue to be.
Old 03-09-20, 08:09 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
The only problem is now I want di2 on my gravel bike.
Hah, I know how you feel... I also want Di2 on my commuter and other bikes