Old 03-17-20, 04:51 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Moishe View Post
One of the safest things you can do if you go out the front door of your house is ride a bike. Safest for you and for the rest of the human race. The key is to bring enough Gatorade and PB&J sandwiches so you don’t have to stop anywhere. If you absolutely MUST stop at a convenience store for a bag of twinkies or whatever, avoid any kind of unprotected sex with the clerk, not even a wet tongue kiss.
Good advice. I read somewhere that there was a run on both Twinkies and Ding Dongs.
Old 03-17-20, 05:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10806 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,302 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif View Post
Nice. Is the online system something your club developed or is it a service/system that can be purchased or subscribed to?
You sign in through the club’s website. The ride leader can then print the sign in sheet to bring to the start. It has the names, etc., of the the riders. By signing in on line you agree to the waiver terms.
Old 03-17-20, 06:07 PM
2old

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 73 Posts
Just for interest, Italy and Spain just banned all leisure cycling.
Old 03-17-20, 06:12 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old View Post
Just for interest, Italy and Spain just banned all leisure cycling.
They also banned all leisure motoring.

-mr. bill
Old 03-17-20, 06:16 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 191 Posts
I am a member of a cycling advocacy Facebook group here in the NOLA area. The shop proprietor posted today that she has never been as busy as she has been in the past week.
Old 03-17-20, 06:24 PM
2old

Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
They also banned all leisure motoring.

-mr. bill
I don't know which rock you just crawled out from, but the article just mentioned bicycling, which is what I thought this forum was concerned with. Now, back with you, and you're officially on ignore.
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-17-20, 07:27 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by 2old View Post
I don't know which rock you just crawled out from, but the article just mentioned bicycling, which is what I thought this forum was concerned with.
It is a complete and total distortion to say that they banned leisure cycling when they are restricting MOST activities.

The reason the “article” just mentioned bicycling is because it is a bicycling publication.

A more complete report:

Spain on Lockdown, Weighs Liberties Against Containing Coronavirus

-mr. bill
Old 03-17-20, 07:40 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
I don't do anything stupid or careless during my recreational rides, so I don't see a problem...There are people out there whose jobs are more dangerous than riding a bike, so does that mean that they should stop going to work because of risk of injury ??...I realize that this is a difficult time for everybody and that we all need to be extra cautious but there is no reason to stop doing what we enjoy doing.
The key word is "job". Work vs hobby.
Old 03-18-20, 07:20 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3535 Post(s)
Liked 2,223 Times in 1,280 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
I don't do anything stupid or careless during my recreational rides, so I don't see a problem...There are people out there whose jobs are more dangerous than riding a bike, so does that mean that they should stop going to work because of risk of injury ??...I realize that this is a difficult time for everybody and that we all need to be extra cautious but there is no reason to stop doing what we enjoy doing.

I think we better watch it with the analogies--in answer to the seemingly rhetorical question, I think there probably will be jobs that get shut down if they're deemed too dangerous in a shortage of first responders.

Reportedly, the Treasury Secretary said the US might be looking at 20% unemployment in the next few months.
Old 03-18-20, 09:10 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400t, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1991 PDG Paramount OS, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 64 Posts
Yes, just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit.
Tim
Old 03-19-20, 05:28 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

MUP ride last evening on a not-crowded path I'm using for my after-work ride. Lots of dogs, kids and teenagers. All very friendly and cooperative while respecting distances. Just one jerk who close-passed some pedestrians and whistled at them instead of announce (his lips, not a whistle). No one is listening for that, and it really doesn't carry. I was really annoyed with him because he had been meandering back and forth on the path then sped up because he saw me coming, so he only fast-passed them because he wanted not to get passed by me (I was slowing just so I wouldn't have to do the double pass simultaneously). After I passed the pedestrians, I performed my first "eff you" pass of the year. Not bragging, he just was about half as fast as he thought he was and his jerk maneuver around the pedestrians really made me mad..

Last edited by livedarklions; 03-19-20 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-19-20, 06:25 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 142 Posts
Riding in a Pandemic

Here’s an on site report from Boston this morning
:
Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
… Stay safe, stay healthy! (Let us wish that for everyone.)

Good to see. I managed to get out late yesterday afternoon and yesteryesterday afternoon also. Yesterday's traffic was light. The MM out of Alewife was so busy that I decided to go elsewhere. Did some exploring in what I think must be east Arlington
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
The Minuteman Bikepath is very popular and traverses some of Metro Boston's foremost Revolutionary War History…
Old 03-19-20, 07:08 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: Defy | Revolt

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
Yes. Big huge pandemic

1600 known cases in the USA

that divided by 320,000,000 = a whopping .000005 percent

And in less than a week it's more than quadrupled, probably more since it's still being undertested/reported. Plenty of people still completely ignoring recommendations for social distancing, like the 20 or so people I saw playing basketball at the park yesterday, so those numbers will continue to grow, probably even faster. It's in every state now. I will continue to ride solo (unless it gets banned), and as safely as possible, no stops, no contact. No need to panic, just be smart and safe.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-19-20, 07:37 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer View Post
And in less than a week it's more than quadrupled, probably more since it's still being undertested/reported. Plenty of people still completely ignoring recommendations for social distancing, like the 20 or so people I saw playing basketball at the park yesterday, so those numbers will continue to grow, probably even faster. It's in every state now. I will continue to ride solo (unless it gets banned), and as safely as possible, no stops, no contact. No need to panic, just be smart and safe.

