Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Actual tire dimensions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Actual tire dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-20, 04:17 PM
johnny42

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Ultegra, Cervelo P2 105, Litespeed Classic Ultegra, Quintana Roo TeQuilo Dura-Ace, Trek 930 Shimano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actual tire dimensions

If there isn't, there should be a repository/chart of actual tire dimensions listing these variables..... Tire brand/model - size - wheel/rim model.

For example... someone with Hed Jet 6 wheels runs Continental GP5000 clinchers in 25 size. They measure the widest width, and the height and give those numbers.

Many folks use these Conti's and with the trend toward wider tires, many of us with older frames would like to know if they can go wider. I can't find anything on-line with this info. With a chart, you look up the tire and size, and if someone has the same rims/wheels as you has posted, you can see the dimensions and then check your clearances.

I have my 2007 Cevelo R3 with 700x23 Continental GP4000's on Hed Jet 6 wheels. Lots of clearance. I want to run the new GP5000's in 25's or 28's but have no way to determine if I'll have clearance. The HED site is useless and the Continental site is useless. When I talked to Cervelo on the phone, the CSR suggested it was time to get a new Cervelo that accommodates wider tires - fail!

So..... if there was a chart with reader data I could look up this info and get the actual dimensions and then measure my clearance.

This idea is so stupidly easy. It would just take likeminded folks to present their data. Even if there wasn't a chart, folks could post what they have in a specific thread which could be searched. Yes, there'd be a ton of permutations, but for me, I'm sure there's folks using HED Jet 6 with GP5000 tires in 23's, 25's or 28's and they'd love to present the dimensions.

In lieu of that, maybe there could be thread entitled, "Looking for tire dimensions". Someone could post what they're looking for and someone could respond. I think I'll do that right now!
Old 03-09-20, 08:25 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I wonder if mods can pin this thread and let us make a google doc based on a form. I’d be down to design the form and post a link to the resulting spreadsheet.
Old 03-09-20, 08:44 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Internal width is what will affect how wide the tire measures when mounted, so everyone should make sure to note that.

On 19c rims, 25mm GP5Ks measure out to 27mm, 28mm GP5Ks measure to 30mm. I'd have to measure height, but the 28's are def taller, probably by 2-3mm.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-09-20, 10:30 AM
johnny42

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Ultegra, Cervelo P2 105, Litespeed Classic Ultegra, Quintana Roo TeQuilo Dura-Ace, Trek 930 Shimano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up ordering some 25's which should be here this week. My daughter's Trek has 25's on the Bontrager wheels. When I installed her wheels on my Cervelo, there was tons of clearance on sides and top. (I don't know the rim width).

My GP4000 23's appear to be 26mm wide and 26-9/16" or 67.47cm high, assuming my level is accurate. With that diameter, where does the 700c come in to play?
Old 03-09-20, 11:16 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
that would be some chart!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-09-20, 12:49 PM
johnny42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We can always make it simple. Many folks have used the Conti GP's since they've come out. For example, one page (thread) could be devoted to the GP5000's in 25's or more (every bike can fit the 23's ).

Then just show the wheels and the tire dimensions (tube, tubeless, tubular) as mounted.

Easy, just go to the thread with the tire brand/model you want and see if your wheels are there. If so, find the mounted dimensions of the size you want.