Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any optometrists in here...?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-20, 07:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I'd love a second opinion on what mine told me. These places are drastically reducing their capacity for social distancing and extra disinfecting work, so it will be challenging. With that in mind, I'll be grateful for a sanity check...
Old 03-20-20, 02:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Any sort of health/medical related work inherently involves proximity to patients. I worked for years in health care, including with dialysis patients where hepatitis, HIV and other bloodborne pathogens are common, and who often have compromised immune systems so there are concerns about airborne pathogens.

We took normal precautions for that era, including wearing ordinary surgical masks when appropriate. Most transmission of flu and corona viruses is from droplets -- sneezing and coughing -- and surgical masks are effective for both parties in reducing the risk.

Ditto, handwashing, gloves where appropriate, lots of disinfecting workstations between patients. We typically used bleach in water. Works fine. The main reason some folks prefer other disinfectants is the unpleasant odor of bleach.

In years of health care work I never caught any cooties from patients or co-workers. But within a year of leaving the service (as a Navy Hospital Corpsman) and finally quitting my last job in dialysis and switching to journalism, I ended up with Hepatitis A. Got it from my toddler age kids, who got it at daycare. They were fine within a few days. I was sick for months.

Seems like my auto-immune system went haywire after that. But for all I know it could have been triggered by the zillions of vaccinations we received in the military, with delayed onset of symptoms. No way of knowing now.

Good reminder that often our greatest health and safety risks are at home.

Because I was a caregiver for various older family members for years, up until 2018 when my mom died, I always kept a decent stock of medical supplies, including masks. So I already had a box of 25 surgical masks when the coronavirus scare began. I wore one on the bus the other day en route to a medical appointment. There was one guy on the bus hacking and coughing, then rubbing snot on his clothes. Sitting right up front where everyone had to pass him. I'd seen him on the bus before and he seems mentally disabled, so it's hard to get angry with someone who just can't help the way they are. The city bus employees were disinfecting buses several times a day, wiping down most surfaces passengers would tough, and steam cleaning the outside areas.

I hadn't planned to isolate myself this soon -- we don't really have much of an outbreak here... yet. But after that bus ride and medical appointment, I decided to avoid friends and group cycling events for now, just in case I've picked up the Super Cooties.

Last edited by canklecat; 03-20-20 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-20-20, 04:29 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I'm going to stay away from any health care facilities if I can at all avoid it until we are on the other side this crisis (unless I contract COVID-19 and manage to recover). I have dental appt. in May and Eye Exam + Physical scheduled in June. Just yesterday I added reminders to my calendar for 1 week before each appt. reminding me to call and cancel each one if we are still in the middle of the pandemic which looks to be about a 99% certainty. Since none of them are critical to my immediate well being putting them off a few months or even a year seems prudent. Even if they do take precautions it isn't a chance I'm going to take. This really doesn't address your question but just my 2¢ worth.
Old 03-20-20, 05:54 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I actually went in for an eye exam and new glasses 3 days ago. They were asking questions about my health and possible exposure to the virus, they were wiping down everything right in front of me before I used any of the equipment. Other than the general anxiety regarding this virus issue,.. I felt safe
Old 03-20-20, 06:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My wife works for a health care provider. They've instructed in-plan vision providers to stop doing routine exams/check-ups for the time being.
Old 03-20-20, 07:32 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Sure - I like to think of myself as a "the glass is half-full" kind of guy.