Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Fuji repair

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Fuji repair

Old 12-11-19, 09:42 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Fuji repair

A few days ago, it seems my cat got ambitious and knocked my dear vintage Fuji off its rack. After quelling nausea, I've inquired with a few local framebuilders, but I wanted to post here as well.Some history:
  • This is a 1986 Fuji League. Ishiwata quad-butted “Valite” tubeset.
  • I bought this frame used in 2003. I suspect it had low miles on it. I have put somewhere north of 10k miles on it since, including around 5k of loaded touring.
  • The couplers were installed in 2006.
  • This exact portion of downtube was replaced in 2013 due to rusting at the coupler junction (it was stored outside for one year). I believe the frame builder used a Tange tube. At the time, the frame builder said the rest of the frame was in good shape, but this would be the third time for the head tube lug to be under the torch, and the third time for the coupler as well.
  • I’m about 140 lbs, and I only use the bike for fast, fair weather recreational riding now. Maybe 3,000 miles yearly.
As near as I can tell by eyeballing it, the head tube and seat tube are still coplanar…I DO want a safe bike to ride, not just wall art.

I had a lovely convo with Peter Weigle yesterday, and he suggested, rather kindly, that I'd be better off just acquiring another vintage Fuji. Do you agree? Would you venture a replacement of this downtube, or is this totaled? Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Sincerely,
Oliver

Old 12-13-19, 07:54 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Can the dent be removed without cutting or drilling, touched up and painted over? Or just paint and ride it as is.
Old 12-13-19, 09:14 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 1,927 Posts
If the bike still rides well, e.g. no alignment problems, I'd just leave it alone. It may be possible to roll out some of the dent, but the proximity to the bottle mounts may limit this. And rolling out the dents would ruin the paint in that area as well. I don't think another down tube replacement is a good idea.
Old 12-14-19, 09:03 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I'll offer a contradictory opinion. A tube replacement by someone that knows what they are doing shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-15-19, 10:18 AM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'll offer a contradictory opinion. A tube replacement by someone that knows what they are doing shouldn't be a problem.
Would you be willing to try on this frame? I notice you're in PA, so shipping wouldn't be too bad from NYC....
Old 12-15-19, 12:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I'm not in business because insurance costs too much. Shipping to Bilenky or Franklin Frames shouldn't be too bad. Or you can ask Porter. He's in Brooklyn https://www.portercycles.com/
Old 12-15-19, 01:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
I was going to add that this tube replacement should be easier then the typical. What with one end being a S&S coupler. Perhaps the greater challenge would be pulling the tube out of the forward half of the coupler. Perhaps S&S can supply a replacement half? Andy (Who has high regard for Fujis of this period)
Old 12-15-19, 08:38 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

people pull tubes out of SnS couplers every day. Of course, you could replace it out of an abundance of caution
Old 04-01-20, 08:59 PM
countalmaviva 

Fuji repair successful!

Stephen Bilenky came through! It is the same frame -- just a new color! Thanks to all who posted with their thoughts here.

Old 04-02-20, 08:05 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Thanks for posting the after pics. That bike was worth saving.
Old 04-02-20, 11:20 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
...and the cat?