Just FYI--the kibosh was put on the "is this pandemic real" discussion on this thread. Please don't start it up again by quoting the previous assertions that it is not. Otherwise, the rest of your post is on-topic and fine.
Old 03-19-20, 07:41 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
Yes. Big huge pandemic

1600 known cases in the USA

that divided by 320,000,000 = a whopping .000005 percent

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer View Post
Yes, this fatuous bit of elementary-school statistical analysis deserved to be resurrected and called out.

But we should cut Raj some slack. He is merely a little bit behind the Trump curve. We should expect him soon to post that he knew it was a pandemic all along.

Last edited by Moishe; 03-19-20 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For Moishe:
Old 03-19-20, 08:11 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Yes, this elementary-school statistical analysis deserved to be resurrected. But Raj is merely a bit behind the Trump curve. We should expect him soon to post that he knew it was a pandemic all along.

Please don't resurrect this crappy argument. Raj was wrong to post that stuff here, the moderator agreed with me as OP that it needed to be shut down, it was. This thread is about how we're dealing with the current situation, not answering garbage arguments and seeking retribution.

Don't make me sorry I took you off my ignore list.
Old 03-19-20, 08:42 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: Defy | Revolt

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Just FYI--the kibosh was put on the "is this pandemic real" discussion on this thread. Please don't start it up again by quoting the previous assertions that it is not. Otherwise, the rest of your post is on-topic and fine.
No worries. Hope everyone stays safe and is able to keep riding.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-19-20, 08:55 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
Visited bank yesterday to deposit a paper check. Place reeked of disinfectant, and customers observed signs we maintain a 6' distance lining up, but were a bit off on the 6' part. I am lifelong DIY carpenter and estimate avg. distance was 4' in my line. Don
Old 03-19-20, 09:33 AM
2old

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo View Post
Visited bank yesterday to deposit a paper check. Place reeked of disinfectant, and customers observed signs we maintain a 6' distance lining up, but were a bit off on the 6' part. I am lifelong DIY carpenter and estimate avg. distance was 4' in my line. Don
Good bit more distance than the lines around COSTCO where the separation seems to be about 6".
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-19-20, 09:54 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Please don't resurrect this crappy argument. Raj was wrong to post that stuff here, the moderator agreed with me as OP that it needed to be shut down, it was. This thread is about how we're dealing with the current situation, not answering garbage arguments and seeking retribution.

Don't make me sorry I took you off my ignore list.
Well this IS a surprise! I had no idea I was out on probation. I think it would be best for all concerned if you put me back in your ignore list, and attach a note to my lapel “Do not resuscitate.”
Old 03-19-20, 10:31 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Well this IS a surprise! I had no idea I was out on probation. I think it would be best for all concerned if you put me back in your ignore list, and attach a note to my lapel “Do not resuscitate.”

Or, y'know, you could just resist the urge to drag this thread off-topic and stop being a cheap-shot artist. You're really not very good at it anyway.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-19-20, 12:09 PM
slowpacer

Bikes: 2014 Sirrus Comp Disc, 1997 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I am a member of a cycling advocacy Facebook group here in the NOLA area. The shop proprietor posted today that she has never been as busy as she has been in the past week.
A few days ago i noticed more than usual cyclists around here as well, however it's been rainy for the past week or so but that day was nice and sunny. I for one go for a few mile daily ride if the weather permits, although i am a prime candidate to get hit by this virus because of my age, heart disease and diabetes.
Old 03-19-20, 12:34 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 143 Posts
Yes, this fatuous bit of elementary-school statistical analysis deserved to be resurrected and called out.
The .000005% number is off by a factor of 700. The real number is (presently) just under .004%. Cases are still increasing at about 40% per day, or 10x per week.
Old 03-19-20, 01:27 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
I'm loving it

Everyday there are less and less vehicles on the roadways, despite extremely low gas prices; I've seen it as low as $1.70
Old 03-19-20, 04:42 PM
mr_bill

For people in MASSACHUSETTS:

No idea if they’ve moved this out of the paywall.

Don’t care.

Who to listen to? Kinda experts, or actual the F experts:

Yes, it’s OK if you want to get out of the house.

Massachusetts Public Health Commissioner Monica Bharel, said Wednesday, “Yes, you can walk outside.”

“It’s OK to go outside. It’s important to go outside,” she said, whether it’s to hike, take a bike ride, or walk the dog.

But, she said, “Please remember to wash your hands, especially when you come in from outside.”
Nota bene. If you are on lockdown or shelter in place, listen to local authorities. But listening to some random on the internut?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-20-20 at 07:53 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.